Webcam audio distortion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-04-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Webcam audio distortion

This post may not be applicable to this forum and if so please disregard.

I am new to recording (drum module, webcam, music fromlaptop) so please bear with me. I haveconnected my module and web cameras (Microsoft HD-3000 & Logitech C920) toan HP laptop; then record all. I have afew recording apps including Logitech’s Capture, NCH Debut, Free 2X Recorder,& Bandicam. The audio is coming fromthe laptop’s speakers “7 USB Audio Codec”. I believe I have it connected correctly as I am able to capture videoand sound; then playback AVI or MP4 files.

My problem/question is when recording via the Logitech C920the sound is slightly distorted; it sounds fine via the MS camera. It does this with all four apps. However, the video appears better with theLogitech – higher resolution, faster frame rate, larger area, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be a hardware issue (faulty C920)? Software resolution? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssKayKay View Post
This post may not be applicable to this forum and if so please disregard.

I am new to recording (drum module, webcam, music fromlaptop) so please bear with me. I haveconnected my module and web cameras (Microsoft HD-3000 & Logitech C920) toan HP laptop; then record all. I have afew recording apps including Logitech’s Capture, NCH Debut, Free 2X Recorder,& Bandicam. The audio is coming fromthe laptop’s speakers “7 USB Audio Codec”. I believe I have it connected correctly as I am able to capture videoand sound; then playback AVI or MP4 files.

My problem/question is when recording via the Logitech C920the sound is slightly distorted; it sounds fine via the MS camera. It does this with all four apps. However, the video appears better with theLogitech – higher resolution, faster frame rate, larger area, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be a hardware issue (faulty C920)? Software resolution? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The question should be why do you want to record sound through a webcam? If you are serious about the sound then you would be better using an audio recorder and keeping the Logitech for the video. Webcam mics are OK for having a chat.
I use a Tascam DR-60D MkII with my camcorder. The recorder is usually fitted with two matching Berhinger condenser mics and is connected to the camcorder to give a sync track for matching in post production.
Or how about the Zoom Q range of video recorders which will give you a video with quality audio?
post #3 of 3 Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
The question should be why do you want to record sound through a webcam? If you are serious about the sound then you would be better using an audio recorder and keeping the Logitech for the video. Webcam mics are OK for having a chat.
I use a Tascam DR-60D MkII with my camcorder. The recorder is usually fitted with two matching Berhinger condenser mics and is connected to the camcorder to give a sync track for matching in post production.
Or how about the Zoom Q range of video recorders which will give you a video with quality audio?
I guess I should have been more specific - my bad. I don't record audio from the webcam, just video. The audio (music) comes from the laptop with an external audio interface, drum sounds from the module, all going through a small mixer, then back into the computer for recording.

My biggest question is - does the Logitech C920 have an issue with causing distortion even though I'm not recording sound from it? The reason I ask is because I'm only having this problem when recording video via the C920. When I record video from the MS HD-3000 all works fine. The problem with the 3000 is the video is not as good.

Thanks for your response,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page