New Firmware for GH5/GH5s (5/30/2018) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tom Roper

post #1 of 16 Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 425
New Firmware for GH5/GH5s (5/30/2018)

On my GH5s, it feels like face detection may have surpassed 1 area as the best method. The most challenging mode for my PanaLeica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 is fully zoomed at F4.0. I was shooting at 23.98 fps ISO 320 with the new V1.1 firmware of course. This is welcome if confirmed. Where things are not improved is when you use the rotary thumb switch to select between AFS/AFF/AFC. I can move the switch to AFC and the AFC icon shows up in the corner of the viewfinder but it remains in AFS/AFF unless Continuous Auto Focus has been enabled in the menu. Similarly I can move the switch to AFS/AFF and the icon shows up in the VF but unless that mode has been selected in the menu it remains in AFC. It seems like the function of the switch therefore is no more than a reminder of the mode you want but unless you have the corresponding setting in the menu, it isn't the mode you're in.

I have installed the V2.3 in my GH5 but have not tried it yet.

https://www.cinema5d.com/panasonic-g...#comment-51953
satboy likes this.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-30-2018, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What Panasonic should have done, or what they should do, is just remove the items from the menu and place them under control of the switch. It should be fine since the switch is not re-assignable. The reason they included the items in the menu at all is probably because they had 4 menu choices AFS/AFF/AFC/MF, and only a 3 position switch! AFF is useless for video anyway, what they should do is leave the AFS/AFF function grouped on the switch as it is now, AFS for video, AFS or AFF for still pictures via menu selection.

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
post #3 of 16 Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 8021
I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I update the firmware I’ll lose 4K60p HLG. No thanks. I suspect the improvements would not be worth that loss.

With that said, im doing most of my shooting with the A7iii these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I update the firmware I’ll lose 4K60p HLG. No thanks. I suspect the improvements would not be worth that loss.

With that said, im doing most of my shooting with the A7iii these days.
This may be the update that silences the AF complaints. It's more comprehensive than I expected, which was just to have the 179D hack baked in. For one thing, the face/eye detection may now be the best AF mode, better even than 1 area AF. Another improvement is how well the AF works in the dark, not pitch black of course. Gone is the nasty habit of back focusing on the clock on the wall. Will be interesting to see the consensus build. I think it will.

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
post #5 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 11:20 AM

I'll wait for the consensus. Too much to lose with 4K60p HLG. After having used the A7iii for some time now, it would take quite an improvement for me to be impressed with the GH5's CAF.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 PM

Wow, this is quite an improvement!

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #7 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, this is quite an improvement!
You will for sure lose your 4k60 HLG option, maybe the only reason you have for keeping the camera. I did check for that. I think it's important to have a log gamma option or HDR becomes out of the question. I have the paid V-LogL option on the GH5 and it came standard on the GH5s. The V1.1 on the GH5s vastly improves the AFC focus acquisition in low light. The V2.3 for the GH5 is much better. I'm going to spend some time testing it in low light as well shortly. The comments for the video you posted seem quite favorable so far. Hopefully Max will do a re-test or DPReview.

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
post #8 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished my low light testing.

When I use the same lens and settings for both cameras GH5 and GH5s, the image is actually a little bit brighter on the GH5 but the GH5s has a small edge in AFC target acquisition, by an order of 1/2-1 f-stop I would estimate.

I have an 8 hour wedding shoot on Saturday, client wants footage and audio of all the speeches, the vows, groomsmen, groom, groom's father, best man, maid of honor, family, first looks, all the dances and the guests. That's about $335 of extra batteries and more than $900 of SDXC cards, two of them V90 128GB. Have audio field recorder, 3 tripods, 1 monopod, 1 gimbal, and full led light panels kit. Copious notes and planning, inventory list essential to not leave anything behind. Client requested 4k with mixed framerates 23.98 and 59.94 log footage, first time I've ever had that request. I just hand off the footage, client's editor and VFX artist does the rest. One tripod is a docking station for the gimbal, one is for the sound field recorder, the third is for a portable led light. With the gimbal on tripod I have app for iPhone to shoot 10 seconds of motion time lapse of event preparations over about 20 minutes, then circle around the frolicking couple with the gimbal handheld before the ceremony. That footage will probably be on the GH5 with outdoor ND filter and the PanLeica 8-18 F2.8-4.0 lens. Then stow the gimbal, swap on the PanLeica 12-60 F2.8-4.0 on tripod for the wedding march. With the GH5s on the monopod, can position it high above all the heads for unobstructed view of the groom's expression when he sees the bride.

