ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3 W/ 8K video recording & cooling fan - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 536
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3 W/ 8K video recording & cooling fan

Quote:
Despite clearly being targeted at gamers, the Nubia has something quite unique to offer in the camera department as well; it is the first smartphone to come with 8K video recording. Additionally, the camera can record slow-motion video at a whopping 1,920 frames per second although no resolution has been specified yet for this ultra-slow-motion mode. In terms of camera hardware the Nubia comes with a single-camera that uses a 48MP Sony IMX586 sensor and an F1.7 aperture, but lacks optical image stabilization.

So, while other camera specs aren't anything out of the extraordinary the 8K option should make the Nubia interesting to anyone who is creating high-resolution video. It will launch in China on May 3rd and start from approximately $430 for the version with 6GB RAM and 64GB storage. The top-of-the-line model with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage will set you back $640. A launch in other regions, including the US, Canada and Europe is scheduled for the end of May but no pricing information is available yet.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/029415...nd-cooling-fan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Sensor specs show DCI 4K @ 90fps and full 48mp 8000x6000 @ 30fps !
post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Unlike the real video camera segment where careful crippling of hardware and software is the order of the day, not much is being held back on the cellphone camera front. Whether the added features would work well enough or not doesn't matter. Some have been shown to work impressively while some are nothing more than a gimmick. The manufacturers have just been piling them on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 88
And here's an 8k TV we'll be able to purchase by the end of the year, backdoors and all:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/18...-nikkei-report
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7404 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
And here's an 8k TV we'll be able to purchase by the end of the year, backdoors and all:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/18...-nikkei-report
End of the year? You don’t have to wait Hatch, here’s one for you right now, ready for delivery. Let us know how you like it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n65q900rbfxza/
jogiba likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Well, there's got to be 8K otherwise these TV makers would cannibalize each other to the death with their current 4K offerings. These things as you may have noticed have been coming down in price by the month if not week. They may also be exhausting whatever technological edges or marketing jargons they can have with OLED, QLED, Micro LED, HDR10, DV and now HDR10+ etc. And by the way most mainstream TVs in the maket today are dirt cheap. So I see nothing else but 8K to allow some big names who can make or develop their own panels to make some real money (like they did in the early days of 4K and OLED panels) before everyone else jumps in to compete for the last dime.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
End of the year? You don’t have to wait Hatch, here’s one for you right now, ready for delivery. Let us know how you like it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n65q900rbfxza/
LoL... I've purchased two Samsung monitors in my life. Both failed in the last month of the warranty period. So never again.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7404 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Well, there's got to be 8K otherwise these TV makers would cannibalize each other to the death with their current 4K offerings. These things as you may have noticed have been coming down in price by the month if not week. They may also be exhausting whatever technological edges or marketing jargons they can have with OLED, QLED, Micro LED, HDR10, DV and now HDR10+ etc. And by the way most mainstream TVs in the maket today are dirt cheap. So I see nothing else but 8K to allow some big names who can make or develop their own panels to make some real money (like they did in the early days of 4K and OLED panels) before everyone else jumps in to compete for the last dime.
At least when OLED started out there was a rationale for their crazy high prices, rejects, lots of them. In fact it was so expensive to produce them, Samsung, the only other large screen OLED manufacturer aside from LG, exited the OLED market.

Between rejects and not being able to figure out how to manufacture them more cheaply, Samsung threw in the towel. I suspect they’ve regretted that since their S. Korean rival, LG, has dominated the high-end TV market ever since.

Samsung also has a nasty tendency to deliberately confuse the public with marketing jargon (not that Samsung has a lock on that, they’re just one of the worst offenders). It’s no coincidence that they coined the term ‘QLED’ for their upper end TVs. QLED can certainly sound a lot like OLED. OLED is the superior technology.

I’ve seen a number of people confuse the two and walk away surprised to find out that Samsung’s QLED is essentially just LCD/LED. Until we have true, self-emissive QLED, it will simply remain marketing hype.

As for 8K, the entire concept eludes me when you consider that many people, when sitting at typical viewing distances, have trouble distinguishing between HD and 4K. The visual differences between 4K and 8K will be even harder to see at normal viewing distances.

While attending the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas a couple of years ago, I walked past an 80” 8K TV (I think it was a Samsung, but I’m not 100%). I did a 180 back to the TV and was absolutely unimpressed. Watching attendees reactions, most, like me, were not wowed. In fact if you didn’t walk up to within 2’ of this monster, the extra resolution would easily have escaped you. There were not many people that even noticed the TV.

But there’s money to be made, so stand back, it’s coming.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 05-03-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page