Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By jogiba
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 18 Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16188
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Hands-On (Photo and Video)

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ is the tech giant's latest and greatest phone. It competes with the top iPhone and Google Pixel offerings in terms of photo and video capabilities. Since my primary Motivation for upgrading to this phone is the onboard cameras and photo/video capabilities, I'm posting this hands-on as an ongoing blog.

First, a bit of background. I've been in the digital photo and video business for two decades. I've worked with Photoshop since 1994 and I began shooting digital photos professionally around the time the Nikon D1X was released (2001). Moreover, I bought Sony's first consumer 3-CCD HD (1080i) camcorders (HDR-FX1).

With that as a starting point, I've watched consumer digital capture technology evolve with great interest. One huge and more recent shift was the gradual demise of the purpose built "prosumer" camcorder, now an endangered species. This is because cameras became much better at capturing video. This led to considerable lightening of the load in my gear bag. And yet, up until a couple of years ago, I lugged heavy gear to industry trade shows.

Of course, the more recent revolution has been in 4K capture and the incredible shrinking camera. Not to mention huge improvements in stabilization, and improvements in capture like HDR and wide color gamut that can now be shown on modern TVs. Recently, I relied on action cameras like the GoPro Hero7 Black and Osmo Pocket to capture imagery at CES 2019.

But now comes the Galaxy Note 10+ with its 3 cameras, ultra-wide angle lens and high-performance image stabilization. Technically, it has already surpassed the competition in measured performance, per dxomark.com. As far as video/photo capture capability goes, it does both 4K HDR10+ (30p) as well as SDR 4K/60p. It also has advanced stabilization that given near-gimbal smoothness to handheld video. I'm about to find out if this is the phone that finally lets me leave all the other cameras at home.

First Impressions

Before getting into the cameras, a quick pit stop regarding audio: Normally I'm totally dismissive of earphones that come with phones. But, the USB-C IEMs included with the Note 10+ are AKG and they look plus feel decent. So, I plugged them into my PC and launched Room EQ Wizard. And guess what! These buds are good. They play down to 20 Hz and below, and as high as your ears can hear. Sound is balanced, bass is emphasized a bit but in a fun and catchy way, without bloat... just nice solid "strong" bass, and the rest, nice and clear and crisp. In other words, worth using! I'd even dare suggest that for many Note 10+ buyers, there's no need to spend more on aftermarket 'buds unless you want to go wireless. I'm impressed.

These AKG earbuds sound quite decent considering they came with the Note 10+

My first photos with the Note 10+ were thrilling! Finally I can shoot the ultra-wide views that previously required a separate camera. The new Night Mode delivered superb results, finding deep shadow details in scenes that look almost totally dark to the naked eye. Each shot took about 5 seconds to capture but the detail and sharpness are uncanny.

This image of a construction site shows details inside the building that looked almost totally dark to the human eye.
jogiba, hatchback and ray0414 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-28-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-27-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 529
It looks like the Note 10+ has many more features than the Note 10.
imagic likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

I was about to post my disappointment at not being able to use the ultra-wide lens in the Samsung camera app. However, I was thrilled to see Filmic Pro does support it and also supports 4K/30p recording. There's no stabilization with the ultra wide lens, but with the Osmo Mobile 3 that's not an issue.

Lack of any support for the tele lens is baffling though...

Big points to DJI for making the Osmo Mobile 3 work with a phone this large.... with a Spigen case still on it! Best phone gimbal ever.

Certainly, for video the Note 10+ has a lot more options than the Note 9.
jogiba and ray0414 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Super Steady Stabilization... OK so it's limited to 1080p but wow it works!

Handheld stationary:

Riding a OneWheel:

In this clip I switch between the lenses as I record Super Steady stabilization

jogiba likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-19-2019 at 08:54 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Super Slow-Mo on the Note 10+...

jogiba likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 18 Old 09-19-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Here's a 13-minute 4K/30p clip of a crane being assembled, shot using the ultra wide lens with the Filmic Pro app.

jogiba likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 18 Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

+ A real testament to the cameras in the Note 10+ are all the photos I shot at the recent Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and CEDIA 2019. Hundreds of perfect photos, all handheld. I sold my SLR on eBay.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...pressions.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ia-2019-a.html

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 18 Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looking at this phone vs pixel 3a
post #9 of 18 Old 09-30-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12149
my biggest gripe with the note10+ cameras is no stabilization with 4k recording. the new iPhone 11 really exposes this on the Note when compared side by side. Next years Samsungs cameras are expected to take a giant leap with the cameras, hopefully they finally address this issue.

More issues:

-another issue is no flash with the ultrawide. but i suppose adding night mode helps.

- HDR10+ recording limited to 30fps. No thanks. Id rather do 4k60SDR than 4k30HDR.

