FINAL BATTLE: Sony HDR-XR550 vs Panasonic HDC-HS700 ??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1.Sony HDD 240GB vs Panasonic HDD 240GB
2.29.8mm wide angle lens vs 35mm wide angle lens
3.10x optical zoom vs 12x optical zoom
4. 20x "smart zoom" vs 18x "intelligent zoom" (Intelligent Resolution Tech.)
5.3,5" LCD 921k vs 3,0" LCD 231k
6.Built in GPS vs .......?..........
7.24Mbps 1080i50 rec vs 17Mbps 1080i50 rec
8..........?............ vs 1080p50 native rec at 28Mbps
9..........?............ vs 1080p25 non native "Cinema Mode"
10.Viewfinder 201.6K dots vs 0.27" Wide EVF (123,200 dots)
11.A/V Remote jack vs ...............?.....................
12.plenty of available accesories vs limited accesories ?
13.24Mbps records to Blue Rays vs 28Mbps does not!
14. 37mm lens 1.8f vs 46mm lens 1.5f

I was considering Canon s21 at first as well as JVC HM1 and even Sanyo, Samsung and Hitachi but in the end is about those TWO:
The Panasonic HDC-HS700 or Sony HDR-XR550 ?!?!?

I would like to have a Sony 550 with all its features + Panasonics Progressive recording modes, 3x mos sensor and its bright larger lens and some extras!

or

Panasonic700 with its all features :-) + Sony's GPS , Large LCD ,wired remote option/tripod with wired remote option, wider view , more accesorries and software, 2 types of memo cards, better batteries and ergonomy as well fit and finish...

Iteresting links:
......WILL ADD SOON;-)

Anybody decided yet???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So why did we need another thread for this?
post #3 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

So why did we need another thread for this?

This thread appears to be aimed at the hard drive versions. The other one is covering the flash memory versions. At least, that's the only reason I could see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM

High resolution LCD and GPS wont make your videos better
It's clear that Canon dropped the balls for this year (lol HFS20 is HFS10 with 24p)

I personally don't care if 1920x1080p60 can "fit" on a bluray disc, 10 years from now bluray will be properly replaced just like CD and DVDs

So it's

29.8 Wide angle with 10xZoom vs 35 Wide angle with 12xZoom
1920x1080i60 vs 1920x1080p60
F1.8 Lens Versus F1.5 lens
The BEST proven OIS vs "promised" unproven improved OIS "yet"

Panasonic Camcorder is lighter/smaller than Sony and shoot better still images by far with more settings available for still shots if you care about photos with your camcorder.

Sony Camcorder show less noise in low light however Panasonic says that they have improved low light a lot so we will have to wait for reviews before we can tell

If both camcorders video quality was on par and Panasonic Fixed their low light noise+OIS i see no reason why would anyone get Sony camcorder over panasonic

So far I'm getting CX550v because it does offer the best OIS in the industry and people won't care about 2-3% less video quality on their HDTV but they will get a headache if the video was shaky, hell with Sony powerful OIS it seems as if you are using a tripod all the time lol
post #5 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

GPS is very useful feature for many things, especially during traveling and making lots and lots of videos or for easy finding back the iteresting places in the future..and while it won't make your movies look batter it will help to keep them in oreder.
But large high quality LCD for sure helps to make better movies!
- as you see better what you gonna capture,
if the moving subject is in the frame etc.
Also gives you better judgement of the final results so you can delete some material on the field..

Best stabilization is nice to have- but not a must since it deteriorate the quality a bit.

Also for best results is good to use tripod and with sony you have 2 choices: the sony tripod with the remote or wired remote
-Very imortant for good shots!

I do not care what media will be in ten years but for now Blue Ray is limited media and hopefully it will change soon -if not? you cannot fully use the Panasonic potental if you gonna record to dvd ,avchd or blue rays anyway!

I also do not care for stills in the camcoder!
I have DSLR for that(which by the way records hd videos-dont care too;-))

I do not care that Panasonic is lighter as I like to feel the camera(less shaking-OIS;-) and often use tripod..

Another issue is manual ring- is good only when using optional mic as this mike is too close to the ring! That is why sony placed it far from the microphone I guess..

No wired remote input(lanc) are you joking Panasonic?

