Ricoh Theta Z1 1" Sensor 360 Camera Hands On & Examples - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Bill Lunger
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan

post #1 of 13 Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 457 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9288 Post(s)
Liked: 16438
Ricoh Theta Z1 1" Sensor 360 Camera Hands On & Examples

Okay, I'm starting this thread now because I just got tracking information, The Ricoh Theta Z1 is being delivered today.

The latest generation of 360 cameras have already captured my imagination. I'm already thrilled with how the GoPro Fusion performs when capturing footage for Google Street view. The Insta360 One X Amazes me with how easily it captures sharp video that can be re-rendered as conventional video with that software, with smooth and sophisticated camera moves. I also enjoy the quality of outdoor 360 stills from the One X, and it does a good job with HDR.

But... the Ricoh Theta Z1 promises to bring the extended dynamic range capture capability of 1 inch sensors to the table, and in a package that remains pocketable. First impressions indicate that it's not exactly a hi-res video powerhouse. In fact with only 4K 360 video it gets beaten by the One X and Fusion in that department. But that's not what I'm looking forward to. It's the hi-res still photo shooting capability, and the low light shooting capability, and the extended dynamic range that has me excited.

Tomorrow I'm headed to New York City for an event with Epson, and (as long as it is actually delivered today) I'll have the Theta Z1 with me. I should have an opportunity to grab some B-roll footage from that visit the city.

Anyhow, please standby, because example imagery from this exciting new camera is coming very soon.
Marc Alexander likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Here is my first shot from the Theta Z1 I just received in the mail today!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R0010009.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	2563502  
imagic likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lunger View Post
Here is my first shot from the Theta Z1 I just received in the mail today!!
Nice, you can see the quality it brings to the table in that shot.

I had a tremendous day posting to Google Street View with the Theta Z1. Cherry Street Pier in Philadelphia. Straight from camera to Street View App.

(Links not working, sorry)

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-13-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Nice, you can see the quality it brings to the table in that shot.

I had a tremendous day posting to Google Street View with the Theta Z1. Cherry Street Pier in Philadelphia. Straight from camera to Street View App.

(Links not working, looking into it)

https://*******/maps/2QQXuhkkgsmQqNLTA

https://*******/maps/DaCpuYLnk2W9okEGA

https://*******/maps/dvQ7EhbSFuWndAdy5

https://*******/maps/tEsj1i4dpUQvrUc18
That's great. But this is a camcorder (video) site, so what? I do enjoy 360 stills; according to Google my 360 stills have been viewed 12.5 million times on Google maps!
post #5 of 13 Old 05-11-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
That's great. But this is a camcorder (video) site, so what? I do enjoy 360 stills; according to Google my 360 stills have been viewed 12.5 million times on Google maps!
I like looking at 360s on a TV; it's animated, so in effect it's "video"

But sure...

Actual video coming soon, either next time the sun pops out (I mean not a gray day) or better yet next time I'm in a cool indoor space.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-11-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-11-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

5 minutes of footage from a stationary location, Gilmour's Sound Advice in Manhattan, at the Epson 6500UB unveiling event. In the immediate vicinity, the camera and sound crew Epson brought in to record interviews between Scott Wilkinson and attendees.

I did nothing much to make this video, aside from hitting record, downloading to an iPhone, and sharing to YouTube. There's no audio worth listening to.

FWIW, Insta360 One X Video is basically unusable in this lighting.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 13 Old 05-11-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 148
That's a good low light capability for a consumer 360° camera but as you say if resolution is the main concern (always is for 360° video recording) an at least 5.7K or more than dual camera, 4 or more, setup such as the Fusion would be more suitable. From what I see on my 2K tablet screen at 1440p playback I would say the apparent resolution seems to be somewhere between 480p to 720p which is in line with what I have seen in clips from most other 4K-5.7K consumer VR cameras (with smaller photosites and poorer light sensitivity).
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
That's a good low light capability for a consumer 360° camera but as you say if resolution is the main concern (always is for 360° video recording) an at least 5.7K or more than dual camera, 4 or more, setup such as the Fusion would be more suitable. From what I see on my 2K tablet screen at 1440p playback I would say the apparent resolution seems to be somewhere between 480p to 720p which is in line with what I have seen in clips from most other 4K-5.7K consumer VR cameras (with smaller photosites and poorer light sensitivity).
In other words, the video is terrible by today's standards of video, including cell phones. Let's move on, nothing here for video. And it is $1,000.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
In other words, the video is terrible by today's standards of video, including cell phones. Let's move on, nothing here for video. And it is $1,000.
Your opinion. For me, the quality is fine for phone, way better than any other 360 video capable device that I can fit in my pocket. It's found a place in my show coverage bag until something better comes along.

Video snobs need not bother, agreed. That this works at all in indoor ambient light, is all gravy IMO. Since what I got it for is 360 stills.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-12-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Video snobs need not bother. That this works at all in indoor ambient light is all gravy IMO.
Having standards is not being snobbish. That is out of line. The resolution of the video you posted is poor, even as seen on my cell phone. Using the standard of "works at all" for a $1000 camera reduces your credibility as a critical reviewer.

This camera takes excellent 360 stills. Thank you for the video so we can judge for ourselves. No need for spin.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Having standards is not being snobbish. That is out of line. The resolution of the video you posted is poor, even as seen on my cell phone. Using the standard of "works at all" for a $1000 camera reduces your credibility as a critical reviewer.

This camera takes excellent 360 stills. Thank you for the video so we can judge for ourselves. No need for spin.
Lol, OK.

Thank for sharing your opinion.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-13-2019 at 02:17 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The canvas of 360°VR is immense. Technically it's not only 360° sweeping horizontal or vertical plane you have to deal with. There is also the above and under or the additional left and right. You need to blanket it all with either sheer pixel or camera number to have video footage comparable to what we have now with conventional recording. Then there is the problem of post processing of all those immense data into the preferred viewer controllable spherical angle file like the one on YouTube.

This thing IMO works better in terms of user experience in video than still since the viewer can get to choose what he wants to see in any particular moment in the same timeline. The dynamic of jumping right to what's always behind the scene we are seeing is so appealing.

The newer 8K camera discussed in another thread would be an example of another good step towards making VR videos more viewer friendly along with more computing power in the near future.
imagic likes this.

Last edited by P&Struefan; 05-12-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2019, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
The canvas of 360°VR is immense. Technically it's not only 360° sweeping horizontal or vertical plane you have to deal with. There is also the above and under or the additional left and right. You need to blanket it all with either sheer pixel or camera number to have video footage comparable to what we have now with conventional recording. Then there is the problem of post processing of all those immense data into the preferred viewer controllable spherical angle file like the one on YouTube.

This thing IMO works better in terms of user experience in video than still since the viewer can get to choose what he wants to see in any particular moment in the same timeline. The dynamic of jumping right to what's always behind the scene we are seeing is so appealing.

The newer 8K camera discussed in another thread would be an example of another good step towards making VR videos more viewer friendly along with more computing power in the near future.
Exactly. It's something different and dynamic. Maybe not the "cup of tea" for the picture quality obsessed, but to me it is a no brainer to use the Z1 to capture a scene at an event.

Yeah it'll be great to see the 8K version of this. But low noise 4K works too.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page