Another Mini-DV Archive Thread - Sorry... Need Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another Mini-DV Archive Thread - Sorry... Need Help

First, my apologies for creating another thread on this. I am sure this has probably been discussed, but I could not find an "updated" thread with regards to current SSD prices and software presets. I searched mini DV, vhs, and other things on this forum, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have finally gotten serious about getting all my family VHS tapes and MiniDV tapes on my hard drives. I wanted to create a solution that future proofs the archive with regards to non-deteriorating media format that is also easily accessible. I decided to basically create external hard drives out of the cheapest M.2 SSDs that I can find. WD blue series seems to be a good option. I will give an external SSD to several family members with all the videos sorted in folders and the like. This way they can easily click on whatever video they want to watch and easily sort through content.

I don't like the idea of using DVDs, blue ray, or any type of media that requires careful handling and storage. Disc media scratches and degrades overtime. Non-volatile storage like SSDs carry a bit more of a premium price vs HDD, but not like they used to and they will have a far better life expectancy that an HDD.

Feel free to refute my thoughts or findings.

I used a Canopus 110 to convert the VHS

I used a miniDV camcorder with firewire port to get the miniDV tapes.

Now to my questions:

1) Do you really see any reason not to compress the footage into H.264 format? I have zero plans to make any additional media cuts or anything artsy and I am fairly confident any family member won't really care either. They would rather just have a video clip to click on and enjoy.

2) I have adobe premiere CC 2019. I was planning on upconverting both VHS and MiniDV to 1080. I have tested this out already and it appears decent enough. (probably some of you are out there cringing already) What presets or settings would you recommend for both vhs and mini for the upconvert on these?

If you made it to the end and plan to offer advice, congrats and thanks a ton from this newbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 122
SSD instead of HDD is a good choice. I would still make a second copy on Blu-ray.

> Do you really see any reason not to compress the footage into H.264 format?

I am ambivalent on that.

> I have adobe premiere CC 2019. I was planning on upconverting both VHS and MiniDV to 1080.

Absolutely pointless. Rather deinterlace it into 60p (or 50p if you are in Europe), it would be much easier to handle and edit. If you insist on HD, then I would not go beyond 720p60, but would assure decent bitrate.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 149
On converting your materials into H.264 files I believe you'd be better off doing that. DV streams or any analog equivalent resolution streams digitized to DV take up 25Mbps of storage space. The format is by today's standards grossly inefficient. You can easily convert that into H.264 .MP4, .MOV or whatever suits your workflow at 1-2 Mbps while maintaining close to the original quality. Besides, most hardware nowadays from budget priced computers down to the cheapest cellphones or 4KTVs can decode (playback) H.264 media files effortlessly without the use of even the most basic add-on software.

On the upconversion to 1080p I think I have to agree with Ungermann it would be of minimal help if at all in terms of enhancing the quality of your materials. It probably would but only if you intend to meddle with the files later such as re-editing in the future. The bloated files normally would give you nothing more other than some additional tweaking headroom so you have less of a chance to degrade the quality further (when viewing at the original 360p-480p size) but that is the best it could do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page