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
post #9 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 04:13 PM

OTOH, this one is not nearly as impressive. Different settings, different conditions, not sure.

@Tom - not sure why your GH5 image would be slightly brighter than the GH5s.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM

Hmm, this one has issues too:

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #11 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ken,

You don't think those are an improvement?

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
post #12 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Would also like to know if the new firmware update could eliminate the AF pulsation problems. At first I heard the GH5S had less problems with AF compared to the GH5 but then I watched a recent clip posted by Peter Gregg and that same pulsation problem was still alive and well with his tested GH5S using the original firmware.

These two cameras, GH5/5S are to me the best well rounded cameras for the prices in the market today but the outdated AF system and the accompanying annoyances that come with it really let a lot of people down.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Ken,

You don't think those are an improvement?
I do, but the first video was much more impressive. I saw hunting in some of the other 2 tests I posted. I wanted to present a balanced view of the results.

Overall a nice improvement, but for the best results a 180 degree shutter is mandated which means you better have a ND filter with you for outdoor work. I often forget that.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Overall a nice improvement, but for the best results a 180 degree shutter is mandated which means you better have a ND filter with you for outdoor work. I often forget that.
I don't think that matters now. It doesn't seem to affect anything one way or another. It's just better. I'm shooting 24p at 1/40th sec, (216degree shutter) and it's just fine. I know what the firmware update says and how it was worded, from a Japanese translation, and I'm confident they were just saying "we fixed the problem you saw at 180. The pulsing too was enhanced for the test, using ND and a large iris opening to challenge the AFC, real world is much less visible with more appropriate iris settings, as well a prime lens like the PanLeica Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 and most other primes are way better than zooms in this important respect, that the pulsing isn't just going into and out of focus, it's "breathing," out of focus highlights expanding and contracting. Good lenses don't do that and primes are much better than zooms in this respect.

The most important takeaways, vastly improved face/eye mode, not even usable before, now it's prime and rear focus almost non-existent. I did see the one curious instance of it in the first video you posted. Nothing's perfect.

For Saturday's shoot I have one custom setting dedicated to full automation (my settings), and another full manual. I can't risk missing a shot because I got caught fooling with settings so I'll chance some bad footage rather than no footage, but where possible it's manual for me no matter what camera it is. Of course manual is a misnomer because you can't truly focus manually unless using a true manual lens with an adapter, all the modern MFT are electronic, and electronic manual focusing is really pretty cruel on a zoom, so non-linear, focus ring no hard stops. This is what I don't like about DSLR/Mirrorless and most prosumer cams as well.

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I don't think that matters now. It doesn't seem to affect anything one way or another. It's just better.
I'm sure it's better, but one of the testers did seem to confirm that for the most advantageous use of this new firmware, the 180 shutter angle is the way to go. If I recall one of these tests did seem to confirm that. CAF was better when the shutter angle was set to 180. That doesn't mean that other settings won't show improvement, but the suggestion is (from testers) that the 180 derives the maximum benefit.

I'm still concerned about doing the update and losing the 4K60p HLG, even though I obviously don't have that ability with the A7iii. Despite that, the Sony has become my 'go to' camera because of the AF. In fact if it wasn't for all the discussion on how incredible the CAF is in the Sony (it is) I would never have bought the A7iii. The other thing I've noticed and I believe I've mentioned it before, the HLG on the Sony is quite a bit brighter than the GH5.

With that said, this new GH5 firmware has me itching to do some new A/Bs from a pure PQ standpoint...assuming it ever stops raining here in NY.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure it's better, but one of the testers did seem to confirm that for the most advantageous use of this new firmware, the 180 shutter angle is the way to go. If I recall one of these tests did seem to confirm that. CAF was better when the shutter angle was set to 180. That doesn't mean that other settings won't show improvement, but the suggestion is (from testers) that the 180 derives the maximum benefit.
Could be but not from what I see.

INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page