4K 60p Panasonic GH5 thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 403Likes

post #1261 of 1291 Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Ironicaly today i got some far better Long Billed Dowitcher footage than the poor quality in this film,i am fairly happy with the extra reach the MC-20 gives me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1291 Old 09-27-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mostly 3360mm again,the Yellow Wagtails too far for reasonable viewing so post cropped more so the quality dropped.
post #1263 of 1291 Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

jogiba likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1291 Old 12-02-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
With the latest 2.6 firmware, autofocus has improved as well as providing new gh5 autofocus settings.

SETTINGS AF AE LOCK - AF On Near Quick AF - On Continuous Af - On AF Custom Setting(Video) AF Speed +5 AF Sensitivity +3 *Tip* Use a Native Lens for fast and silent focus

post #1265 of 1291 Old 02-04-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The latest firmware update 2.6 does not seem to have made any improvements that i can see using my Olympus 300mm f4
but the combination with the MC-20 extender is great for wildlife.

Last edited by flintyplus; 02-04-2020 at 06:25 AM.
post #1266 of 1291 Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

filmed 50% in 2x digital mode and all in ETC.It shows imo with a reasonable lens 2x digital is usable on the GH5 ans Panas other micro four third cameras.
post #1267 of 1291 Old 02-28-2020, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7460 Post(s)
Liked: 8347
Chris, watching on an iPad it looks good, but it looks like the 2x digital mode impacts contrast more than sharpness (at least on an 11” iPad). Some scenes were somewhat low in contrast. You were also battling the fact that the birds’ color were almost the same as the rocks they were walking on. The ETC mode doesn’t sacrifice contrast or overall PQ. Personally I’d go for a reduction in my subject’s size as opposed to the hit in quality of the digital mode. I think you could have gotten away with it in those scenes.

Those birds looked pretty hungry. What lens did you use?
post #1268 of 1291 Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Chris, watching on an iPad it looks good, but it looks like the 2x digital mode impacts contrast more than sharpness (at least on an 11” iPad). Some scenes were somewhat low in contrast. You were also battling the fact that the birds’ color were almost the same as the rocks they were walking on. The ETC mode doesn’t sacrifice contrast or overall PQ. Personally I’d go for a reduction in my subject’s size as opposed to the hit in quality of the digital mode. I think you could have gotten away with it in those scenes.

Those birds looked pretty hungry. What lens did you use?
Ken the 2x digital looks fine on my tvs ,the birds and rocks etc were very similar colour as you say,the lens was my Olympus 300 f4 plus my MC-20 2X Extender.even then the birds were so far away with ETC only i would have got no real close ups,thanks for for sharing your opinion all the best Ken.
post #1269 of 1291 Old 02-28-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Ken the 2x digital looks fine on my tvs ,the birds and rocks etc were very similar colour as you say,the lens was my Olympus 300 f4 plus my MC-20 2X Extender.even then the birds were so far away with ETC only i would have got no real close ups,thanks for for sharing your opinion all the best Ken.
Chris, I watched the video again on my OLED TV and it did look much better than on my iPad.
flintyplus likes this.
post #1270 of 1291 Old 02-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Chris,
I watched it twice on my laptop, and it seemed like the contrast was inconsistent in some of the clips. When I got home today, I watched it two more times once on each of my 32" 4K monitors, and it looks much better on both.

I have found in videos that are on YouTube, that there is a lot of inconsistency in just what the YouTube server provides based on the browser being used. For a long time, YouTube would not serve a proper SDR video through Firefox when both HDR and SDR is available. Then the viewers ask in the comment section. "Why does the video have no contrast?" When the truth is that there is nothing wrong with the original video.

In your video, I liked the clip with the out of focus surf in the background, along with several others. I live in the middle of a migratory flyway, and know it is not easy to get close to some of these birds. I enjoy your videos, so keep posting.

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 16.1, Win 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16) DDR4 3200, S1H camera, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #1271 of 1291 Old 02-29-2020, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom703 View Post
Chris,
I watched it twice on my laptop, and it seemed like the contrast was inconsistent in some of the clips. When I got home today, I watched it two more times once on each of my 32" 4K monitors, and it looks much better on both.

I have found in videos that are on YouTube, that there is a lot of inconsistency in just what the YouTube server provides based on the browser being used. For a long time, YouTube would not serve a proper SDR video through Firefox when both HDR and SDR is available. Then the viewers ask in the comment section. "Why does the video have no contrast?" When the truth is that there is nothing wrong with the original video.

In your video, I liked the clip with the out of focus surf in the background, along with several others. I live in the middle of a migratory flyway, and know it is not easy to get close to some of these birds. I enjoy your videos, so keep posting.