Also with todays prices of some large memory cards I prefer the capacity of HDD for now and maybe later use a large 64gb+ cards as a bonus

And to fill full HDD is roughly 20hours of best quality video
(good for short vacation)lol

So Panasonic will convince me only if the quality of its videos will be really really better than thats from Sony?

If its just 5% I won't bother..
post #6 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 PM

You can get a GPS data logger the size of a thumb drive for less than $50. Just sync up the video time with the logger time and you have your GPS tracking. It's a better solution if you're importing and editing video on a Mac.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Is there any good gps tracker/software for videos?
is it compatible with Pansonic hdc-hs700?
thanks,
post #8 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Gino, you are doing it "wrong"
If you dont care about the superior 1920x1080p60 which is "superior" for normal people and you dont care about OIS or camera size etc and want to use tripod.......

Then why the hell are you getting either of these camcorders? just get GH1

This video was shot with GH1
And it cost less than Sony (BTW colors are not altered or graded in the video, this is straight out of camera colors)

Just search about GH1 in vimeo and getting blown away? here is a link http://vimeo.com/videos/search:gh1/p...rmat:thumbnail

This Camera would eat both panasonic and sony camcorders alive and it perform just like a 20.000$~ RED camcorder without the bulky size.

Unlike other DSLRs GH1 got full manual control over video and there is OIS+Continues auto focus too (Which every other DSLR doesn't have) GH1 is not a DSLR though, it's a Four third.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino770 View Post

Is there any good gps tracker/software for videos?
is it compatible with Pansonic hdc-hs700?
thanks,

There's nothing on the Mac that I can find, but it would be nice to keep some GPS data for the time when I can use it. I wish the small-scale GPS technology had been around back when I went to Alaska in 1994 because I have video that I can't associate with a particular location.
post #10 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the help ,but I'm more and more confused!!

GH1 is nice but I need a real camcorder this time not DSLR or Micro 4/3 with video. I need high capacity and all camcorder funcionality plus best possible quality and features for reasonable price and of reasonable size.

Is Sony hdr-xr550 video quality good enough?
Also my final results will be recorded to blue ray so I need to match best possible blue ray disc quality .
Sony records in 24Mbps which I think is good?

By the way can you store original Panasonics hdc-hs700 videos in full
1080p60 on the blue ray recorder hdd and play them in native format on the 1080p hdtv ? ?
post #11 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for all the help ,but I'm more and more confused!!
Is Sony hdr-xr550 video quality good enough?
Also my final results will be recorded to blue ray so I need to match best possible blue ray disc quality .
Sony records in 24Mbps which I think is good?

I have the CX500V and have been pleased as expected with its daylight filming quality and blown away by its low-light low-noise quality. It was rare enough at release that I joined YouTube to post some clips as examples. So I definitely find the quality good enough for my uses. I also see mention of these being used as B-cams for professional videographers (secondary cams) so they must meet some criteria for those people as well. But I'm an amateur filming for my own memories.

You may want to browse for previous threads were people discuss selecting among different cams. You're looking for the blend of feature and price that matters to you so beware of someone who says "this is the best cam ever and no one should buy anything else ever". They're overlooking the personal nature of camcorder use. Decide roughly what you want to film. Also decide on things like type of media for recording, etc. Unfortunately, there's no substitute for reading a lot if you have very specific requirements.

The other piece of advice repeated in these threads will be: don't buy just on specs or reviews, go to a store and get your hands on the competing cams to make sure you'd be happy carrying a given model around, holding it while filming is comfortable to you, etc. Specs don't tell you anything about the look and feel of the cam in your hand, or how good the LCD screen or viewfinder is through your eyes. So if you're not in a blazing hurry, always try to get your hands on the camcorders instead of buying based on specs, pictures, and reviews.

User opinions at Amazon and Best Buy and other sites also may give you valuable info that you won't get from reviews.
post #12 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by seph22 View Post

GH1 is not a DSLR though, it's a Four third.

The GH1 is a Four third EVIL and Olympus makes Four third DSLRs.
post #13 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

The GH1 is a Four third EVIL and Olympus makes Four third DSLRs.

