4K 60p Panasonic GH5 thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 394Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1258 Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514




http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/09/2...now-available/

If 400Mbps Anamorphic is HEVC/H.265 that would be equal to about 800Mbps H.264 ! I still think Panasonic should come out with 16:9 5K 2880p video mode since it's less pixels than 4:3 or 3:2 6K photo mode. In 3:2 6K photo mode it uses the full 5184 sensor pixel width.
jogiba is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1258 Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
jogiba is offline  
post #993 of 1258 Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P&Struefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Even on the version 2.0 the way the camera slides into focus is pretty disappointing. A classic Panasonic AF transition. The extremely annoying pulsating when the focus has already locked onto the subject, including face (even when it stays completely still) seems to be gone at least in this test. Otherwise regarding the AF modes, you'd better know what you are choosing.
Ungermann likes this.
P&Struefan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #994 of 1258 Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
flintyplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: yeovil somerset
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Just installed the new firmware and I can immediately see the improvement in AF.

It was also interesting to note the new HLG mode. When I shot in the normal mode, I noted the areas of overexposure by the presence of zebras. In the HLG mode, those areas were either eliminated or greatly reduced. I'll see how this looks on the TV later. Hopefully the HEVC codec is supported.

Edit: I also tested the improved IS and that too has been improved. It's extremely stable, even at longer focal lengths.
It seems some [not all]are having problems with this update Ken,knowing my luck it will be problems,i dont know whether to go ahead with it.

Last edited by flintyplus; 09-28-2017 at 05:17 AM.
flintyplus is offline  
post #995 of 1258 Old 09-28-2017, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Chris, I only tested 1-area AF, which I’ve always found the best in any camera I’ve used and the one I use on the GH5. In that mode it’s definitely improved using my 14-140 lens.

Beyond that, forgetting the HLG HDR (which was impressive on my tests shown on my OLED), the improvements to stabilization are significant.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #996 of 1258 Old 09-28-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,318
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
.....it’s definitely improved using my 14-140 lens.

.....the improvements to stabilization are significant.
My experience with the 14-140 on the GX8 is been delightful. The GX8 won't do dual stabilization shooting 4K. But the lens alone, does a very good job. I wish it had the "weather resistance" that the GX8 and GH5 have.
bsprague is offline  
post #997 of 1258 Old 09-28-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
My experience with the 14-140 on the GX8 is been delightful. The GX8 won't do dual stabilization shooting 4K. But the lens alone, does a very good job. I wish it had the "weather resistance" that the GX8 and GH5 have.
Bill, I think the 14-140 starts off with better AF than some other lenses. So this update just makes it better.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #998 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 AM
Member
 
Tadbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just shot a gig with the new 400Mbs 10 bit all intra codec.

Unfortunately the 128GB Delkin 1900x V60 rated cards could not keep up. Had to switch back to 150Mbs halfway through.

Seemed to work fine at 400 until the cards became about half full. Could only record about 64GB worth of 3-5 min clips till the camera kept stopping with write speed error.

Wasn't a buffer issue. Even after resting, the camera still wouldn't record any more video at 400 till switching back to 150.

Can anyone recommend the proper memory cards to be using?
Tadbro is offline  
post #999 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
The Delkin V60 is only rated at 100 MB/s write. I use the Lexar 2000x SDXC UHS-II cards in my GH5 V2.0 (400 Mbps mode) that have the fastest write speed along with the Sony SF-G cards.


jogiba is offline  
post #1000 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Joe, how long were you able to record on the Lexar 2000X @400Mbps?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1001 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1002 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Joe, how long were you able to record on the Lexar 2000X @400Mbps?
Ken, I only recorded for a short time but I will be recording longer maybe later today. The 2000X Lexar write speed is about as fast as you could get today in a SDXC UHS-II card. Here is a list showing write speeds with the 2000x Lexar write speeds just behind the Sony SF-G and the Delkin 1900x UHS-II having a very fast 304.2 MB/s read but a very slow 51.1 MB/s write speed.
Ken Ross likes this.
jogiba is offline  
post #1003 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
GH5 write speed tests



BTW the Sony A9 has even faster write speed in it's one UHS-II slot.

