Sony 4K Digicams with 5-Axis Stabilization: a99 Mark II, a6500, RX100 V at CES 2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By jogiba
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Sony 4K Digicams with 5-Axis Stabilization: a99 Mark II, a6500, RX100 V at CES 2017

I finally got some hands-on time with Sony's latest gear featuring 5-axis stabilization, and the only problem is I want it all! Click here to read about it: https://www.avsforum.com/sony-4k-digi...v-at-ces-2017/
jogiba likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Mark,

You wrote, "Hidden within the Other Areas of Interest sub-forum here on AVS Forum you’ll find the Camcorders section. I’ve sworn that in 2017, I’ll cover cameras capable of capturing 4K video—I want that sub-forum to thrive."

It seems to have thrived for the 6 years since I thought I would learn to shoot video. And it has been covering 4K cameras for as long as they've been available.

Cameras well covered here have included many from the Panasonic and Sony lines considered usable to people that shoot video for fun. In other words, most have been under $1000 and $2000 is about the upper limit. The a6500 needs a lens and, with one, gets close to or beyond the theoretical limit. The lens shown in your article is $2200. So with the camera we get about $3600. Any one spending in the $4K range for a 4K shooter shouldn't have any trouble getting stunning footage!

You also wrote, "I used an AX-53 camcorder .... to capture steady handheld video and the results were consistently spectacular." Another topic here questions why Sony didn't update that camera to shoot 4Kp60. Did you learn why?

And of course, welcome to the un-thriving sub-forum of things that shoot video. Nowhere have I found another even close that stays focused on machines that shoot video aimed at non-professionals.

Bill

Last edited by bsprague; 01-16-2017 at 01:49 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Mark,

You wrote, "Hidden within the Other Areas of Interest sub-forum here on AVS Forum you’ll find the Camcorders section. I’ve sworn that in 2017, I’ll cover cameras capable of capturing 4K video—I want that sub-forum to thrive."

It seems to have thrived for the 6 years since I thought I would learn to shoot video. And it has been covering 4K cameras for as long as they've been available.

Cameras well covered here have included many from the Panasonic and Sony lines considered usable to people that shoot video for fun. In other words, most have been under $1000 and $2000 is about the upper limit. The a6500 needs a lens and, with one, gets close to or beyond the theoretical limit. The lens shown in your article is $2200. So with the camera we get about $3600. Any one spending in the $4K range for a 4K shooter shouldn't have any trouble getting stunning footage!

You also wrote, "I used an AX-53 camcorder .... to capture steady handheld video and the results were consistently spectacular." Another topic here questions why Sony didn't update that camera to shoot 4Kp60. Did you learn why?

And of course, welcome to the un-thriving sub-forum of things that shoot video. Nowhere have I found another even close that stays focused on machines that shoot video aimed at non-professionals.

Bill
I just want this forum to grow and hope I can help by putting it on the editorial spotlight more often, I love that is still going strong and filled with passionate members.

Just because Sony put a pricey Zeiss on the a6500 does not really mean much. You can shoot affordable primes with it and get the full resolution benefit from the sensor, one of my favorite things about sensor shift.

Thanks for the welcome! Not sure why you took my hope that it thrives so... defensively? I edited the post so that it's not misunderstood.

Last edited by imagic; 01-16-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
....Thanks for the welcome! Not sure why you took my hope that it thrives so... defensively?
I am laughing a little because I had no idea that the master forum even had an editorial section! What does it do?

Forums can be tricky. Typing leaves out the smiles and other body language. Some say human to human communication is 90% visible and 10% words! I did not mean to be anything other than welcoming.

So, my personal interpretation of what you wrote was that this "sub-forum" needed significant help because it has been a little underwhelming. In other words, I may have been defending the intrepid souls that have been sharing knowledge about consumer video recording devices for at least the 6 years I've been here.

For reference, I consider myself to be less skilled than most here. My current primary 4K system consists of a $800 compact camera, $80 worth of software on a laptop and a new $1000 4K TV. Based on WWW views, my all time best was shot on a $350 Sony HD camera when editing 1080p was almost a challenge!

As a forum participant, I tend toward helping the random beginners that show up when they find the forum through a Google search.

If you run into any extra a6500's, send one my way so that I can help evaluate it! I promise to send it back after a few weeks!

Bill
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I am laughing a little because I had no idea that the master forum even had an editorial section! What does it do?

Forums can be tricky. Typing leaves out the smiles and other body language. Some say human to human communication is 90% visible and 10% words! I did not mean to be anything other than welcoming.

So, my personal interpretation of what you wrote was that this "sub-forum" needed significant help because it has been a little underwhelming. In other words, I may have been defending the intrepid souls that have been sharing knowledge about consumer video recording devices for at least the 6 years I've been here.

For reference, I consider myself to be less skilled than most here. My current primary 4K system consists of a $800 compact camera, $80 worth of software on a laptop and a new $1000 4K TV. Based on WWW views, my all time best was shot on a $350 Sony HD camera when editing 1080p was almost a challenge!

As a forum participant, I tend toward helping the random beginners that show up when they find the forum through a Google search.

If you run into any extra a6500's, send one my way so that I can help evaluate it! I promise to send it back after a few weeks!

Bill
I gave that post a quick edit in order to remove any ambiguity. I'm not casting even the slightest bit of shade here, my involvement with digital cameras it is both professional and a hobby. I'm very excited to include digital capture in my AVS Forum editorial coverage!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mark,

Have you considered an article with a title like "Amazing Cameras to Go With Your New 4K TV"?

Bill
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I have the a6300 and with quality IS lenses like the Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS it has the best AF of all my cameras.
theSteam likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Mark,

Have you considered an article with a title like "Amazing Cameras to Go With Your New 4K TV"?

Bill
That's exactly where I want to go with this.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
That's exactly where I want to go with this.
When I started with HD it was a true PITA to get from camera(corder) to TV in full 1080p60.

Today, with 4K it can be incredibly easy.

How can I help?

Bill
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Convincing Evidence

In approaching everything from a skeptical point of view, I found the photo of the display screen on a presumably pricey camera shooting a dancer to exemplify the camera's advanced features for motion capture quite amusing. Certainly convinced me.

Recalls Edgar Wilson Nye's description of Wagner's music as "Better than it sounds".
post #11 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcheapskate View Post
In approaching everything from a skeptical point of view, I found the photo of the display screen on a presumably pricey camera shooting a dancer to exemplify the camera's advanced features for motion capture quite amusing. Certainly convinced me.

Recalls Edgar Wilson Nye's description of Wagner's music as "Better than it sounds".
A good sense of humor goes a long way.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 8266
Unfortunately I discovered the A6500's IBIS leaves a lot to be desired for video, especially when compared to the far more impressive Olympus & Panasonic IBIS systems.

Like Mark, I had an A6300 and looked to the A6500 as having the one feature I really wanted, IBIS.

What I found when using my Sony 18-200 lens with both cameras, the A6500's IBIS+OIS improvement over the OIS-only approach of the A6300, was very minor. Many have expressed the same disappointment, especially those familiar with the Olympus and new Panasonic systems.

My RX10iii has better stabilization at similar focal lengths.

The difference between the 6300 & 6500 was so minor, that it was hard to detect at anything approaching the long end of the 18-200 lens.

What I did find interesting, and I haven't seen discussed, was I did find the color on the A6500 to be somewhat better than on my A6300. At any rate the improvement, IMO, was not nearly enough to justify keeping the A6500. YMMV.
jogiba likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Tags
5-axis , alpha , ces 2017 , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page