The DJI Ronin S has arrived. I've unpacked it, balanced the Sony RX10 IV on it, and am charging it now. Hooray for direct USB C charging!
1. It really is a far higher quality item than Zhiyun gimbals. I got the $500 Essentials Kit and am shocked... outright shocked at what you get for the $$$. Granted, it's likely because of Zhiyun that the Ronin S Essentials Kit is $500 and not a lot more $$$.
2. I found balancing the camera to be quite fast and easy. Probably a result of practice. But it's clear this is a more accommodating design than Zhiyun Crane gimbals. You can fit a larger camera and fully balance it, versus Zhiyun where my a6500 barely fit and balance adjustments were twiddly.
3. I do wish DJI had included one connection cable with this kit. I get that "Essentials" means bare minimum. I ordered the cable and will have that in a week or so. On the other hand I had to order a cable for my Zhiyun Crane (which I sold BTW) so no foul.
4. This gimbal is substantially larger and heavier than the Zhiyun models. I know reviews touch on this but in person, in-hand it's clearly heftier.
5. In addition to the RX10 IV, I plan to test this gimbal with an a6500 fitted with a 10mm f/2.8 lens. Action camera FOV, DV sensor quality. Hope it works out.
6. I'm also seeing this gimbal and the iPhone XS as a viable rig. Really lock down that phone stability, shoot with Filmic... who knows, it might turn out amazing.
7. I'm taking a trip to London in a couple weeks so the opportunity to get some killer footage that's not Philly or NYC is very exciting.
8. The joystick is sooo much better than the Crane. It's the same sort of joystick DJI uses for its drone controllers, very responsive.
9. I guess I'm officially a DJI fanboy now since I also have a Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 and a pair of Mavir Airs.
10. I'm still interested in buying the Osmo Pocket again. A smart fella would just take that on his trip.
11. Not really relevant, but I did not love the Osmo Mobile. It's too weak for a phone like the iPhone XS. I believe a heavy gimbal and a light phone is the way to go.
12. Can't wait to get the Sony RX0 II and put it on this thing... truly, can't wait.
13. I'll probably need to do some arm exercises with free weights to increase my endurance with this thing. Worth it!
I know there are plenty of YouTube Ronin S reviews etc. so really I'm just confirming what others have said, this is the finest full-size one-handed electronic gimbal around. Test videos coming soon.