Tom thanks very much that is very encouraging to hear,lately my youtube films have been getting fewer comments than in the past i dont know if that could be a reason.The reason i often use the 2x digital mode is because most of the places i film getting any reaasonable close shot even at 1000mm focal length is often impossible.
post #1272 of 1291 Old 02-29-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Tom thanks very much that is very encouraging to hear,lately my youtube films have been getting fewer comments than in the past i dont know if that could be a reason.The reason i often use the 2x digital mode is because most of the places i film getting any reaasonable close shot even at 1000mm focal length is often impossible.
I'm curious of what the approximate actual distance is in meters from you to the subject in this video? The longest lens I have for my GH5 is a 45-150mm zoom, so I see wildlife stuff happening but it's often too far off. Most of my work is done close up, so I can't justify buying a longer lens at this time. But, I do understand the issue of getting close enough. I missed a really great one last year when one day I went over to my neighbors hours to feed his cat. There were five Tundra Swans cruising down the river feeding and a Bald Eagle made a pass at them. When this began, they were about 20 meters away, then the eagle headed up river with all of the swans after it. By the time I got to my camera they were probably 200 to 300 meters away, and it was pretty much over, with the eagle wishing he hadn't done that. That would have been such a cool video if the camera had been with me instead of in my truck.

With the GH5, I only shoot in V-Log-L, and I always use the Histogram to keep the exposure as close to the middle as possible, so I don't clip either the whites or blacks. That way, I can fix most problems in post. Which is something I have had to do many times when uploading to YouTube. The problem I mentioned with Firefox appears to have been fixed in the newest version, but YouTube is inconsistent, and they know it and claim to be working on it.

For all the videos I upload to YouTube, I upload in 3840x2160, 10bit, HDR (rec2020, gamma rec.2100 ST2084), HEVC (H265 because the files are bloody large). YouTube then converts the stream using a VP9 codec, making 8 videos for HDR, one for each resolution from 144 to 4K, and another 8 for SDR. The time it takes to make these 16 streams is why "processing sometimes takes a long time before their final 4K version becomes available. You Browser then decides which stream is appropriate for your display, and different Browsers may not behave the same. Then, I do not go live until I have previewed YouTube's conversion in three or four different browsers. Too many time the quality is horrible compared to what I uploaded, so it delete that upload and and render another version that is overcompensated just for YouTube. For example, if the YouTube contrast is not correct, which is my most common complaint, I can increase the contrast in post and render a new version just for YouTube and try the upload again.

For HDR you must use 10 bit, and with HEVC (H265), I set the bit rate to 20 Mbps. With most content, 20 Mbps is good enough for 4K YouTube, but sometimes it is not. I then double the bit rate to 40 Mbps and try it again.

I know this sounds like a lot to go through to get decent quality on YouTube, but it really doesn't take very long to do, except for the first time. Once you've done it a couple times, your part is fairly fast, the wait for YouTube to "process" is slow but there's nothing you have to do, so go shoot some more footage while they are processing.

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 16.1, Win 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16) DDR4 3200, S1H camera, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #1273 of 1291 Old 02-29-2020, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 156
From my experience, YouTube seems to do fine with all of my SDR uploads (up to 10-bit, 4:2:2 ProRes as well as H.264) when watched in Chrome or occasionally, Safari on my Mac system. I wouldn't say they all look as good as the original but more or less very close unless when I watch them closely on my 4K computer displays.

The problems of course arise when uploading HDR10 Rec.2020 10-bit or HLG both in the industry standard 10-bit and Sony's 8-bit exports. The results, even when watched in Chrome (not sure about Firefox) on either desktop or mobile platform, are wildly inconsistent. You just don't know what you are going to get even when the exports are rendered correctly or uploaded files are compliant because there are some other myriad software or hardware requirements on the viewing side to also comply with.

We are made to assume YouTube has been providing two sets of color spaces (Rec.709 or SDR and Rec.2020 for HDR10/10+) for viewing on either type of mobile and desktop OS based displays with the auto ability to detect if the displays can only playback in SDR or HDR capable. Aside from YouTube HDR processing that sometimes results in noticeably inferior playback quality on all types of viewing screeens as compared to the original HDR materials, the truncated SDR version is where most problems lie. When the SDR version is played back on SDR-only screens, videos that should look only less contrasty, less bright in the highlight areas and perhaps less DR or saturation but otherwise balanced well in both overall color and gamma level, instead look wash-out, not only with less contrast but skewed gamma and black levels. Certainly colors are often off too, particularly the reds and greens.