Also, if you have this phone and youre NOT using Goodlock- 1 handed operation mode, you're not using the phone to its true ultimate potential. Goodlock had a good 2 years ahead of Android 10 which features the upcoming side gestures to quickly backspace. Or down angle swipe to go home or lock the screen. It's a game changer.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #10 of 18 Old 09-30-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Are you sure the Note 10+ doesn't have stabilization? As far as I know all Samsung models in the flagship lines, the Note and S, have had a combined OIS+EIS for up to 4K/30p since the previous generation. They might still not be capable of combining the EIS at 4K/60p now I am not sure but at least they sure still have the OIS.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Are you sure the Note 10+ doesn't have stabilization? As far as I know all Samsung models in the flagship lines, the Note and S, have had a combined OIS+EIS for up to 4K/30p since the previous generation. They might still not be capable of combining the EIS at 4K/60p now I am not sure but at least they sure still have the OIS.
The regular lens has OIS in 4K/30 and 4K/60. It is not defeatable in the Samsung camera app. Filmic Pro let's you turn it on and off.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Filmic Pro does not work with the telephoto lens at all

Also does not work with 4K60p.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Also does not work with 4K60p.
In Filmic Pro, on my Note 10+ 4K/60p works fine (including with OIS turned on) using the regular "mid" lens, but ultra-wide is limited to 4K/30p and no OIS.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-13-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And no constant frame rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In Filmic Pro, on my Note 10+ 4K/60p works fine (including with OIS turned on) using the regular "mid" lens, but ultra-wide is limited to 4K/30p and no OIS.
You are avoiding the issue (why?) - 0n the S10+, Note10, Note10+ and the Fold, which have three lenses, Filmic Pro does NOT work at all with the telephoto lens. At any resolution or frame rate.

And, as before, on all these Samsung phones the framerate is not constant, whatever you set it at. So, "30p" is not 29.97, but varies from 29 to over 30. Makes for odd motion.

Last edited by markr041; 10-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
You are avoiding the issue (why?) - 0n the S10+, Note10, Note10+ and the Fold, which have three lenses, Filmic Pro does NOT work at all with the telephoto lens. At any resolution or frame rate.
Lol... what? OK. What am I supposed to do about it? I'm not "avoiding the issue" there is no "why"

You have stated a fact, which of course I agree with since it's a fact. What is there to avoid?

I've got football to watch. See ya later.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Lol... what? OK. What am I supposed to do about it? I'm not "avoiding the issue" there is no "why"

You have stated a fact, which of course I agree with since it's a fact. What is there to avoid?
It is true you did not deny this shortcoming, but by not ever bringing it up or saying anything about it even once pointed out you avoid it. Same with the frame rate issue. Still not dealt with in the latest phones. That's a serious shortcoming for video that is quite visible, since motion is the point. Using Filmic Pro does not solve this, right? Care to comment on that?

I have a Samsung phone, so I have no bias against Samsung phones, but we need to have full information. I do appreciate the posted videos so we can see for ourselves what the camera produces; that is very helpful.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
It is true you did not deny this shortcoming, but by not ever bringing it up or saying anything about it even once pointed out you avoid it. Same with the frame rate issue. Still not dealt with in the latest phones. That's a serious shortcoming for video that is quite visible, since motion is the point. Using Filmic Pro does not solve this, right? Care to comment on that?

I have a Samsung phone, so I have no bias against Samsung phones, but we need to have full information. I do appreciate the posted videos so we can see for ourselves what the camera produces; that is very helpful.
Earlier post edited to mention the lack of tele support, it's good info. This is not a formal review. As noted, with the "mid" lens I can shoot 4K/60p with OIS in Filmic while ultra wide is no OIS and 4K/30p. I'm carrying an Osmo Action for 4K/60p stabilized rectilinear shots, certainly did wish the Note 10+ had offered more of an "action camera" type functionality with the Ultra Wide.

it's hard to understand why Samsung's own app does not work at all with the ultra-wide lens OR that Filmic Pro cannot access the tele lens. Neither limitation makes sense. Agree, lack of tele in Filmic Pro is a huge omission, leaves me wondering why.

I've been busy shooting, will have more clips soon.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

OK one thing I've got figured out... Super Steady (wide) mode is actually using the ultra-wide lens and "pure" EIS. That explains the 1080/30p limitation... the camera only does 30p and with the amount of crop used for OIS, it can't achieve 4K. Easy enough to check by pointing my finger at the lens and then turning Super Steady on and off. Definitely tapping the Ultra Wide lens for that.

Tele Super Steady is actually using the "regular" lens and my guess is it's hybrid OIS/EIS.

When I zoom with the Samsung app in video mode it does not appear to switch lenses, so the tele lens is not in play at any time for video capture, best I can tell.

This phone's cameras make a lot more sense now, aside from not being able to use the actual tele lens for anything video related.

Filmic Pro lets you use the ultra-wide lens with no EIS, the Samsung app lets you use the ultra-wide but only with EIS & a huge crop, which is why the effect is so "robust" but limited to 1080p.

-----

Here's Tele Super Steady in action...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-18-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page