How does it compare to Canon 5d MK II ?
post #14 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:

5D does not offer full Manual control/24p over video as far as i know (7D and the new T2i does though) none of these cameras got OIS (Only works for Stills not video) or Continues auto Focus (You have to press the shutter button everytime you change focus or use manual control) and all of them suffer from HIGH noise sound when you change focus

GH1 doesn't suffer from these problems at all

And BTW Bluray handle panasonic 1920x1080p60 videos just fine the problem is burning them on DVD (Which is limited by 17mpbs), you can burn the Video as DATA on any bluray even if the codec is not supported by bluray but it means you can't create "VIDEO Bluray disc with menus and all" using panasonic coded "unless you convert it"

I'm not sure about your HD recorder but my PS3 can play 1920x1080p60 40mpbs videos just fine with 0% slowdown.
post #15 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At this time you cannot author a 1080 60p Blu-Ray disc although yes the PS3 plays it but it struggles a lot. The speed isn't always real time. Before the PS3 came out, Sony mentioned that the PS3's is capable of playing back 2 Blu-Ray streams at the same time and they recently said that it'll be upgradeable to 3D very soon by firmware update. Once that happen, native 1080 60p files may bee able to playback 100% real time all the time but then again maybe Sony won't want the PS3 to help push sales of Panasonic's new camcorders and it may still struggle even after the update.

Until the PS3 ever become 100% reliable for the playback of 1080 60p footage you can always put the files on a Data Blu-Ray disc and hook up your computer (if it's powerful enough) to your HD TV screen.

Now that I think about it, the newer PS3 slims are a bit different so maybe their able to playback the footage 100% real time. Somebody should put 1080 60p files in one of those and see if it plays back in real time.
post #16 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the link to Testvideo (50p): Panasonic HDC TM 700 P :

http://www.videoaktiv.de/Testvideos/...42&joscclean=1

& BTW thank you for all the comments!
post #17 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

At this time you cannot author a 1080 60p Blu-Ray disc although yes the PS3 plays it but it struggles a lot. The speed isn't always real time. Before the PS3 came out, Sony mentioned that the PS3's is capable of playing back 2 Blu-Ray streams at the same time and they recently said that it'll be upgradeable to 3D very soon by firmware update. Once that happen, native 1080 60p files may bee able to playback 100% real time all the time but then again maybe Sony won't want the PS3 to help push sales of Panasonic's new camcorders and it may still struggle even after the update.

Until the PS3 ever become 100% reliable for the playback of 1080 60p footage you can always put the files on a Data Blu-Ray disc and hook up your computer (if it's powerful enough) to your HD TV screen.

Now that I think about it, the newer PS3 slims are a bit different so maybe their able to playback the footage 100% real time. Somebody should put 1080 60p files in one of those and see if it plays back in real time.

http://dandygadget.com/2010/02/23/pa...y-disc-player/
post #19 of 39 Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

GPS is very useful feature for many things, especially during traveling and making lots and lots of videos or for easy finding back the iteresting places in the future..and while it won't make your movies look batter it will help to keep them in oreder.
But large high quality LCD for sure helps to make better movies!
- as you see better what you gonna capture,
if the moving subject is in the frame etc.
Also gives you better judgement of the final results so you can delete some material on the field..

Best stabilization is nice to have- but not a must since it deteriorate the quality a bit.

Also for best results is good to use tripod and with sony you have 2 choices: the sony tripod with the remote or wired remote
-Very imortant for good shots!

I do not care what media will be in ten years but for now Blue Ray is limited media and hopefully it will change soon -if not? you cannot fully use the Panasonic potental if you gonna record to dvd ,avchd or blue rays anyway!

I also do not care for stills in the camcoder!
I have DSLR for that(which by the way records hd videos-dont care too;-))

I do not care that Panasonic is lighter as I like to feel the camera(less shaking-OIS;-) and often use tripod..

Another issue is manual ring- is good only when using optional mic as this mike is too close to the ring! That is why sony placed it far from the microphone I guess..

No wired remote input(lanc) are you joking Panasonic?

Also with todays prices of some large memory cards I prefer the capacity of HDD for now and maybe later use a large 64gb+ cards as a bonus

And to fill full HDD is roughly 20hours of best quality video
(good for short vacation)lol

So Panasonic will convince me only if the quality of its videos will be really really better than thats from Sony?