I don't think until all the transitional issues of hardware and software components over the whole HDR chain from acquisition to delivery are fully sorted out, this kind of inconsistencies will remain. After all, the intricacies of color space and dynamic range and gamma are a lot harder to understand and point out than the number of pixels in the video footage and on the viewing displays.
post #1274 of 1291 Old 02-29-2020, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wln4SOIWCAk

filmed 50% in 2x digital mode and all in ETC.It shows imo with a reasonable lens 2x digital is usable on the GH5 ans Panas other micro four third cameras.
I too am seeing low contrast level in several shots in this clip. Could it be due to a less than clean front lens element or the outer elements of the extender? Also the shooting mode, if it's Cine-like D at a particularly low contrast level setting?
post #1275 of 1291 Old 02-29-2020, 11:54 PM

Other than bit rate issues which show up as artifacts, I have had few problems when uploading (rec.2020, gamma rec.2100 ST2084), HEVC (H265) on the HDR playback. It is usually only the SDR conversion that suffers. However if you upload in HLG you never know what you will get, as many displays do not support HLG decoding.

If Chris had a dirty lens, that should show up in every clip. Also, I don't think the Olympus 300 f4 is a Cine lens. There's some other problem.

post #1276 of 1291 Old 03-01-2020, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm curious of what the approximate actual distance is in meters from you to the subject in this video? The longest lens I have for my GH5 is a 45-150mm zoom, so I see wildlife stuff happening but it's often too far off. Most of my work is done close up, so I can't justify buying a longer lens at this time. But, I do understand the issue of getting close enough. I missed a really great one last year when one day I went over to my neighbors hours to feed his cat. There were five Tundra Swans cruising down the river feeding and a Bald Eagle made a pass at them. When this began, they were about 20 meters away, then the eagle headed up river with all of the swans after it. By the time I got to my camera they were probably 200 to 300 meters away, and it was pretty much over, with the eagle wishing he hadn't done that. That would have been such a cool video if the camera had been with me instead of in my truck.

With the GH5, I only shoot in V-Log-L, and I always use the Histogram to keep the exposure as close to the middle as possible, so I don't clip either the whites or blacks. That way, I can fix most problems in post. Which is something I have had to do many times when uploading to YouTube. The problem I mentioned with Firefox appears to have been fixed in the newest version, but YouTube is inconsistent, and they know it and claim to be working on it.

For all the videos I upload to YouTube, I upload in 3840x2160, 10bit, HDR (rec2020, gamma rec.2100 ST2084), HEVC (H265 because the files are bloody large). YouTube then converts the stream using a VP9 codec, making 8 videos for HDR, one for each resolution from 144 to 4K, and another 8 for SDR. The time it takes to make these 16 streams is why "processing sometimes takes a long time before their final 4K version becomes available. You Browser then decides which stream is appropriate for your display, and different Browsers may not behave the same. Then, I do not go live until I have previewed YouTube's conversion in three or four different browsers. Too many time the quality is horrible compared to what I uploaded, so it delete that upload and and render another version that is overcompensated just for YouTube. For example, if the YouTube contrast is not correct, which is my most common complaint, I can increase the contrast in post and render a new version just for YouTube and try the upload again.

For HDR you must use 10 bit, and with HEVC (H265), I set the bit rate to 20 Mbps. With most content, 20 Mbps is good enough for 4K YouTube, but sometimes it is not. I then double the bit rate to 40 Mbps and try it again.

I know this sounds like a lot to go through to get decent quality on YouTube, but it really doesn't take very long to do, except for the first time. Once you've done it a couple times, your part is fairly fast, the wait for YouTube to "process" is slow but there's nothing you have to do, so go shoot some more footage while they are processing.
Tom when i film for a day and get some useful footage i useualy make two versions,a full version with all the useable clips and a short version ,if i put a film on youtube i just upload the short rendered version,when i play the youtube film and compare with the origional file its hard to tell the difference.

Last edited by flintyplus; 03-01-2020 at 04:40 AM.
post #1277 of 1291 Old 03-01-2020, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
I too am seeing low contrast level in several shots in this clip. Could it be due to a less than clean front lens element or the outer elements of the extender? Also the shooting mode, if it's Cine-like D at a particularly low contrast level setting?
The contrast of the film subject being filmed birds rocks etc were all very low unlike films like
as it happens this lens has had to go in for repair since the purple sandpipers film due to an accident
The mode i shoot in is natural mode.

