Fine detail blurring on the Osmo Action-Why? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By luidoly

post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
Fine detail blurring on the Osmo Action-Why?

I had mentioned in another thread that I noticed blurring of fine detail on the Osmo Action that I had not seen on the Osmo Pocket. But why? Both seemingly use the same chip and compression scheme, so there must be something else at work.

Reviews that I had read never mentioned it with the exception of Philip Bloom. He surmised that it was the result of the wider angle lens of the Action vs the Pocket that resulted in an 'overload' of detail for the H264 compression. It sounded plausible, but I thought it might also be something else.

So here are 3 clips, the first is the Osmo Action with RockSteady engaged (their terminology for EIS), the 2nd clip with RS off and the 3rd from the Osmo Pocket. Look for the detail and artifacts in both the grass & the backs of the deck chairs.

When viewed on my 77" TV, the clip with the RS engaged blurs fine detail & creates artifacts more than with RS off. So it seems when this tiny cam is given the task of both processing 4K60p video and electronically stabilizing at the same time, it becomes a task just too great in terms of retaining fine detail. The Pocket, with mechanical stabilization via the gimbal, doesn't have to be concerned about electronically stabilizing the video, and thus presents a cleaner image. Although the wider angle of the Action may be partially responsible, I do think the EIS is the greater culprit.

Deactivating RS, to achieve better image quality, results in what I would consider to be essentially unusable video and defeats the purpose of the device. In general, I prefer the video quality from the Osmo Pocket with its mechanical stabilization and better low light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2019, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 149
3 axises of movement on the OP are stabilized mechanically while all stray movement on the Action is stabilized electronically and in realtime therefore taking significant load on the IP especially at 4K/60p. So no free lunch until maybe the next generation or two when more powerful chips are available.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
3 axises of movement on the OP are stabilized mechanically while all stray movement on the Action is stabilized electronically and in realtime therefore taking significant load on the IP especially at 4K/60p. So no free lunch until maybe the next generation or two when more powerful chips are available.
That was exactly my point. The current Action processor can’t do it all with the same finesse as the Pocket with its mechanical gimbal, and it shows. With that said, I’m sure the video quality will be fine for most users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
That was exactly my point. The current Action processor can’t do it all with the same finesse as the Pocket with its mechanical gimbal, and it shows. With that said, I’m sure the video quality will be fine for most users.
Hi Ken:
I can see, some difference in the OA and the OP, the difference is little and I can tell you in the sample that you shot, THE WIDER ANGLE OF THE OA DOES HAVE A LOT TO DO, not a little, but a lot do with the detail that is retained by the tighter angle of the OP, as the first impression, the detail is more notable in the tree leafs. The same is by comparison of the back of the lounge chairs as well.
I have become so adjusted to the tighter angle of the OP and I like it so much that I don't miss the wider angle at all. Your point however, is well taken and probably the reason that in watching a lot of videos in Youtube, the tendency is to use 2.7 K when engaging Rocksteady. I don't have the OA yet, but will be getting one soon, then I will make some testing.
The wider angle lack of detail, is also magnified in the larger displays that you use. I did my viewing on 28 inch Samsung 4K monitor, so probably I also see less difference.
Anyway I have been very pleased with DJI in responding to customers request and firmware upgrades for the OP, so I hope they do the same for AO.
good job,
Thanks,
Luis
Ken Ross likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Luis, yes, I’m sure the WA of the OA is a significant factor in the loss of some detail, but in my tests the RS definitely contributed to the issue too when shooting 4K60p.

How much each contributes to the issue is hard to say since I can’t disengage the WA lens as I can the RS.

Fortunately few prospective users are as anal as me when it comes to things like this, and I’m sure they’ll be very happy with OA. More users might be bothered by the low light than issues revolving around resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page