Sony RX10 IV Hands-On & Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9291 Post(s)
Liked: 16450
Sony RX10 IV Hands-On & Review

The Sony RX10 IV is Sony's premium superzoom bridge camera featuring a 20.1-megapixel 1" stacked CMOS sensor and a 25X zoom lens that reaches from (35mm equiv) 24mm to 600mm with a maximum aperture of f/2.4-f/4.0. It's a video powerhouse thanks to phase-detection autofocus and 4K capture that uses the full sensor readout to create the image. Plus, it has both a microphone input and a headphone jack, so it's truly able to pick up where camcorders left off in terms of usability.

Although the model has been out for a couple years, it is still a powerhouse picture taking machine.

The cool thing is Sony does not typically retire older models, it just sells them for less when the latest version is announced. So even if a RX10 V comes out tomorrow the IV will remain relevant.

I placed the order for the camera yesterday and expect it to arrive today. Camera is here! I'm relieved because I ordered an open box and saved $400 but was worried the "Excellent" condition description was not accurate. Luckily, it's mint.

I have also ordered a DJI Ronin S gimbal (hope to review that as well) to use with this Sony, but that will not arrive for a few more days.

Since spring is here, I plan to go shooting on any day when the weather is nice—including today. This thread will be populated with sample footage (and still images) shortly.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-26-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Reserved for video clips

First clip... from the Benjamin Franklin Bridge in Philadelphia. F/10, 1/100 second, ISO 100, 24mm. Wish I had a ND filter with me to slow that shutter down... That arrives tomorrow. 4K/100Mbps 30p video.

Here's the PATCO Speedline crossing the Ben Franklin Bridge. F/9, 1/80 second, ISO 100, 100mm.

Evening shot of Center City Philadelphia. I upped the ISO to 800, set the shutter speed to 1/30, and opened up the lens aperture all the way to f/2.4 for this shot. I'm impressed overall, even if it is a bit noisy.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 148
This is a relatively old camera, I would not be surprised if a newer model with updated electronics came out this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
This is a relatively old camera, I would not be surprised if a newer model with updated electronics came out this year.
Yeah it's been around for a minute (well a couple years) and it did go on sale recently (a sign it's long in tooth) and it is missing 4K/60p and some sort of HDR, and the mega-zooms have gotten longer. But... it's the camera I just got, so I'm rolling with it. If it gets updated with an RX10 IV, I'll probably buy that one too. Plus Sony has that funny habit of keeping the older model around so who knows,l maybe this camera will find a new audience at a lower price.

I paid $1195 open-box, the original MSRP was a bit much for me or I would have bought it long ago. Instead I've been shooting with an a6500.

Anyhow, what I'm REALLY looking forward to is what the RX10 IV and Ronin S can do together. The anti-Osmo Pocket, so to speak.

I wonder if 8K video is a possibility with the next model? Even if 8K is overkill for playback, it would be a photographer's dream come true on the capture side since every frame is also a huge photo.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-26-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The next model *might* have 4k60p, and probably will have better quality slow motion modes and HDR. I would guess that stills burst shooting may be faster and/or with a larger buffer. The big difference however will be auto focus performance. The next round of RX10/100 cameras will probably have Sony's latest focusing systems, which is apparently very good.

But outside of those things they will probably be very similar to the older models.

That is assuming there will be new model of course. I suspect that the market for premium superzooms is quite small, so they might not update it. The superzoom market focuses on extreme reach, and that is more in the realm of very small sensors than the 1" one on the RX10.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
"The anti-Osmo Pocket, so to speak."

No, the Sony anti-Osmo Pocket is the new tiny RX0 ii, which can be easily mounted on a little gimbal - the same 1" sensor as the RX10 and RX100, but better color science (it's newer). Shoots 4K 30p now too, oversampled just like the RX10/RX100. Slog2/Sgamut, so in principle can do HDR video. Waterproof, unlike the Osmo Pocket.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyb...eras/dsc-rx0m2

I do not want to hijack the thread, so let's put any subsequent discussion of this new camera in another thread.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-26-2019, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
No, the Sony anti-Osmo Pocket is the new tiny RX0 ii, which can be easily mounted on a little gimbal - the same 1" sensor as the RX10 and RX100, but better color science (it's newer). Shoots 4K 30p now too, oversampled just like the RX10/RX100. Slog2/Sgamut, so in principle can do HDR video. Waterproof, unlike the Osmo Pocket.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyb...eras/dsc-rx0m2

I do not want to hijack the thread, so let's put any subsequent discussion of this new camera in another thread.
Oh snap Sony fixed that little sucker in V2.0.

