Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7417 Post(s)
Liked: 8310
Modifying the Sony PP

So I’ve mentioned several times that I’ve had issues with Sony greens (often too cool to my eyes) and I don’t think my A7iii is an exception. I do believe Sony’s color has improved with time and I don’t buy all the ‘color science’ talk about how bad Sony is and how Canon is always the best. There is obviously considerable subjectivity on that subject.

So I’ve spent some time trying to fine tune one of the picture profiles (PP1) in an attempt to improve that. The possible permutations in the PPs are endless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 434
The color hues look good. I think where Sony goes wrong is ATW gets thrown off if it sees too much green and compensates by shifting toward magenta. Did not see any of that in this video however. Looks properly toned without fake warmth, very natural green. As an aside, minor benefits from adding ND and slowing the shutter would smooth the motion of running water, don't have to go overboard but it looks a bit choppy, and just a touch less overall saturation might help with the red faces of the kayakers, looking a little flushed which they might well have been, but still color in faces a bit strong. Separation of foreground/background due to shallow depth of field is nice in this instance, isolates subject, could use a bit more shadow detail. There, more than I meant to say, looks good overall.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tom, agreed. Actually I was using a ND filter and shutter speed was locked at 1/60. I do think backing off color one notch might help with flesh tones. I should have gotten a better look at their faces to see if they were flushed from the sun & the exertion from using the oars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Then the choppy water has to be the encoder, e.g. low bitrate either your encode or more likely, YouTube's. It caught my attention to where I paused the playback on one of the fast moving streams, didn't see macro blocking but just didn't look as smooth as I thought it could. Not to nit pick about the shadow detail remark either, what I like to see is the noise floor raised just barely enough that *if* there is any shadow detail, it will show up. But if this custom matrix style lets you export straight from the camera without any CC or grading, then you've succeeded if they all come out like this, looks very acceptable, just beware of ATW, if you are for example, shooting under shaded tree canopy, seems to fool Sony. If it's doing that right too, then you've got it all covered!

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Tom, just a reference point, the original video was recorded at the max bit rate the camera allows, 100Mbps. No CC or grading was done at all with the exception of one clip, the ‘Statue of Liberty’ clip. That clip had severe backlighting, so I did raise the shadows to a degree. Was there more room? Probably.

However, I do believe what you’re seeing in the water was courtesy of YouTube compression since I don’t see it in the original clip. I’ll have to look carefully at the edited video on my drive via a large screen TV.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, I forgot to mention one thing. The video was shot with the AX700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page