Sony RX0 ii on a Gimbal: India Festival and Demo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Sony RX0 ii on a Gimbal: India Festival and Demo

India Festival:

Demo of moving with the camera:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
India Festival:

https://youtu.be/7-fZjD9PzH0

Demo of moving with the camera:

https://youtu.be/4fClQ20RSeU
Hi Mark:
That looks pretty good for stabilization of the RXOII, were you able to fit the camera horizontally between the Phone clasps?? or the you have to do any modifications to the Smooth Q,
What is the weight of the RXOII???
Thanks,
Luis
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post
Hi Mark:
That looks pretty good for stabilization of the RXOII, were you able to fit the camera horizontally between the Phone clasps?? or the you have to do any modifications to the Smooth Q,
What is the weight of the RXOII???
Thanks,
Luis
The RX0 ii weighs 4.7 ounces, including battery and card. The Smooth Q is rated up to 7.8 ounces.

The camera does fit between the clasp for cell phone. But I use a special adapter so I can see the screen. I got this adapter from:

The Smooth Q is only $99, and it has an 8-12 hour battery life, so you can just leave it on and shoot all day with it.

Last edited by markr041; 06-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
The RX0 ii weighs 4.7 ounces, including battery and card. The Smooth Q is rated up to 7.8 ounces.

The camera does fit between the clasp for cell phone. But I use a special adapter so I can see the screen. I got this adapter from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Gt9uFZwO0

The Smooth Q is only $99, and it has an 8-12 hour battery life, so you can just leave it on and shoot all day with it.
Hi Mark:
Yes I know DanyDan well from France he does great modifications, I have the Smooth Q already modify for the Sony RX-100V works really well.
Have you got the DJI Osmo Action?

Thanks,
Luis
post #5 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mark:
Yes I know DanyDan well from France he does great modifications, I have the Smooth Q already modify for the Sony RX-100V works really well.
Have you got the DJI Osmo Action?

Thanks,
Luis
I do not have any interest in the DJI Action Cam. Its audio and picture quality is inferior to those of the Hero7. The Hero7 sells for $329 right now, btw.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I do not have any interest in the DJI Action Cam. Its audio and picture quality is inferior to those of the Hero7. The Hero7 sells for $329 right now, btw.
Hi Mark:
Well, we differ a lot about the picture quality, I agree with the Audio, but anyway I don't have the Osmo Action yet, but as it has been seen from the Osmo Pocket and the multiples upgrades in firmware to address some of the issues to where we are now, I have confidence that DJI will do the same. Will see if it will change when I actually own one.
thanks,
Luis
post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mark:
Well, we differ a lot about the picture quality, I agree with the Audio, but anyway I don't have the Osmo Action yet, but as it has been seen from the Osmo Pocket and the multiples upgrades in firmware to address some of the issues to where we are now, I have confidence that DJI will do the same. Will see if it will change when I actually own one.
thanks,
Luis
Ken's videos show some serious picture issues with the DJI Action cam, most reviews that do a reasonable comparison show the picture is inferior. I like the Osmo Pocket IQ, so I dont have anything against DJI. But it is clear from the videos there are issues, including oversharpening. And audio is really important. The Sony cameras have good audio, as do GoPros. The Osmo Pocket audio is not very good either, and it's a serious flaw - mono! The audio from thecaction cam won't be fixed, maybe the IQ will be improved. If you get it, maybe you will get more from it than the reviewers did.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7404 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
The DJI Action’s PQ is just not up to par and I seriously doubt firmware upgrades will help. The type of firmware upgrades the OP received (AF, gimbal, Pro settings etc.) were not at all related to the PQ issues we see in the Action.

I believe the overall loss of detail and detail artifacts with motion, are tied to the processor having to handle both the wider FOV and, probably more importantly, the simultaneous burden of EIS. My tests showed an improvement in detail when I switched off RS, but then the picture was too unstable and thus unusable. Who knows, maybe even the inclusion of the much more efficient H265 might have helped with this burden. But other than an unlikely future update including H265 as a compression option, I don’t see firmware updates being able to address these issues. Frankly I doubt most users will even care.

For me the OP, despite having mediocre audio as Mark correctly mentioned, is still my best option for a tiny camera. My main motivation for getting the Action was the larger screen. The OP, because of the obvious design philosophy, has as tiny a screen as you’ll find. For me that detracts from the fun of using it. Shooting with my larger and heavier A7iii is actually a more enjoyable experience.

