GoPro Hero8 Black & Max 360 Cameras Announced - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By markr041
  • 1 Post By zombie10k
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 16 Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9175 Post(s)
Liked: 16187
GoPro Hero8 Black & Max 360 Cameras Now Shipping

The Hero8 Black looks sweet thanks to notably superior stabilization. GoPro is not letting DJI eat all its lunch, apparently. The Max is also intriguing with stabilization that keeps the horizon perfectly level and does not force any crop on the image, albeit with a resolution limit of 1440p. But it's also a vlogging cam, a 360 cam and a panorama shooting machine.

Read more here...

See examples from the Max by clicking here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-30-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 88
What's sweet about that? Digital Lenses??? It looks like more GoPro BS.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
What's sweet about that? Digital Lenses??? It looks like more GoPro BS.
OK!!! Well, guess you are not buying one. Not sure what "GoPro BS" is but I'll defer to your expertise.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
OK!!! Well, guess you are not buying one. Not sure what "GoPro BS" is but I'll defer to your expertise.
Well, I don't know what "sweet" means - your characterization of the Hero8 - or "nice" for the MAX, talking about BS. This is a more serious site than this stuff. But thanks for the links. And "digital lenses" - really? This is just, well, BS - making a up a name for something obvious - sensor cropping.

On substance, I think the Hero8 is a big disappointment, more like a firmware upgrade of the 7. Still no 4K 120P, which would be really useful for an action cam. Now one needs a new battery just to get the higher bitrate in the new model, can't do that with the old battery. And, yes, I am not going to buy the Hero8. The Hero7 will do.

For the MAX you get 5.6K at 30P versus 5.6K at 24P on the Fusion. Is that worth a $499 upgrade? And one thing you do not need for a 360 camera - a viewfinder. So that step up is next to worthless, unless you want to use the MAX as a normal action cam, shooting videos inferior to $199 action cams.

It is clear that GoPro invested nothing in new sensors or processors (it is the same GP1), so they really could not up the performance except by minor tweaks - version 2.0! It is like Sony, no advance to 4K60P or 10bit video, just keep upping AF performance, because they do not have important new processing power. My bet is that the new model is cheaper to manufacture so margins are better (which is fine).

It is early days, so I can change my mind, but my initial reaction as GoPro user is amazement at the trivial upgrades. I would be delighted to be shown to be wrong.

The side note - more innovation from Chinese companies (DJI, Z Cam) than US, German or Japanese companies. The world is changing.
Geani66 likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Well, I don't know what "sweet" means - your characterization of the Hero8 - or "nice" for the MAX, talking about BS. This is a more serious site than this stuff. But thanks for the links. And "digital lenses" - really? This is just, well, BS - making a up a name for something obvious - sensor cropping.

On substance, I think the Hero8 is a big disappointment, more like a firmware upgrade of the 7. Still no 4K 120P, which would be really useful for an action cam. Now one needs a new battery just to get the higher bitrate in the new model, can't do that with the old battery. And, yes, I am not going to buy the Hero8. The Hero7 will do.

For the MAX you get 5.6K at 30P versus 5.6K at 24P on the Fusion. Is that worth a $499 upgrade? And one thing you do not need for a 360 camera - a viewfinder. So that step up is next to worthless, unless you want to use the MAX as a normal action cam, shooting videos inferior to $199 action cams.

It is clear that GoPro invested nothing in new sensors or processors (it is the same GP1), so they really could not up the performance except by minor tweaks - version 2.0! It is like Sony, no advance to 4K60P or 10bit video, just keep upping AF performance, because they do not have important new processing power. My bet is that the new model is cheaper to manufacture so margins are better (which is fine).

It is early days, so I can change my mind, but my initial reaction as GoPro user is amazement at the trivial upgrades. I would be delighted to be shown to be wrong.

The side note - more innovation from Chinese companies (DJI, Z Cam) than US, German or Japanese companies. The world is changing.
I read the TOS and best I can tell, each member is allowed to be as serious (or as casual) as they wish.

OK, so you are not impressed, you wanted a new sensor. Meanwhile, I think a built-in mount and improved EIS are worthy features and for the MAX I like the idea you can use it as a "regular" GoPro if you don't need 360 footage (and the processing/overhead associated) which is why it has the viewfinder.

The way I use action and 360 cameras, I like where they are going with the MAX. I fully understand that others will disagree.

Yes, I am enjoying my DJI Osmo Action. And my Insta360 One X. But I'm surprised to see such a negative reaction to these new GoPros. Does not bode well for the company if your response is the norm.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-02-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-02-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 5844
I have a number of gopro's including the Hero 6 Black. it's one of the buggiest cameras I've ever owned. swapped it out for several different copies, it appears to have some global issues across that line. battery drains quick, gets very hot, file errors during longer recording sessions even with their recommended SD cards. When it does work, it produces excellent wide angle video with good stabilization.

