Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #3901 of 3904 Old 09-10-2019, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had this oscilloscope for over 10 years. When I got it, Digital scopes were still expensive. If I used this for any "serious" purposes I'd probably invest in a digital oscilloscope, but I use it maybe once a year, to look at output from various things like motorcycle magnetos or generator output waveforms..

A digital unit that can directly save beautiful waveforms to a PC would be nice......but.....

Doesn't make sense to plunk down $300 - $500 for a digital scope for my infrequent uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3904 Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
In the "good old days, 1950 to 1970" I used a Polaroid camera to record scope images. Yes, the exposure has to be longer than a trace, or open the shutter and use the single shot feature of the scope. Polaroid had a light sealed adapter that would fit over the scope CRT. I am surprised that CRT scopes are still around. No need for 4 K, the scope image as created by the beam is barely SD.

Polaroid camera.....wow....and i thought I had it hard
Since I posted this, I bought a Canon PowerShot that has more flexibility with settings than the cellphone cameras I was using. Should be able to make better screen grabs now once I figure out the right settings. Also seems trying to take photographs of the CRT under fluorescent lighting is a bad idea so I'll 'hood' the display when I try with my Canon camera.

I realize I probably could have used the AX100 for those photos since it is quite capable as a camera, but it is far more expensive than the Digital Camera and I didn't want to risk it for this task. And I wanted a stand alone digital camera anyway.

Anyway, we've moved into a digital era, but there are some areas where digital cannot yet eclipse analog.....such as with audio recordings.

As far as the AX100.....
I'm of the opinion that unless there are major breakthroughs, technology peaks for certain devices,....cameras and camcorders being one of them.
Unless you are a highly trained professional, the end product of a camera from 10 years ago vs one made today is not remarkably different.
More megapixels is not always assurance of 'better' pictures is what I read and what I personally experience.

It seems that technology peaks and what you get going forward is mostly additional bells and whistles.
So the average person would be hard pressed to get 'better' video from a high-end cam corder purchased today than one purchased 5 years ago.
I still find the AX100 to be an amazing piece of technology and can't see the need for anything better. That said, I'm a photography amateur.
Very opinionated so my apologies.

The images in the YouTube video are astonishing.
post #3903 of 3904 Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
One of the most annoying things about this camera is lack of a usable external controller. I don't know if it's the interface or just that the controllers are so cheap. I like Panasonic's dual input better 3.5/2.5mm jacks. I have a nice pro controller for Panasonic cameras. It looks like Panasonic has stopped using those jacks though. Newest camera only has a single 2.5mm jack.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 3904 Old 11-05-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleMeNot View Post
Anyway, we've moved into a digital era, but there are some areas where digital cannot yet eclipse analog.....such as with audio recordings.

As far as the AX100.....
I'm of the opinion that unless there are major breakthroughs, technology peaks for certain devices,....cameras and camcorders being one of them.
Unless you are a highly trained professional, the end product of a camera from 10 years ago vs one made today is not remarkably different.
More megapixels is not always assurance of 'better' pictures is what I read and what I personally experience.

It seems that technology peaks and what you get going forward is mostly additional bells and whistles.
So the average person would be hard pressed to get 'better' video from a high-end cam corder purchased today than one purchased 5 years ago.
I still find the AX100 to be an amazing piece of technology and can't see the need for anything better. That said, I'm a photography amateur.
Very opinionated so my apologies.

The images in the YouTube video are astonishing.
Digital audio has long surpassed analog.

A100 is still not a bad camera, but considering most cameras this size or smaller are using 20mp 1" sensors or smaller it's not surprising. There's only so many MP's you can stuff in that size sensor and to any improved effect it would yield. To get any improvement you have to go to a larger camera with better recording options. The new Panasonic CX-350 offers 400mps recording in h.264 and 200mbps recording in h.265 and 10bit 4:2:2 color. Compare that to the older DVX200 which was only 8 bit internal recording and only 150mbps h.264. So pretty big improvements on those two models. AX100 vs 700, yes more features and options. The color profiles will likely help, the newer LSI sensor maybe improve things with quick pans, which I usually avoid anyway.

But it's still the same 100mbps 4:2:0 8 bit h.264 recording as the AX100. Where you would notice the biggest difference would be in the recording compression and that hasn't improved. If they offered 200mbps h.264 or h.265 150mbps that would be a big improvement.

Yeah, I think you could get by with the AX100 for years to come, if you plan on staying in a small handheld format. Until Sony releases an AX1000!

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page