Last edited by jogiba; 09-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.
jogiba is offline  
post #1004 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Tadbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you Joe. Yes, please let us know how long you're able to record at 400mbps. There are so many different cards to choose from, it would be nice to know which ones are 'good enough' without having to spend a fortune.
Tadbro is offline  
post #1005 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tugela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post


BTW the Sony A9 has even faster write speed in it's one UHS-II slot.
How do you determine a cameras write speed? IIRC those tests use the activity light and record that, but that is not write speed since it includes things such as processing and such.

If your activity = write + processing, then since processing is constant, a decrease in activity is not proportional to an increase in write speed. If processing is large relative to write (which is almost certainly the case), then dramatically increasing write speed will only yield small reductions in the duration of activity.
Tugela is offline  
post #1006 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tugela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadbro View Post
Thank you Joe. Yes, please let us know how long you're able to record at 400mbps. There are so many different cards to choose from, it would be nice to know which ones are 'good enough' without having to spend a fortune.
I believe the numbers cited were from stills. Video has a much greater processing overhead, so the effect of the card's real write speed will be trivial, provided that it is fast enough to write the actual data stream. You can't improve on that no matter how fast your card might be, but if you don't reach that threshold the card will record very poorly. It will be a very sharp divide between useless and can't be better.

For 400 mbps that threshold will be around 50 mB/s. Whatever card you use has to be able to sustain a write speed of at least that at all times (something best determined with a computer, not a camera).
Tugela is offline  
post #1007 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1008 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P&Struefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 137
As always, "sustainable minimum" are the key words which, unfortunately, card manufactureres rarely mention in their advertised specs.
P&Struefan is online now  
post #1009 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Update ! I do get write errors in 400Mbps mode after about 22 seconds tonight shooting the moon but no problem in 6K photo mode ( 5K 2880p on youtube) . I will wait for Sandisk to come out with a V90 card.

BTW the 5K 2880p youtube video looks great on my 512GB 12.9" iPad Pro with LTE.
jogiba is offline  
post #1010 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
How do you determine a cameras write speed? IIRC those tests use the activity light and record that, but that is not write speed since it includes things such as processing and such.

If your activity = write + processing, then since processing is constant, a decrease in activity is not proportional to an increase in write speed. If processing is large relative to write (which is almost certainly the case), then dramatically increasing write speed will only yield small reductions in the duration of activity.
Here is the link to the GH5 tests : https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/pa...test-sd-cards/
jogiba is offline  
post #1011 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 5,141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Even on the version 2.0 the way the camera slides into focus is pretty disappointing. A classic Panasonic AF transition. The extremely annoying pulsating when the focus has already locked onto the subject, including face (even when it stays completely still) seems to be gone at least in this test. Otherwise regarding the AF modes, you'd better know what you are choosing.
Watched first 1 min 12 s. Meh. It is better, but still meh.
Ungermann is offline  
post #1012 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 PM
Member
 
Tadbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Update ! I do get write errors in 400Mbps mode after about 22 seconds
Thanks for confirming Joe. I was almost looking at that Lexar card. Can any one else recommend a memory card that is proven to work?

Not proven as in based on paper specs or similar applications, but actually field tested with the GH5 specifically, shooting video in 10 bit 400mbps mode, for longer than a quick test shot, preferably full card capacity.
Tadbro is offline  
post #1013 of 1258 Old 09-29-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tugela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Here is the link to the GH5 tests : https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/pa...test-sd-cards/
As I thought....it is write + processing time, not write time. You could have huge differences between two cards write speeds and only minor differences visible with that methodology as a result. It is fundamentally flawed.
Tugela is offline  
post #1014 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Watched first 1 min 12 s. Meh. It is better, but still meh.
The guy should have been using center area and should not have been messing with the custom focus. Using default and center area focus, the new AF is far better than 'meh'.

