Exporting to MiniDV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exporting to MiniDV

I’m not sure exactly which section of the forum would be best for this post, but I’ll put it here because it seems you all deal with editing footage just as much as you do with knowing the ins and outs of the cameras.

Though it may sound like an odd thing to do in 2019, I’m looking to export some current video projects to MiniDV tape. I have FCPX and iMovie on my Mac. Neither appears to support exporting to tape anymore, just importing footage. Any suggestions for how I can go about doing it? Other software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmark View Post
I’m not sure exactly which section of the forum would be best for this post, but I’ll put it here because it seems you all deal with editing footage just as much as you do with knowing the ins and outs of the cameras.

Though it may sound like an odd thing to do in 2019, I’m looking to export some current video projects to MiniDV tape. I have FCPX and iMovie on my Mac. Neither appears to support exporting to tape anymore, just importing footage. Any suggestions for how I can go about doing it? Other software?
You would probably need to find a Mini DV camera that can take an input from an A/V source. Example:- Canon HV20 0r 30.
OR just chuck the whole idea and pass it to a professional setup which will do the job for you.

What is giving you the output signal? If it is your computer, I doubt you will get an A/V output from a Mac or PC.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

I’m just looking for the same functionality we had a few years ago, where the software that controls a MiniDV camera via firewire for capture purposes can also export to that camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Firewire works in one direction camera to PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmark View Post
I’m just looking for the same functionality we had a few years ago, where the software that controls a MiniDV camera via firewire for capture purposes can also export to that camera.

From the Canon HV20 User Manual

You can input video from an analog video

source (VCR, TV, etc.) and record the

input video on the tape in the camcorder

in DV standard. Analog video cannot be

converted to HDV standard.

There are some (old) video recorders which would record from mini DV to a DVD using FireWire. To record to a mini DV tape would probably use analogue.

post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I remember in the old days all my Sony Mini DV camcorders that had a Firewire jack could also receive export output via Firewire using iMovie on the Macs. I believe today's version of iMovie, and more likely FCPX, should be able to do the same but not 100% sure.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
I remember in the old days all my Sony Mini DV camcorders that had a Firewire jack could also receive export output via Firewire using iMovie on the Macs. I believe today's version of iMovie, and more likely FCPX, should be able to do the same but not 100% sure.
Yep, that’s how I used to do it, probably 10 years ago. Via firewire, it could also print to tape. They have since removed that functionality from the current versions. Granted, I’m probably one of the few crazies out there trying to downscale and export to a MiniDV tape, which is probably why. Nobody really has the need to do it in this day and age. But it would’ve come in handy if they had left the option there.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Some DV camcorders like Pansonic GS500 allow import/export via USB 2.0. But yes, most use Firewire.

I owned and sold the HV20, HV30, HV40, HC1, V1U... But I still have the Elura 100 and the GS500. Too bad it is PV-GS500, not NV-GS500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page