If its just 5% I won't bother..

A couple of thoughts in response:

1. The CX550V will have the high-res LCD like the XRs.

2. Someone else pointed out that shaky film is really hard to watch even if the optics and quality of capture are flawless. For me, I'll take top-notch stabilization over a few percentage points of tehnical picture quality any day! I have some really pretty pictures in shaky video from a few years ago that I cringe to watch now.

3. Handheld with good stabilization, I think you'll never be able to really perceive any difference in picture quality except as noted above. If you're on tripod, you'll turn the stabilization off, typically, so this doesn't even apply there.
post #20 of 39 Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think I will go with Panasonic hdc-hs700 or hdc-tm700!

I will miss that GPS feature from Sony which I really like and often need
but hopfully will trade it for better video results!

PS. As I know Sony's video & stills GPS-CS3KA GPS tracker only works for stills from other DSLRs than Sony and ONLY for SONY hanycams!...Hmm
post #21 of 39 Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

See the Red One, Canon 5D Mk II, and Panasonic Lumix GH1 Footage Comparison on Vimeo.

I can't post the link because all of my posts from 2006 etc are gone since I have not posted here in a few years and I need to make three posts to be in good standing .
post #22 of 39 Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red One, Canon 5D Mk II, and Panasonic Lumix GH1 Footage Comparison:

post #23 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

About these cameras above, do they all have the 4gb card/format limit ?

What I do not understand about some camcorder and camera is why my panny hs350 that record on HD formatted in FAT32, can record 8 straight hours or more of video automatically splitting the files each 4gb, and instead some other cameras (like the sanyo hd2000 or maybe the ones above) can't....

thnak you
post #24 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM

How does Sony's AWB compare to Panasonic's? I love my Panny cam but the AWB drives me nuts at times and I get sick of using manual WB for some home videos. Canon's on the other hand works quite well.
post #25 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

About these cameras above, do they all have the 4gb card/format limit ?

What I do not understand about some camcorder and camera is why my panny hs350 that record on HD formatted in FAT32, can record 8 straight hours or more of video automatically splitting the files each 4gb, and instead some other cameras (like the sanyo hd2000 or maybe the ones above) can't....

thnak you

The concept of closing out the file when it hits maximum size for the file system used on the camcorder memory isn't complex. But some cams may not be fast enough (memory or CPU) to do that, open a second file, and start recording without losing a single frame. Or the cost is lower and you get what you pay for and less capable programming is a piece of that.

The Sony 500 series cams (and I think many other models of theirs) do handle this file close / file open without losing a frame as far as I can tell. And when you move the files to a PC using Picture Motion Browser, PMB seamlessly puts everything from one continuous recording session back into one larger file. If you didn't know all this was happening, you'd have no sign of it just doing recording and PMB transfers.

I think the longest continuous clip I've done was just shy of two hours (about 115 minutes) and it produced something like a 13GB file.
post #26 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull View Post

The concept of closing out the file when it hits maximum size for the file system used on the camcorder memory isn't complex. But some cams may not be fast enough (memory or CPU) to do that, open a second file, and start recording without losing a single frame. Or the cost is lower and you get what you pay for and less capable programming is a piece of that.

It's mostly a function of the amount of memory (DRAM) on the camera - it needs to buffer the incoming video as it opens/closes the file.
post #27 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, so how do u explain that a sony / panasonic camcorder of 1500 dollars (cx/xr 500/550 or hs/tm350) can close the file and open another without losing frames, while instead a 2000 dollars dsrl that has a better video quality than the 2 camcorders mentioned before, can NOT close and open a new file automatically when reaching the 4gb limit ?
It is so silly to not implement that on dsrl. That is the only reason why I am keeping buying camcorders over dsrl for videos.....

thank you
post #28 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All NTSC models and an Australian PAL model of the GH1 does not have that limitation.
post #29 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

So GH1 = no 4gb limitation.

It can countinouslly record videos untill the card get full or the battery dies.
Am I right ?
The recording session, will not stop when reaching 4gb ?

Also, can the GH1 screw on 37mm lenses ?

tx
post #30 of 39 Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It builds many different 4 gig files just like a conventional camcorder until the memory card runs out.

With an adapter, you can hook up almost every 35 format lens their is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page