I'm surprised nobody is commenting on the very much improved IS. At this point it could almost be mistaken for being tripod mounted.

@joe . Using a slower Lexar card, mine wrote for about 7 seconds and then stopped.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1015 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadbro View Post
Thanks for confirming Joe. I was almost looking at that Lexar card. Can any one else recommend a memory card that is proven to work?

Not proven as in based on paper specs or similar applications, but actually field tested with the GH5 specifically, shooting video in 10 bit 400mbps mode, for longer than a quick test shot, preferably full card capacity.
Since most of my shooting is in 4K 60p and 6K photo mode videos (8K and 5K on youtube) I am in no rush for a V90 card from Sandisk. BTW the GH6 should have UHS-III slots and 8K video using 624 MB/s 2TB SDXC cards.

jogiba is offline  
post #1016 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 514
8K 9984x3744 GH5 Open Gate Anamorphic test !



Last edited by jogiba; 09-30-2017 at 06:57 AM.
jogiba is offline  
post #1017 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Member
 
Cloudstrewn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
For info, I tried two different Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS II 300MB/s cards (64GB capacity) with the new GH5 400Mbps 30p option, and both stopped as they should, after nearly 21 minutes, with the "Memory card full" message. I gave each card two goes recording, with same result each time.
jogiba and Tadbro like this.
Cloudstrewn is offline  
post #1018 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
V2.0 seems like a huge improvement in the AF to me. There were companion updates for the 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron and 12-60mm f2.8 Leica as well, both shining now.

I think HLG can and should spell the end of the nonsense that is Dolby Vision. HLG is way more practical, 17 stops DR is plenty for now and future, and if you can go straight from the camera to display device like this, 95% of the picture quality of DV or HDR10 with no fussing around. Broadcast friendly too which means it should start showing up on live tv and sports programming.
Ken Ross and jogiba like this.
Tom Roper is offline  
post #1019 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,015
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
V2.0 seems like a huge improvement in the AF to me. There were companion updates for the 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron and 12-60mm f2.8 Leica as well, both shining now.
Couldn't agree more, Tom. It's extremely usable now and I'd definitely see using it in situations were AF lock may not be the best mode. I'm finding it's quick and in most cases, refocuses before you're even aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I think HLG can and should spell the end of the nonsense that is Dolby Vision. HLG is way more practical, 17 stops DR is plenty for now and future, and if you can go straight from the camera to display device like this, 95% of the picture quality of DV or HDR10 with no fussing around. Broadcast friendly too which means it should start showing up on live tv and sports programming.
Well we might disagree on that one. Having seen DV, HDR10 & now HLG, I find DV is still the most realistic of the bunch. I will say that the HLG function of the GH5, when displayed on my OLED, looks as good as most of the HDR10 I see on Netflix. It's pretty amazing that you can shoot HDR with no exotic peripherals, and display it directly on a TV with no extra work in post!

Now that's a setup that truly is run n gun!
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1020 of 1258 Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Well we might disagree on that one. Having seen DV, HDR10 & now HLG, I find DV is still the most realistic of the bunch. I will say that the HLG function of the GH5, when displayed on my OLED, looks as good as most of the HDR10 I see on Netflix. It's pretty amazing that you can shoot HDR with no exotic peripherals, and display it directly on a TV with no extra work in post!

Now that's a setup that truly is run n gun!
It is better marginally Ken but what's sacrificed is quantity of content. Quantity can be a quality in itself. It means sports programming, reality shows, live entertainment, everything that is impractical to grade isn't going live in DV or HDR10. HLG is ready now with no significant changes to the infrastructure.
Ken Ross likes this.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
Tom Roper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Camcorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off