Ediing program to blur part of the video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
can u pls suggest an easy program to use, to blur out parts of my videos recorded using both the :

Sony xr550

and

panasonic hs350

?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Like a license plate or face? Or blur in blur out transitions?

On the low tech, use the video editor to extract each frame. Use an image manipulation program to blur the area in question. Use the editor to convert the resulting images back into a video. Some editors let you do this in the editor frame by frame with the mouse which is probably the quickest route. Depending on how fancy you want to get. Just a big black box, or low resolution pixelation, or other pretty fig leaf type edits.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 67
While it's not an "easy" program, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 can do this with 2 video effects: the garbage matte and the mosaic effect. The garbage matte is applied to the censored area with drag points and the mosaic effectively turns that area into blocks of varying sizes. Basically you would have 2 copies of the same video on different layers and use the censoring on the top layer - when you select the area to block with the garbage matte, it makes the rest transparent so that only the censored area shows through on playback, allowing the original to show through also. This results in an easily controlled censored area which can even be moved around if the subject moves in the video. But, like I said, CS5 is not an example of an "easy" or cheap program. Possibly the same general technique would apply in other programs.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you guys.
I have to blur license plates and faces.

I found this :

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-bl...emiere-197142/

What do u think ?
Will this tutorial work on Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 ?

Thank you
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

Thank you guys.
I have to blur license plates and faces.

I found this :

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-bl...emiere-197142/

What do u think ?
Will this tutorial work on Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 ?

Thank you

There are also tutorials on YouTube for doing this kind of blurring using tools in Corel's VideoStudio X2 Pro or similar versions.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank u.
I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtl0lZZlCc&fmt=22

and I have the program.

I tried it, but my question is, is it the only solution to blur faces or plates going frame to frame and add a key frame to each frame ?

Especially for fast moving objects, it is a long thing to do....

Thank you
I
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 67
That method is much the same to the one I described in CS5, so if you have the Corel program there is no need to get CS5 to do the same thing. As for moving around, if the area moves wildly, I would think using key frames is about the best/only solution. Maybe there is some sort of 'tracking' a defined area possibility, but I am unfamiliar with how that is done in simplified programs.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some of the more pricey options might have some form of intelligent recognition, but frame by frame is generally how it's done. And even with the pricey options and the processing involved, it wouldn't really be faster than human interaction, until computers get significantly faster, it just takes the human out of the picture. Even if there is such advanced software, there will be some content that it's unable to cope with, requiring the old human frame by frame stuff. So you really don't gain much unless you do it often enough to warrant the expense.

Or just use a camera with very shallow DOF so 80% of the frame is already blurred.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the hints guys.
So I guess the frame by frame is the more accurate way.
Maybe 1 day will make better the auto following tracking system...

About the "very shallow DOF", I have a nob question:

is it possible to get very shallow DOF using auto focus , or the only way to have it is just using the manual focus ?

Thank you
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Auto focus has quirks. If you use face tracking, it basically looks for faces that are facing the camera. If you use spot, it just assumes what is center frame is goal. And it can be quite picky on that leaving it in a state of constant focus search.

You can get shallow DOF on many consumer cameras at max zoom. But generally it's a function of the size of the sensor in combination with the lens. The larger the sensor, the more shallow you can get. And max zoom has it's own issues, like being half a football field away and poor stabilization. Past a certain point manual focus will help keep your sanity. Or at least up the odds of getting usable shots. But like a lot of things easier said than done. And manual focus is not an available feature WHILE recording on quite a few camcorders.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Most reasonably priced programs will do what you want... Vegas... Edius... Adobe... etc.

There are only a few however with motion tracking abilities, or in other words the ability to blur something on the move. These would be Adobe Premiere Pro(CS5), After Effects, or Avid MC (they are not cheap though). The other programs will do what you ask but for an object in motion you will have to key in the movements of the blur manually every few frames.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post

Thank u.
I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INtl0lZZlCc&fmt=22

and I have the program.

I tried it, but my question is, is it the only solution to blur faces or plates going frame to frame and add a key frame to each frame ?

Especially for fast moving objects, it is a long thing to do....

Thank you
I

If what you want to blur is constantly moving in every frame. But if its location is stable for N frames, then you can blur one frame there and extend it to some later point. For a few 12 second slow-motion clips I blurred, I think I had to set about 20 key frames - far better than setting 360 key frames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page