• 1 Post By markr041

post #1 of 2 Old 09-16-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 426
WDR (not HDR) Video

WDR video is a technique to expand dynamic range by shooting the same scene at different exposures and merging. This is a standard technique in still photography, by taking multiple pictures (HDR photos). This is not useful for video if the subject is moving. But there are other multiple exposure techniques for video, like different exposures for different lines in the same frame (interlaced!). The new Canon Powershots have WDR video (FullHD only).

The Z Cam E2 also has an WDR option that expands the DR by two stops or more. Their method is one in which two exposures are taken on different sub-pixels at the same time, so movement is not an issue - the shutter speeds differ (not ISO), so there can be an artifact when one part of the moving subject has motion blur (in the shade) and the other (in the light) has none. But if the slowest shutter speed is not slow, then this disappears also.

I shot a video the purpose of which was to show wall art and the production of wall art. Wall art is outside, so some of it is in the shade, some not and it was a bright day. So, I used WDR mode, shot in 4K Zlog2 using ProRes 422 HQ 10bit. There is plenty of motion:

Cloudstrewn likes this.

Last edited by markr041; 09-16-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Very striking. There's so much to explore with this camera. Mine arrives tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page