TM700 - Noob really confused about audio Pops. Plug in external mic and loose 5.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess this a two part question.

Love my Panasonic TM700 but I'm confused about the audio. Importing a RAW MTS file into audacity nets 6 channels. I gather this is from the internal 5.1 mic setup? Been reading around that it's not true 5.1, So... confused on this, how do you retain this "5.1" with just a external stereo mic?

I recorded a loud concert and my audio is FILLED with these "pops". From my understanding it is the circuitry protecting itself by clipping ranges that are too loud (?). Will an external mic help in this area?

Thank you for any suggestions and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Did you lower the audio level before recording?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-14-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

I guess this a two part question.

Love my Panasonic TM700 but I'm confused about the audio. Importing a RAW MTS file into audacity nets 6 channels. I gather this is from the internal 5.1 mic setup? Been reading around that it's not true 5.1, So... confused on this, how do you retain this "5.1" with just a external stereo mic?

It is 5.1 sound, the "not true" is because the microphones are very close together so you don't really get much separation between all the channels. "True" 5.1 sound is done in post production, for example on the Panasonic camcorder people speaking will be picked up by the left/right/centre and rear microphones and so will be heard out of all the speakers, with only a slight bias to the front and centre speakers, but 5.1 used correctly, the dialogue will usually always come out of the centre speaker and no others, so pinning the person and their dialogue right in the front of you.

With a stereo microphone it will only record 2 channel stereo sound.

Quote:
I recorded a loud concert and my audio is FILLED with these "pops". From my understanding it is the circuitry protecting itself by clipping ranges that are too loud (?). Will an external mic help in this area?

Thank you for any suggestions and help.

As already suggested you need to turn the audio gain. Switch to manual mode and using the recording settings menu find the audio gain settings and turn it down. Even with this right down, you may still get popping if the sound is very loud as the condenser microphones are very sensitive and the noise is just shaking them! Imagine what it's doing to your hearing

Regards

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Did you lower the audio level before recording?

I did not. This was basically me pulling the camera out of the box heading to a concert. I've been through the menus and have turned the input way down for future recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

It is 5.1 sound, the "not true" is because the microphones are very close together so you don't really get much separation between all the channels. "True" 5.1 sound is done in post production, for example on the Panasonic camcorder people speaking will be picked up by the left/right/centre and rear microphones and so will be heard out of all the speakers, with only a slight bias to the front and centre speakers, but 5.1 used correctly, the dialogue will usually always come out of the centre speaker and no others, so pinning the person and their dialogue right in the front of you.

With a stereo microphone it will only record 2 channel stereo sound.

As already suggested you need to turn the audio gain. Switch to manual mode and using the recording settings menu find the audio gain settings and turn it down. Even with this right down, you may still get popping if the sound is very loud as the condenser microphones are very sensitive and the noise is just shaking them! Imagine what it's doing to your hearing

Regards

Phil

I was wearing earplugs as I always do! What would you suggest for loud concerts that will go to BluRay? Still 5.1? Manual seems to suggest this is the "best quality".

Reading the manual isn't really clear on the Bass settings. Should I just leave it at 0dB? What is "Lowcut"?

Also assuming I'm in a club, should I turn off wind Noise Canceler? How would that effect non-wind loud recordings?

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ross View Post

I did not. This was basically me pulling the camera out of the box heading to a concert. I've been through the menus and have turned the input way down for future recordings.

I was wearing earplugs as I always do! What would you suggest for loud concerts that will go to BluRay? Still 5.1? Manual seems to suggest this is the "best quality".

Reading the manual isn't really clear on the Bass settings. Should I just leave it at 0dB? What is "Lowcut"?

Also assuming I'm in a club, should I turn off wind Noise Canceler? How would that effect non-wind loud recordings?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Also another question. If I set audio input levels and I switch off manual mode, do those core settings retain?

When I'm recording, I want the shutter and iris to auto adjust. Will that put the audio back to "Auto" volume input levels?

Does that make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page