Sony Movie Add-On Stabilization and the Sony RX0 ii: Test - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Sony Movie Add-On Stabilization and the Sony RX0 ii: Test

The Sony Mobile app plus the Movie Add-on works with the Sony RX0 ii to stabilize, on your phone, RX0 ii video clips. The trick is it uses the gyro information embedded in the clips. Right now it can only export FullHD video, right on the phone. It is very quick. The Sony RX0 ii is the only camera that works with this app.

So, how does it do? Can you walk with the camera and get smooth video? Well, not without the add-on.

In this video I first show the "raw" clip, then the stabilized version.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
The Sony Mobile app plus the Movie Add-on works with the Sony RX0 ii to stabilize, on your phone, RX0 ii video clips. The trick is it uses the gyro information embedded in the clips. Right now it can only export FullHD video, right on the phone. It is very quick. The Sony RX0 ii is the only camera that works with this app.

So, how does it do? Can you walk with the camera and get smooth video? Well, not without the add-on.

In this video I first show the "raw" clip, then the stabilized version.

https://youtu.be/JEOgh67VrcQ
Hi Mark 41:
This is interesting via an App, but it would seem to be, that because of the form factor of the Sony RXOII (similar to the square box) of the GoPro 7 and DJI Osmo Action cam it would be easy to mount it on a small gimbal like the Moza Mini or the Ziyhun Smooth 4 and not be limited to only HD. using the proper adaptor or counter weights of course. I am looking in Youtube to see if someone has done this adaptation.

BTW I am eagerly waiting your review and opinion on the New DJI Osmo Action cam.

Thank You
Luis
post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post
Hi Mark 41:
This is interesting via an App, but it would seem to be, that because of the form factor of the Sony RXOII (similar to the square box) of the GoPro 7 and DJI Osmo Action cam it would be easy to mount it on a small gimbal like the Moza Mini or the Ziyhun Smooth 4 and not be limited to only HD. using the proper adaptor or counter weights of course. I am looking in Youtube to see if someone has done this adaptation.

BTW I am eagerly waiting your review and opinion on the New DJI Osmo Action cam.

Thank You
Luis
Here it is on a $99 gimbal:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8298
Quote:
Hi Mark 41:

Thank You
Luis
I know you didn't ask me, but I currently have both cameras, the Pocket & the Action. As someone who will always lean toward video quality over other things such as a wider angle or water resistance, I prefer the Pocket. I've found (as has Philip Bloom), that there is artifacting & loss of fine detail going on with the Action. The Pocket also provides better low light than the Action.

I started a thread on this, and I believe the detail/artifacting issue revolves around the Action having to process 4K60p and perform electronic stabilization at the same time. Those are two heft tasks when taken together.

However if the wider angle is a must as well as the ability to use in water, the Action seems up to the task.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but I currently have both cameras, the Pocket & the Action. As someone who will always lean toward video quality over other things such as a wider angle or water resistance, I prefer the Pocket. I've found (as has Philip Bloom), that there is artifacting & loss of fine detail going on with the Action. The Pocket also provides better low light than the Action.

I started a thread on this, and I believe the detail/artifacting issue revolves around the Action having to process 4K60p and perform electronic stabilization at the same time. Those are two heft tasks when taken together.

However if the wider angle is a must as well as the ability to use in water, the Action seems up to the task.
Hi Ken:
Yes I saw Bloom's video too and I was probably hard pressed to see the artifacting of the Osmo Action in small 4K screen, probably on your larger 4K screen it can be an issue, but I agree with you
I was blown away from the Osmo Pocket detail since the first day and certainly stabilization wise, the Pocket has an edge, but again so many new things in the Osmo Action, like the ability to use presets, HDR, and the quick button to change modes, I love my Pocket, but I will get the Osmo Action soon, hopefully they will have firmware improvements coming up too.

Thanks,
Luis
post #6 of 6 Old 06-02-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8298
Quote:
Hi Ken:
Yes I saw Bloom's video too and I was probably hard pressed to see the artifacting of the Osmo Action in small 4K screen, probably on your larger 4K screen it can be an issue, but I agree with you
I was blown away from the Osmo Pocket detail since the first day and certainly stabilization wise, the Pocket has an edge, but again so many new things in the Osmo Action, like the ability to use presets, HDR, and the quick button to change modes, I love my Pocket, but I will get the Osmo Action soon, hopefully they will have firmware improvements coming up too.

Thanks,
Luis
I saw Phil's issue with detail because it was almost exactly like what I had seen on my indoor test with my carpet. The blurred detail in the pavement as Bloom walked was the same issue I had with details in my carpet. Likewise I saw it with blades of grass.

Luis, just so you know, the HDR on the Action is not true HDR, but rather a 'pseudo-HDR'. It's not any variant of typical HDR formats like HDR10, HDR10+ or DV, and will not trigger an HDR-capable TV to display HDR. I was disappointed with that aspect of the Action too and found the HDR designation a bit misleading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page