Sony RX0 ii and a Rainy Monday: Time-Lapse and Rainout - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Sony RX0 ii and a Rainy Monday: Time-Lapse and Rainout

Time-lapse in the rain -what you cannot do with any Sony camera, from RAW stills:

Note the latest RX100 and RX10 cameras have no time-lapse capability at all. The RX0 ii does, as do the latest Sony A cameras (like the A7 iii). But of course they cannot be left out in the rain for 24 minutes, as here.

Same day, late-called (8:50 PM for a 6:35 PM game) rain postponement at Yankee Stadium - field too wet:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another Rainy Day

Without the need for a waterproof case or cover, one gets nice rain sounds.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7404 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Mark, I was watching your RX0ii vs OP low light comparison and I have to say I was genuinely surprised. I thought in the first pair of clips the RX0 ii had the edge despite the desaturated colors relative to OP, but in almost every subsequent pair, I thought the OP had both more detail and better color. At first I thought I had misread which clip came first, so I replayed it.

This was not what I was expecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mark, I was watching your RX0ii vs OP low light comparison and I have to say I was genuinely surprised. I thought in the first pair of clips the RX0 ii had the edge despite the desaturated colors relative to OP, but in almost every subsequent pair, I thought the OP had both more detail and better color. At first I thought I had misread which clip came first, so I replayed it.

This was not what I was expecting.
The f4.0 lens is what makes the RX0 ii not ideal for low light. The Osmo Pocket f2.0 lens lets in 4X the light. Remember I had argued the f1.8 lens of the RX100 V was key to its low light prowess, relative to the VI. Well the 0 lens is even slower. Some of the difference is due to the Osmo sharpening; Slog2 has very little so you have to peer. But the very last shot, at ISO6400 on the 0 was still underexposed and you see the smearing (on the screen there was a warning that light was not enough at 1/30th shutter and 6400ISO). The Osmo Pocket in Cinelike D is the best low light performer of all the action cam form factor shooters.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7404 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
The f4.0 lens is what makes the RX0 ii not ideal for low light. The Osmo Pocket f2.0 lens lets in 4X the light. Remember I had argued the f1.8 lens of the RX100 V was key to its low light prowess, relative to the VI. Well the 0 lens is even slower. Some of the difference is due to the Osmo sharpening; Slog2 has very little so you have to peer. But the very last shot, at ISO6400 on the 0 was still underexposed and you see the smearing (on the screen there was a warning that light was not enough at 1/30th shutter and 6400ISO). The Osmo Pocket in Cinelike D is the best low light performer of all the action cam form factor shooters.
Thanks for the info. I've been very impressed with the video quality & stabilization coming out of the OP. I just compared it to the new Osmo Action and was disappointed with a couple of things on the Action:

There is something going on with the Action and fine details @4K60p during motion. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the 'Rock Steady' electronic stabilization or if it's simply the result of the wider angle and the fact that the unit has to process & digest more details.

However between the EIS & wider angle, it looks like the codec is breaking down. I hadn't seen anyone commenting on that until I saw a review of action cams by Phil Bloom yesterday. He saw it in details in pavement when he was comparing the GoPro Black to the Osmo Action. I saw the same thing indoors while watching details in my carpet.

There is also a software glitch that constantly disengages dewarp every time you turn the power off and back on.

Otherwise the Action is good and the EIS does an excellent job, if not quite as smooth as the OP's gimbal. For me though, the apparent break down of the codec is a deal-breaker. It makes me appreciate the OP that much more...but that tiny screen really detracts from the enjoyment of shooting.

No substitute for our larger cams, but they do have a place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page