I was more thinking about how I'm never gonna fit it in a pocket, a poor attempt at humor. RX0 II looks really nice.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 13 Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Okay, here are some thoughts on this camera, if anybody's interested. While I understand that a new model, it appears that it never got its day in the sun in this sub forum. Until it's replaced, the it's best camera of its kind (1" sensor superzoom bridge) coming from Sony. This is not a review unit, I purchased it open box from Best Buy and have added one year of accidental damage insurance to it (in anticipation of putting it to really could use this year).

I've been using a Sony a6500 recently for both commercial photography and fun, matching it with an appropriate lens (I used lensrentals.com when I need something specialized, otherwise I shoot between 10 and 16mm primes, for architecture etc.)

As a still photographer, I am thrilled with the RX10 IV... Absolutely thrilled to have this camera. It expands my photo toolkit in the telephoto range. I can't say it does anything "special" on the wide end, as compared to my a6500, but that's to be expected. Pragmatically speaking, there are a few applications where the resolution delivered by the RX10 IV is insufficient and currently those are either print-related, or situations where you want to zoom into the still photo. The main exception of courses low light scenarios where cameras that have larger sensors and then can accept lenses with wider apertures will obviously have a clear advantage. In that application an a6500 and an f1.8 or wider aperture lens is in a different league. But... what I'm psyched about is just leaving a wide-angle, wide aperture lens on the a6500 (10mm) and using the RX10 IV for most everything else.

For video, there are clearly issues with using extreme telephoto that I hope to mitigate with using the RX10 IV with the DJI Ronin S. The hope I have is that with the strong motors on the Ronin S, I'll be able to use the zoom lens despite the shift in balance that it will cause. If it all comes together, the way looks like it's going to come together, it's fair to say it will be the nicest gimbal rig that I've owned. Prior to this, I had used the a6500 with a Zhiyun Crane 2.

USPS tracking has the Ronin S arriving on Friday, so not too long of a wait.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-27-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-04-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

So, I have quickly learned a lesson... the RX10 IV lacks the mechanical 5-axis stabilization of the a6500. So, iit cannot correct for micro-jitters on the roll axis when shooting 4K. Because this is a large and heavy camera, even the Ronin S can't zap all the micro-level stuff during vigorous action movements. Not the biggest deal, I had not planned to run around with that rig, that's what GoPro is for.

But, it made me appreciate the a6500 a bit more. I've ordered the Sony f/4 10-18mm for the a6500 and that's what will live on the Ronin S most of the time. However, the RX10 IV on the Ronin, tripod-mounted and using the tracking-timelapse functions... that's sweet.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-04-2019 at 06:00 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

And now, another lesson... I don't use this camera for video. At all. Other devices I own are better suited for most things.

Not to say I won;t use it in the future, it just works out that way.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-13-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 433
That’s interesting. I thought Joe and Ken were pretty enthusiastic in their support for video from this cam?

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #12 of 13 Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
That’s interesting. I thought Joe and Ken were pretty enthusiastic in their support for video from this cam?
As well they should be, the video I have gotten out of it is very high-quality. I bought the Ronin S in anticipation of using it with the RX10 IV.

But...

I then made the mistake of getting the 10-18mm Sony lens for my a6500. That's the rig I'm flying if I want high quality. And I repurchased Osmo Pocket, in light of the usability and performance enhancements firmware brought to the table after launch.

Suddenly, Ronin S and RX10 IV become a burden.

I do not mean to imply that I will not be using it in the future. It's a wonderful camera for still and video.

Tripod-mounted and zoomed in... that's the main use case, where it's my primary choice. It aces that. I just have not had any use for that sort of video and need to find some good scenes that work in telephoto. Everything I shoot lately, I'm using a wide lens.

Demo clip zoomed in...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-13-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Tom, I don't own this camera. I had an earlier version several years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page