Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9288 Post(s)
Liked: 16439
DJI Ronin S Gimbal Hands-On

The DJI Ronin S has arrived. I've unpacked it, balanced the Sony RX10 IV on it, and am charging it now. Hooray for direct USB C charging!

-----

1. It really is a far higher quality item than Zhiyun gimbals. I got the $500 Essentials Kit and am shocked... outright shocked at what you get for the $$$. Granted, it's likely because of Zhiyun that the Ronin S Essentials Kit is $500 and not a lot more $$$.

2. I found balancing the camera to be quite fast and easy. Probably a result of practice. But it's clear this is a more accommodating design than Zhiyun Crane gimbals. You can fit a larger camera and fully balance it, versus Zhiyun where my a6500 barely fit and balance adjustments were twiddly.

3. I do wish DJI had included one connection cable with this kit. I get that "Essentials" means bare minimum. I ordered the cable and will have that in a week or so. On the other hand I had to order a cable for my Zhiyun Crane (which I sold BTW) so no foul.

4. This gimbal is substantially larger and heavier than the Zhiyun models. I know reviews touch on this but in person, in-hand it's clearly heftier.

5. In addition to the RX10 IV, I plan to test this gimbal with an a6500 fitted with a 10mm f/2.8 lens. Action camera FOV, DV sensor quality. Hope it works out.

6. I'm also seeing this gimbal and the iPhone XS as a viable rig. Really lock down that phone stability, shoot with Filmic... who knows, it might turn out amazing.

7. I'm taking a trip to London in a couple weeks so the opportunity to get some killer footage that's not Philly or NYC is very exciting.

8. The joystick is sooo much better than the Crane. It's the same sort of joystick DJI uses for its drone controllers, very responsive.

9. I guess I'm officially a DJI fanboy now since I also have a Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 and a pair of Mavir Airs.

10. I'm still interested in buying the Osmo Pocket again. A smart fella would just take that on his trip.

11. Not really relevant, but I did not love the Osmo Mobile. It's too weak for a phone like the iPhone XS. I believe a heavy gimbal and a light phone is the way to go.

12. Can't wait to get the Sony RX0 II and put it on this thing... truly, can't wait.

13. I'll probably need to do some arm exercises with free weights to increase my endurance with this thing. Worth it!

-----

I know there are plenty of YouTube Ronin S reviews etc. so really I'm just confirming what others have said, this is the finest full-size one-handed electronic gimbal around. Test videos coming soon.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

People are going to think I am insane but I can see myself using this with the iPhone XS and Filmic Pro most of the time, only putting a heavy camera on it on occasion. The possibilities with phone-based 4K/60 seem endless, at least under daylight. The Smooth 4 has just been relegated to "toy gimbal" status.

Update... iPhone XS Max. And... my Note 8 with the Ronin app open. Perfecto. Only problem is YouTube is choking on the 4K output from the iPhone, won't show 4K/60p and 1080/60p is choppy. Gotta figure that one out because on the phone, this following video plays buttery smooth.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-31-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

One of the main things I wanted out of the Ronin S is to mount the Sony a6500 with a 10mm prime lens (Rokinon f/2.8). Here's a ride down South Street Philadelphia on this warm Saturday Night. Shot in 4K/30 , f/4.0 and auto ISO, while riding a OneWheel XR.

A ride down South Street in Philly on a Saturday Night. Trivia.. for a few seconds in this video (starting at about 2 mins), you're looking at the same scenery as the opening of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... the block with South St. Souvlaki on it.

It's 73 degrees and the Bryce Harper-enhanced Phillies just won. It's poppin' and the OneWheel XR reigns supreme, it's the magic ticket.

Shot with a Sony a6500 on a DJI Ronin S, using a Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 prime lens at f/4.

Honestly, as far as the smoothness goes and the way I cut through the traffic only the OneWheel makes it possible.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-04-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Recent trip to England gave me a chance to use my "big rig"

Check out this McLaren 600LT up close and personal as its designer takes you through the aerodynamic features, all of which are function-first despite the car's awesome looks.

Shot with a DJI Ronin S and a Sony RX10 IV camera in 4K/30 $K/30 recorded at 100Mbps. File uploaded to YouTube directly, without any re-rendering.

Sound is from a camera-mounted mic, the Sony ECM-XYST1M. It picked up some motor noise from the Ronin S but not too much.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Took the Ronin S out for a "ride" on the Onewheel at the Lantern Festival at Franklin Square.

The luscious colors are courtesy of at Sony a6500.

There's still some micro-jitter/shake in there that a round of processing in Mercalli would probably eliminate. But unless viewed on a large TV it's not much of an issue.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Tags
dji ronin s , gimbal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page