Sony FDR-AX700 vs AX53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sony FDR-AX700 vs AX53

I can't find any comparison reviews regarding image quality between these two cams. The AX53 has the BOSS, but AX700 only has Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mod. Does the AX700 stabilization come close to the BOSS?
The AX700 has great AF, but the AX53 seems average w/contrast detection.

I will gladly pay the extra for the AX700 only if it really is a huge upgrade from the AX53, but would be happy to save $$$$ if it isn't.

My intention is mainly wildlife under a variety of lighting conditions.

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Generally speaking, the AX700 is a much better camera, specs-wise and in real world usage, if you have the needs that require its capability. The autofocus is better, faster, more responsive while being as smooth and even more reliable than the already good system on the AX53. It can shoot in high dynamic range modes such as S-logs and HLG allowing you to get better, more usable footage in high contrast conditions as in the streets at night or indoors, and in daylight scenes as on the beaches or snow.

Lowlight sensivity is a bit better than that of the A53, which again is no slouch in this respect but the ability to record a wider dynamic range in the usual low light scenes gives it an edge.

The downsides, besides the obvious price difference is the size and weight. If you try it in person and don't mind then this is the camera for you if you can accept the price difference. The stabilization, while not as good as the one on the AX53, is effective enough for general handheld shooting up to the tele focal length the camera has (about 350mm as opposed to 540mm on the AX53). If you are not the kind of people who like to shoot while walking you wouldn't be handicapped much by the lack of the AX53's gimbal stabilization. Shorter zoom range may be a thing to consider though, about 29mm to 350mm vs 27mm to 540mm).
post #3 of 13 Old 09-04-2018, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post
I can't find any comparison reviews regarding image quality between these two cams. The AX53 has the BOSS, but AX700 only has Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mod. Does the AX700 stabilization come close to the BOSS?
The AX700 has great AF, but the AX53 seems average w/contrast detection.

I will gladly pay the extra for the AX700 only if it really is a huge upgrade from the AX53, but would be happy to save $$$$ if it isn't.

My intention is mainly wildlife under a variety of lighting conditions.

I have the ax100, ax700, and ax53.

the menu system ax100 and ax53 is the same.

the ax700 use totally different menu system from previous sony camcorder. and I hate the menu of ax700. it no longer came with free playmemories. and ax700 is now like a barebone camera instead of camcorder

for indoor, videoing kids sitting down in party and having less moving around and shooting in small space. get ax100
for outdoor, videoing kids moving and running around get an ax53.

the ax53, ax700 does not come with built in usb. so you cannot use external battery pack to video for infinite hour. if ac adapter to camcorder dc charger get lost. and you don't have battery charger with you. then you can not video.

just my opinion

Last edited by spyker1212; 09-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I decided on the AX53 mostly for it's BOSS since at least half the time will be handheld. I'll give it a few tests under a variety of conditions and decide to keep it or not.
Are all external mics better than the internal mic? Even the sub $35 mics?

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 13 Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Regarding the mics, not necessarily. But when the external mics, shotgun or stereo or lav, would be a clear choice is in windy conditions. A foam cover may not help much though it is still better than a naked mic grill but a properly designed furry windshield or blimp will make recording under those conditions useable. A shotgun or a lav will also be a better choice if you are aiming for any particular sound source in environments with too much background noise. My video travel accessories usually include a Sony plug-in stereo mic, a Sony shotgun or Rode Micro mic and a Sony Bluetooth mic in place of a lav or traditional RF wireless mic. All are very lightweight, take up little space and in the case of the Sony proprietary MIS mics, a no brainer to use. There are better audio solutions regarding sound quality, of course, but you wouldn't want to fiddle too much with audio when you are shooting something casually, would you?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I just noticed the lens protector shutter makes a relatively loud noise when turning on the camera. Loud enough to alert game. I'm guessing there isn't a "soft" open mode.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-15-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

How does the Panasonic G9 compare to the AX53 strictly video? 4k/60 would be nice and it has the larger 4/3 (Why not call it a 1.33" sensor?) sensor. This sensor should, in theory, have better dynamic range and low light performance even over the 1" sensors yes?

Last edited by Scottyman; 09-15-2018 at 01:56 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It has a bigger sensor, better sensitivity and wider dynamic range, yes, but only two lenses in the entire M4/3 range have a servo zoom useable for video while the rest are manual only zooms. The Panasonic autofocus is unreliable, to put it mildly, so you would end up with a camera and a lens combo that can shoot video with better image quality but you can't power zoom and in most critical shooting circumstances, you have to rely solely on manual focus. And to have a lens combo with a comparable 20x zoom range on the G9, you are looking at at least 2 zoom lenses and the hassles that have to come with changing them in run and gun situations or in adverse conditions such as in the crowd, drizzling rain or when there is simply not enough time to change the lenses.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post
How does the Panasonic G9 compare to the AX53 strictly video? 4k/60 would be nice and it has the larger 4/3 (Why not call it a 1.33" sensor?) sensor. This sensor should, in theory, have better dynamic range and low light performance even over the 1" sensors yes?

