• 1 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
AX700 at the Queens Zoo

A brief visit to the Queens Zoo testing picture profile 1 customizations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The alligator shot was outstanding, fantastic dynamic range. The highlights were blown on the "ducks in the river" shot. The other shots also had great dynamic range. Did you use the same settings on all the shots?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
The alligator shot was outstanding, fantastic dynamic range. The highlights were blown on the "ducks in the river" shot. The other shots also had great dynamic range. Did you use the same settings on all the shots?
Thanks, Hatch. Yes, all shots had the same PP settings, sans exposure. The ducks were tough because they were dark with light bills. You’re right though, I probably should have dropped the exposure a bit more since I did see the zebras on their bills.

I haven’t mentioned this yet, but as odd as it sounds, I prefer the overall PQ of the AX700 over my A7iii, despite the latter’s better DR. The 700 still handles DR quite well for a 1” chip.

I am much happier with the 700’s color using custom settings within one of the picture profiles than I have been with the A7. I have absolutely no idea why this should be. Even using WB presets, I wind up with better color on the 700 than the 7.

I also find the detail to be better with the matched Zeiss lens & chip on the 700 than my Sony 18-200 lens & A7iii, particularly at longer focal lengths. Granted the 18-200 is not at the top of the heap within the Sony lineup, but it is what I’ve enjoyed using with the A7iii.

Here’s another odd thing. Despite the greater number of PDAF points on the 7, I find the PDAF on the 700 more sure-footed. Then of course there’s the ergonomics of the camcorder style vs the DSLR.

For me it has kind of been ‘back to the future’, and I’m enjoying it. . We’ll be taking a river cruise down the Rhine in late August and the 700 will be coming with me and the A7iii will be staying home.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 07-13-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Wow. That's quite an endorsement of the AX700!

Were any of the clips taken in HLG?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
Wow. That's quite an endorsement of the AX700!

Were any of the clips taken in HLG?
None. Other than one quick test with the 700’s HLG, I haven’t given it any time. To be honest, I’ve fallen out of love with HLG. When I compare the color quality when shooting in HLG with that of SDR, I find color takes a hit in HLG. There is just something ‘off’ to my eyes with HLG’s color.

I found that to be true on the GH5 too, even when shooting 10bit HLG. So it’s apparently not just a function of Sony’s 8bit HLG. Others may disagree, but to my eyes the benefits of HLG are outweighed by the apparent color deficiencies.

I’ll test it more on the 700, but my one quick test showed a similar color rendering as my A7iii.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
None. Other than one quick test with the 700’s HLG, I haven’t given it any time. To be honest, I’ve fallen out of love with HLG. When I compare the color quality when shooting in HLG with that of SDR, I find color takes a hit in HLG. There is just something ‘off’ to my eyes with HLG’s color.

I found that to be true on the GH5 too, even when shooting 10bit HLG. So it’s apparently not just a function of Sony’s 8bit HLG. Others may disagree, but to my eyes the benefits of HLG are outweighed by the apparent color deficiencies.

I’ll test it more on the 700, but my one quick test showed a similar color rendering as my A7iii.
Realy great quality on that cam Ken,certainly better than anything i got on an RX10MK2 i once had i never liked the color on it although i guess the sensor is similar,the only thing would be the lack of reach for most of my kind of filming if i ever get back to it,super stuff Ken.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Realy great quality on that cam Ken,certainly better than anything i got on an RX10MK2 i once had i never liked the color on it although i guess the sensor is similar,the only thing would be the lack of reach for most of my kind of filming if i ever get back to it,super stuff Ken.
Thanks, Chris. I had that RX10ii too and was never happy with the color. The stabilization was also an issue. It’s interesting how these essentially similar chips can yield different results. Sony can and does tweak certain things from camera to camera.

Chris, I’m sure you’ll be back to videoing before too long. The birds are waiting!
flintyplus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page