If not for issues with the RX0 ii (subpar EIS & LCD screen shutting off after a few seconds while shooting 4K) I would have gone for that. I could easily work around the lowlight & focusing issues that are mentioned in some reviews. Its better PQ is apparent in Mark’s videos. However I’m not someone who addresses issues with add-ons like external gimbals, screens, etc. For me that defeats the purpose and elegance of a small cam. That’s just my hangup.

At least for now that brings me back to the OP that better serves my needs for a very casual tiny cam despite me appreciating the better PQ of the RX0 ii.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The DJI Action’s PQ is just not up to par and I seriously doubt firmware upgrades will help. The type of firmware upgrades the OP received (AF, gimbal, Pro settings etc.) were not at all related to the PQ issues we see in the Action.

I believe the overall loss of detail and detail artifacts with motion, are tied to the processor having to handle both the wider FOV and, probably more importantly, the simultaneous burden of EIS. My tests showed an improvement in detail when I switched off RS, but then the picture was too unstable and thus unusable. Who knows, maybe even the inclusion of the much more efficient H265 might have helped with this burden. But other than an unlikely future update including H265 as a compression option, I don’t see firmware updates being able to address these issues. Frankly I doubt most users will even care.

For me the OP, despite having mediocre audio as Mark correctly mentioned, is still my best option for a tiny camera. My main motivation for getting the Action was the larger screen. The OP, because of the obvious design philosophy, has as tiny a screen as you’ll find. For me that detracts from the fun of using it. Shooting with my larger and heavier A7iii is actually a more enjoyable experience.

If not for issues with the RX0 ii (subpar EIS & LCD screen shutting off after a few seconds while shooting 4K) I would have gone for that. I could easily work around the lowlight & focusing issues that are mentioned in some reviews. Its better PQ is apparent in Mark’s videos. However I’m not someone who addresses issues with add-ons like external gimbals, screens, etc. For me that defeats the purpose and elegance of a small cam. That’s just my hangup.

At least for now that brings me back to the OP that better serves my needs for a very casual tiny cam despite me appreciating the better PQ of the RX0 ii.
No no no. The RX0 ii screen does not shut off while shooting at any resolution if you do not want it to. There is a menu setting - never turn off screen. These vlogger clowns who post reviews based on a few days with the camera don't bother to read the manual. I have seen at least two video "reviews" that cry about the screen turning off, unaware of the menu setting.

Here is the menu item, from the manual:

"Mon. Off dur REC (movie)

Sets whether to turn off the monitor automatically after approximately one minute without any operations by the user when recording movies.

Menu item details

On: The monitor turns off automatically.

Off: The monitor does not turn off automatically. To keep the monitor turned on, select [Off]." Emphasis mine.

Last edited by markr041; 06-11-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
No no no. The RX0 ii screen does not shut off while shooting at any resolution if you do not want it to. There is a menu setting - never turn off screen. These vlogger clowns who post reviews based on a few days with the camera don't bother to read the manual. I have seen at least two video "reviews" that cry about the screen turning off, unaware of the menu setting.

Here is the menu item, from the manual:

"Mon. Off dur REC (movie)

Sets whether to turn off the monitor automatically after approximately one minute without any operations by the user when recording movies.

Menu item details

On: The monitor turns off automatically.

Off: The monitor does not turn off automatically. To keep the monitor turned on, select [Off].
Yup, I'm sure I saw those two reviews! They seemed to indicate it only occurred in 4K, but one did admit he didn't look carefully through all the menus. Then why mention it?

So that's good to hear Mark, but I'm still left with the subpar EIS.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Yup, I'm sure I saw those two reviews! They seemed to indicate it only occurred in 4K, but one did admit he didn't look carefully through all the menus. Then why mention it?

So that's good to hear Mark, but I'm still left with the subpar EIS.
I agree about the EIS. Once one has used the Osmo Pocket, or even the EIS of the GoPro Hero7, it does seem to be subpar, although far better than none! It is why I looked into gimbal use, to get both good IQ, bigger screen and stabilization. The Osmo Pocket's IQ is actually pretty good, as is its DR using Cinelike D and its low-light performance.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I agree about the EIS. Once one has used the Osmo Pocket, or even the EIS of the GoPro Hero7, it does seem to be subpar, although far better than none! It is why I looked into gimbal use, to get both good IQ, bigger screen and stabilization. The Osmo Pocket's IQ is actually pretty good, as is its DR using Cinelike D and its low-light performance.
Agreed. It’s just that tiny OP screen that’s off putting. But given its size, the PQ is remarkable if not quite at the RX0 ii level, sans the RX’s so so lowlight. I have to believe the RX is more pleasurable to use given its bigger screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page