Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-2019, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Z Cam E2 AF Tests

The Z CAM E2 offers AF and CAF. It is contrast detect. You can also perform touch screen focus pulls, and set A and B focus points in advance to have the camera move from point to point automatically using the smartphone app. How does it do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Mark, this particular Oly lens you have used in the past few videos on the E2 camera has two outstanding aspects when mounted on my Olympus OMD EM1 Mk2. Fast, totally silent, and smooth transitioning AF and either rock solid or floating smooth stabilization depending on your shooting style in tandem with the sensor stabilization on that camera. The combo is I think at least a step above anything even the already good Panasonic GH5 paired with some Panasonic stabilized lenses from my experience.

I have seen some YouTube videos from people using the Blackmagic 4K M4/3 with this lens and noticed a far less stable footage in all of those video and am wondering how well both the AF and stabilization system work on other independent brand M4/3 mount cameras such as the E2. Since the E2 has neither the PDAF nor sensor stabilization I understand the results have to be different from if it had them but the more important thing to know is how well, or how flexible the camera's firmware, is in harnessing those useful built-in features in different lenses.

Meanwhile, optically speaking I think this lens is great. The range is excellent and the IQ at both ends looked great to me. Couldn't find faults with it actually except being a little too heavy and large on most compact Olympus bodies. I have used one for a while on loan but do not own one as I prefer faster, smaller and lighter (here I mean really small and light), not to say cheaper primes on the small EM1 body.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Mark, this particular Oly lens you have used in the past few videos on the E2 camera has two outstanding aspects when mounted on my Olympus OMD EM1 Mk2. Fast, totally silent, and smooth transitioning AF and either rock solid or floating smooth stabilization depending on your shooting style in tandem with the sensor stabilization on that camera. The combo is I think at least a step above anything even the already good Panasonic GH5 paired with some Panasonic stabilized lenses from my experience.

I have seen some YouTube videos from people using the Blackmagic 4K M4/3 with this lens and noticed a far less stable footage in all of those video and am wondering how well both the AF and stabilization system work on other independent brand M4/3 mount cameras such as the E2. Since the E2 has neither the PDAF nor sensor stabilization I understand the results have to be different from if it had them but the more important thing to know is how well, or how flexible the camera's firmware, is in harnessing those useful built-in features in different lenses.

Meanwhile, optically speaking I think this lens is great. The range is excellent and the IQ at both ends looked great to me. Couldn't find faults with it actually except being a little too heavy and large on most compact Olympus bodies. I have used one for a while on loan but do not own one as I prefer faster, smaller and lighter (here I mean really small and light), not to say cheaper primes on the small EM1 body.
I agree. In my experience, with many lenses from Panasonic, the Olympus 12-100mm has the best OIS of any lens, has excellent AF and is very sharp. The cost is that it is big (bigger than the 14-140 Panasonic zoom and the 12-60 Leica lens, which is f2.8 at the wide end). It is not particularly fast (F4), but the aperture is constant throughout its range, which means one can choose focal length without worrying about f-stop changes. That makes it easy to use. It can focus pretty close too. And it is very easy to go from the AF to MF, since the lens has a shifting focus ring; MF focusing is also better on this lens than others. Zoom is a little stiff.

So, it is my go-to lens for any camera that does not have IBIS, like the E2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page