1Likes
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan

post #1 of 4 Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony FDR-AX53 Sharpness

My AX53 is nowhere near as sharp as my other Sony cameras that shoot 4K video, even with their sharpness levels set to -7.

I shot an Xrite ColorChecker Passport Video Focus Target and I have enclosed a photo of my AX53 LCD screen, with peaking enabled. I can't find any instructions on how to interpret the test, but significant areas do not show the red peaking. This happens with both auto and manual focus and in both portrait and landscape orientation.

Is there a problem with the lens or do I just not know how to administer or evaluate the test? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2538.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	841.6 KB
ID:	2574900  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 36
In my tests the AX53 resolves about 80-85% of the 4K detail of cameras with sensors 1 inch and bigger - pretty typical for its 1/2.5 inch sensor. You don't specify your other cameras, but if they're all 1 inch or over I wouldn't worry too much.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The AX53 is certainly not one of the sharpest 4K cameras in terms of sheer resolution. I don't have the exact numbers to back this up but am saying from my experience using several 4K cameras and camcorders. It is mainly designed for the home video shooter type or people who want a long servo-zoom range in a true camcorder form factor that is also light and compact as well as shoots better footage than the majority of the conventional HD camcorders out there in the market.

The strengths of this camcorder lie in its ability to gain up to the max or near the max with less noise than virtually ALL cameras or camcorders with a traditionally small 1/2.3" to 1/3" sensor with 4:3 aspect ratio. The extremely compact lens is also excellent at both the wide and tele ends with very low CA and distortions. Its sensor is, unlike sensors in most hybrid cameras, is a true 16:9 aspect ratio meaning there is no wasted pixels not used to capture the image. The relatively low sensor resolution of about 8.2M pixels, not enough for raw data to filter through the Bayering process for a true 4K image, is I believe a trade-off to allow for larger photo sites and minimizing certain artifacts such as rolling shutter and raw data processing load on the IP.

If you are used to the 4K from cameras like the 1" (also with 4:3 aspect as in all the models of the RX100s and RX10s stills form factor series) Sony AX100 or AX700 or APS-C A6500 that downsamples 6K raw data to 4K footage you are of course likely to be disappointed by the AX53, resolution-wise. But as I said, if you are looking for the highest resolution or detail this camera is not for you.
markr041 likes this.

Last edited by P&Struefan; 06-03-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 1080p 60fps on the AX53 is really nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version