Last edited by flintyplus; 06-12-2020 at 02:15 PM.
post #1278 of 1291 Old 03-01-2020, 04:52 AM

Chris, I agree, I think it was the subject elements in many of the clips. A dirty lens was unlikely since that would have impacted all clips and some had noticeably higher contrast when the scene itself had higher contrast. Sounds like you dropped a lens at the end of the day?
post #1279 of 1291 Old 03-01-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Chris, I agree, I think it was the subject elements in many of the clips. A dirty lens was unlikely since that would have impacted all clips and some had noticeably higher contrast when the scene itself had higher contrast. Sounds like you dropped a lens at the end of the day?
Ken your right plus these rather rare birds are masters at disguise some people could not spot them with their eyes at the distance away they were feeding,the accident it ws not that day but a few days later as i was getting something from my boot a sudden big gust blew the Miller 3000 tripod camera lens over onto tarmac,camera hardly marked and works fine the lens also hardly marked but is not sharp
post #1280 of 1291 Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Tom when i film for a day and get some useful footage i useualy make two versions,a full version with all the useable clips and a short version ,if i put a film on youtube i just upload the short rendered version,when i play the youtube film and compare with the origional file its hard to tell the difference.

Chris,

If your original video and the YouTube version look the same, then YouTube is providing what the director intended. Thus, when I said there is something else going on here, I blamed the differences on different viewing monitors. In an earlier post I told you that only my laptop looked bad, but that my two 32" LG monitors did not have inconsistencies in contrast between clips. As you have pointed out, there are inconsistencies in scene contrasts between the subject birds and a background that they blend into, and a background they do not blend into. That's life!

What this appears to come down to, is that different viewers have different artistic expectations. If enough of your YouTube viewers are commenting on this, and you want to do something about that, you might want to experiment with different presets other than "Natural" that may give you overall higher contrast. I personally believe that you have great content in videos that would benefit from a slightly higher overall contrast.

post #1281 of 1291 Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At least using my Lumix 12-35 lens the GH5s grotty AF is better than with my long wildlife lenses.Just
Tom Roper and jogiba like this.
post #1282 of 1291 Old 06-22-2020, 05:51 AM

Chris, a very pretty area. When I first saw the thumbnail I thought it was Iceland. It looks just like an area we visited in Iceland.
flintyplus likes this.
post #1283 of 1291 Old 06-22-2020, 06:34 AM

Nice video Chris. Beautiful day for an outing and some exercise getting down to the beach and back. It looks like the cruise ships also like the area.
flintyplus likes this.

post #1284 of 1291 Old 06-22-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice video Chris. Beautiful day for an outing and some exercise getting down to the beach and back. It looks like the cruise ships also like the area.
Cheers Tom,the cruise ships are forced anchored up in Portland Harbour because of the Coronavirus,at least nine.
post #1285 of 1291 Old 06-28-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUOoqxxXcmU
At least using my Lumix 12-35 lens the GH5s grotty AF is better than with my long wildlife lenses.Just
This video looks much better than before; has a natural motion blur, pleasing exposure and color. Very nice.
flintyplus likes this.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #1286 of 1291 Old 06-29-2020, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Tom Roper;59873974]This video looks much better than before; has a natural motion blur, pleasing exposure and color. Very nice.[/

Thanks,To be fair Tom all the camera settings were the same,it is easier with a wide angle lens than the very long ones i film wildlife with.

Last edited by flintyplus; 06-29-2020 at 04:35 AM.
post #1287 of 1291 Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Did you use ND? The objection I had with some of your birding settings is when shutter speed is too fast making motion look like a sequence of flash photos instead of continuous motion. In this video, the motion of the waves, wings in flight seems more natural.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #1288 of 1291 Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Did you use ND? The objection I had with some of your birding settings is when shutter speed is too fast making motion look like a sequence of flash photos instead of continuous motion. In this video, the motion of the waves, wings in flight seems more natural.
No the only differeence is i rendered 50P not 25P,my pc has been a problem, Durdel door was filmed in 25P mode though,i know my latest film is far from great it is 25P again and at focal ranges between 1200 and 3360mm flaws show up easily for me anyway.

post #1289 of 1291 Old 07-06-2020, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Taken at Hwall nature reserve in Somerset http://avalonmarshes.org/explore/nat...rves/ham-wall/

Ken Ross likes this.
post #1290 of 1291 Old 07-06-2020, 07:26 AM

Chris,
Great job in following those birds with a long lens. Summer, what's that? Not here yet. It's been a weird July so far, with frost every morning this July. 29°F on July 2, and 32°F yesterday, and 34°F right now here in South Central Oregon. Fortunately, it does warm up into the mid 70s F in the afternoons. I do enjoy your wildlife videos, so keep up the good work.
flintyplus likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page