Panasonic G9 is a camera
Sony AX53 is a camcorder

if you are using it to video family event, taking video of your kids growing up (for memories) get a camcorder. =ax53
if you are using it to video wedding, commercial event (to make money) get a camera and gimbal. =g9

for home viewing video= camcorder
for youtube viewing video to wow the public=camera

camcorder=turn on, point subject, shoot
camera=turn on, adjust setting, point subject, make sure subject focused. shoot. review video. if video is out of focus, re-adjust settings and reshot.

camera=video max 30min
camcorder=video max till battery runs out. ax53 does not allow you to use external battery pack. so connect to ac power. you can video till memory in camcorder maxed out.

just my opinion

Last edited by spyker1212; 09-16-2018 at 04:54 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
Panasonic G9 is a camera
Sony AX53 is a camcorder

if you are using it to video family event, taking video of your kids growing up (for memories) get a camcorder. =ax53
if you are using it to video wedding, commercial event (to make money) get a camera and gimbal. =g9

for home viewing video= camcorder
for youtube viewing video to wow the public=camera

camcorder=turn on, point subject, shoot
camera=turn on, adjust setting, point subject, make sure subject focused. shoot. review video. if video is out of focus, re-adjust settings and reshot.

camera=video max 30min
camcorder=video max till battery runs out. ax53 does not allow you to use external battery pack. so connect to ac power. you can video till memory in camcorder maxed out.

just my opinion

It'll be used mostly for wildlife under less than ideal lighting conditions at times hence the interest in a larger sensor, but I don't know if that will translate into better image quality over the smaller AX53 sensor. Maybe a better comparison would be the AX700 vs the G9 (1" vs 4/3). From what I have read, the G9 might even have better stabilization than the AX700(not AX53) if used with a compatible lens in addition to the 4k/60.

Last edited by Scottyman; 09-16-2018 at 06:32 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
It has a bigger sensor, better sensitivity and wider dynamic range, yes, but only two lenses in the entire M4/3 range have a servo zoom useable for video while the rest are manual only zooms. The Panasonic autofocus is unreliable, to put it mildly, so you would end up with a camera and a lens combo that can shoot video with better image quality but you can't power zoom and in most critical shooting circumstances, you have to rely solely on manual focus. And to have a lens combo with a comparable 20x zoom range on the G9, you are looking at at least 2 zoom lenses and the hassles that have to come with changing them in run and gun situations or in adverse conditions such as in the crowd, drizzling rain or when there is simply not enough time to change the lenses.
In actuality, as an owner of the GH5 that I’ve used extensively, the AF is not as bad as you claim, especially after firmware updates. Is it as reliable as Sony’s PDAF? No. However for many (most?) shooting situations, the simple assignment of ‘focus lock’ to one button, eliminates any concern about focus hunting. Further, focus lock is virtually instantaneous.

I’ve shot many videos using this technique, heck, I shot many videos with prior Sony cameras using the same technique and almost nobody ever commented on poor AF in my videos.

Now certainly this approach is not what you’d use for subjects moving toward or away from the camera, however it’s effective for many subjects moving laterally that aren’t in very close proximity to the camera.

My understanding is that the G9 has improved AF over the GH5. So I’m simply stating that the GH5/A9 AF, although not as good as Sony’s PDAF, is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. It’s best to put things in perspective.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=Scottyman;56817414]It'll be used mostly for wildlife under less than ideal lighting conditions at times hence the interest in a larger sensorQUOTE]

for wildlife, building, scenery . use camera with wide angle lens. and g5 have changeble lens. shot wildlife change wide lens, shot portrait close up, change to prime lens.

for portrait close up use camcorder. ax53 not wide enough.

to show off your video. use camera, with tripod or gimbal.

just my opinion

Last edited by spyker1212; 09-17-2018 at 12:41 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony AX53 and AX700 features

Both camcorders have their own advantages over the other. The AX700 winning though overall.

Advantages of the FDR-AX53:

1. Lighter, and more compact.
2. Longer Zoom range (20x vs 12x)
3. Better Image Stabilizer, Balanced Optical Steadyshot
4. Cheaper

Advantages of the FDR-AX700

1. Much better Autofocus, adds phase detection. 273 focus points.
2. Much larger 1-inch imager, for better low light, dynamic range, and depth of field possibilities
3. Larger 3.5-inch touchscreen, with higher resolution.
4. Adds S-Log2, S-Log3, S-Gamut picture profiles.
5. Adds a 120fps 1080p video mode.

Source: https://www.smartreview.com/sony-fdr...models-reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page