DJI Osmo Pocket New Firmware Claims Phase Detect AutoFocus! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By markr041

post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 417
DJI Osmo Pocket New Firmware Claims Phase Detect AutoFocus!

Amazing claim, so how well does the AF work? With contrast detection, you often see the focus do a quick in and out a ("bounce") after it appears to reach a new point. This is what the Osmo Pocket AF did, a lot. This was reduced quite a bit with successive firmware updates, but this latest one is the first to claim a whole new method for AF.

So, here is a video with focus shifts, from close ups to far away and vice versa. Do we see a "bounce"? How smooth and how quick are the transitions?

Ken Ross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2019, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Amazing claim, so how well does the AF work? With contrast detection, you often see the focus do a quick in and out a ("bounce") after it appears to reach a new point. This is what the Osmo Pocket AF did, a lot. This was reduced quite a bit with successive firmware updates, but this latest one is the first to claim a whole new method for AF.

So, here is a video with focus shifts, from close ups to far away and vice versa. Do we see a "bounce"? How smooth and how quick are the transitions?

https://youtu.be/ceMezNtH2wE
Hi Mark:
I see the transition in the focus improvement that they portray, I also see very readily, the abrupt jump that phase detection has on a camera with "true Phase" detection has
like, the Sony RX-10IV which I ow and use very frequently I don't dislike the smoother transition in the change of focus of the new AF for the OP, and I certainly accept it as further improvement, but what I question is, whether this is able to be created from firmware upgrade in contrast to a sensor that has already the Phase detection inherent in it
This is a big claim that I am still puzzled.
Thanks,
Luis
post #3 of 4 Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8299
The focus seems quite smooth in its transitions. It would be interesting to have 2 OPs, one with the new firmware and one with the last firmware, in an A/B. I’m sure we’ll see that somewhere on YouTube soon.

I haven’t yet updated mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2019, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 149
This is quite strange. If the phase detection pixels had already built into the sensor why the camera wouldn't have had the capability from the outset? If, on the other hand, there were phase detection pixels on the sensor there could never be phase detection AF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page