Insta360 One X Hands Hands-On with Video Examples - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cloudstrewn
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Cloudstrewn

post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9303 Post(s)
Liked: 16463
Insta360 One X Hands Hands-On with Video Examples

The Insta360 One X is the hottest 360 camera of the moment, and for good reason. It combines high quality 360° image capture with software that is robust, fast, easy to use to provide a experience that rises above its chief competitor, the GoPro Fusion. The One X strongly differentiates itself from the Fusion By including a built in gyroscope that allows it to keep the horizon steady. Moreover, the Insta360 workflow is remarkably less laborious than that of the GoPro.

Here is a link to the Insta360 site, where you can find out more.

It's been than 24 hours since I got into using the Insta360 One X. Numerous examples of what it can do are coming soon, here's the first 360 video.

360 Video by Mark Henninger

That clip was rendered entirely on a phone, specifically an iPhone XS Max. That limited the output resolution to 4K, instead of the 5.7 K that the desktop application is capable of. It was captured in 5.7 K at 30 frames per second. On the other hand, the workflow was gloriously simple. I'll have 5.7K native 5.7K examples on YouTube soon.

Worth repeating, it's remarkable how much easier it was to produce this with the Insta360 than it would be to produce the exact same thing from the GoPro Fusion. About the only thing I would say that the fusion really has on the One X is imperviousness to lens flare. If the sun is shining directly on the One X, sometimes a tiny little red dot of flare shows up where is with the GoPro I never saw any sort of flare whatsoever. But, going back to the gyroscope, the GoPro "ruins" many more shots by drifting, and that happens regardless of what the lighting is like.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-23-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

So, I'm a little bit taken aback by what has just happened. I came home after shooting some excellent footage with the Insta360 One X, but when I attempted to connect to my phone it gave me an error code and said that the unit was not activated. This of course is not true, the unit is activated. I called technical support and was informed that they are having issues with their activation servers. So, if they have issues of their servers, you can't use your camera. He told me to just wait, and will start working again soon. "In 24 to 48 hours we think"

I think it's reasonable to say, if you are a professional counting on the camera, this unfortunate twist could be problematic. I certainly would expect a camera, even if it does require activation, to remain activated after doing it once. Being locked out of the camera is due to a server-side issue is an alien feeling to me, I certainly don't love it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Okay, an update. I guess the activation relates to the software on your phone because it works on my Android, but I'm locked out of it on my iPhone.

Unfortunately, even though I have a Note 8, the Android version the app is really laggy and unpleasant. So, I would consider this a iOS experience. If it's this bad on this phone, I can't imagine what it's like on a less powerful Android phone.

OK. I am starting to get the picture here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2019, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
OK. I am starting to get the picture here.
Hmmm ... glad I haven't bothered with the mobile app and just stuck with the Studio desktop prog and exported to After Effects for extra editing. Studio now has a version of 'FreeCapture' editing which I haven't tried yet but looks handy.
imagic likes this.

Last edited by Cloudstrewn; 04-24-2019 at 01:17 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2019, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
Hmmm ... glad I haven't bothered with the mobile app and just stuck with the Studio desktop prog and exported to After Effects for extra editing. Studio now has a version of 'FreeCapture' editing which I haven't tried yet but looks handy.
I'll get into the desktop app today or tomorrow. But, having the phone app work matters to me since sometimes I'd want to post from an event.

On the flipside, when I called for customer service a human answered the phone immediately and immediately gave me the answer. No laborious menus, no handing over a bunch of information, just a direct answer pretty much as fast as possible. And, the problem was fixed within a few hours. So on that side of it, I'd say the customer service experience was above any that I've had with the tech company in recent memory.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Insta360 Studio on PC is a dream to use. I could not be more pleased. Here's a 1080/30 render using the FreeCapture feature that's got the moves I was looking for.

Cloudstrewn likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2019, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Beautifully smooth - must have a go with this asap.

I reckon whoever is first with one of these with a pair of 8K sensors will make billions!
imagic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page