I read a number of these issues carried over to the Hero 7 black. I'm curious to see real end user reviews once these drop to see if any progress was made here. stability of the camera is paramount vs. extra new features at this price point.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-02-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have a number of gopro's including the Hero 6 Black. it's one of the buggiest cameras I've ever owned. swapped it out for several different copies, it appears to have some global issues across that line. battery drains quick, gets very hot, file errors during longer recording sessions even with their recommended SD cards. When it does work, it produces excellent wide angle video with good stabilization.

I read a number of these issues carried over to the Hero 7 black. I'm curious to see real end user reviews once these drop to see if any progress was made here. stability of the camera is paramount vs. extra new features at this price point.
Hero7 Black was glitchy for me, although not too bad. I find the DJI Osmo Action to be a a lot more stable and has a faster interface.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 16 Old 10-02-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 5844
Quote:
Hero7 Black was glitchy for me, although not too bad. I find the DJI Osmo Action to be a a lot more stable and has a faster interface.
hopefully third time's a charm with the 8 series since most of the bugs seem to have started with 6 series.

I still have my gopro 3 3D setup with the custom time sync connection between cameras. This is awesome for producing quality home made 3D videos.

markr041 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I still use my Yi 4K+ every once in a while and while the tech inside it is a bit old it has been an extremely reliable camera. I can shoot 4K/60p or 4K/30p with all realtime corrections such as fisheye correction, EIS enabled for long periods of time and the camera never stopped once because of heating. The footage at 4K/60p is excellent too with very little artifacts in fast action scenes or scenes with high detail. In fact it runs only warm even at 4K/60p with the waterproof housing, a testament to its excellent IP and perhaps some other key components.

Surprised that Yi, or Xiaomi, has never come out with an upgrade since. Maybe there is too little money to be made in this segment nowadays with all this competition.
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
$100 Trade-In Deal Now On for Hero8

Any digital camera worth $99+ when new is eligible. Free shipping to GoPro - they supply the label. Get $100 off the price for Hero8 (so, $299). The old camera can be in any condition.

They ship the Hero8 second-day for free when they get your camera. Now you can put those old Chinese knock-offs to good use.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hero 8 Black looks promising

Hypersmooth and TimeWarp were the two greatest features IMO that GoPro put in their Hero 7 Black. Looking forward to seeing the 2.0 versions of these features. I was surprised how steady and natural the image stabilizer was.

The game changer for me is the HERO8 Black has folding mounting fingers that eliminate the need for a frame. I always thought it was clunky to have to put a frame around it, now you can mount directly to the case, making things much simpler and easier.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vphoner View Post
Hypersmooth and TimeWarp were the two greatest features IMO that GoPro put in their Hero 7 Black. Looking forward to seeing the 2.0 versions of these features. I was surprised how steady and natural the image stabilizer was.

The game changer for me is the HERO8 Black has folding mounting fingers that eliminate the need for a frame. I always thought it was clunky to have to put a frame around it, now you can mount directly to the case, making things much simpler and easier.
Yes better EIS and straight horizons are real upgrades IMO.

Me too... ergonomics matter.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 16 Old 10-30-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
hopefully third time's a charm with the 8 series since most of the bugs seem to have started with 6 series.

I still have my gopro 3 3D setup with the custom time sync connection between cameras. This is awesome for producing quality home made 3D videos.

I used a Hero8 Black for a couple days and the interface is much snappier and it did not crash so I do thing there's been some progress. Hero8 Black Hypersmooth 2 is also a big leap forward and now EIS comes much closer to a gimbal. But overall PQ is no better than the Hero7 Black.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #14 of 16 Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
I got a black Hero5 a few years back and used it for snow skiing out west and MTB riding with my boys locally here in SE Michigan.

What I dis-like is the 1hr 10-ish minutes battery life while MTB riding, unlike snow skiing where we turn it on at the beginning of a run and off at the bottom, MTB riding its on the whole ride.

Does the 7 or 8 give 2 hours continuous battery life?
That's my "must" to upgrade.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I got a black Hero5 a few years back and used it for snow skiing out west and MTB riding with my boys locally here in SE Michigan.

What I dis-like is the 1hr 10-ish minutes battery life while MTB riding, unlike snow skiing where we turn it on at the beginning of a run and off at the bottom, MTB riding its on the whole ride.

Does the 7 or 8 give 2 hours continuous battery life?
That's my "must" to upgrade.
Neither of those models will last that long. I'm curious how long the MAX lasts in HERO mode, I've yet to test it but will probably find out this evening (got mine this morning).
mtbdudex likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 16 Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:
Neither of those models will last that long. I'm curious how long the MAX lasts in HERO mode, I've yet to test it but will probably find out this evening (got mine this morning).
Well even though the 7 & 8 offer advantages over my 5 ... my 5 is paid for.
Smartphones always seem to increase battery life by smarter use of electricity and larger capacity batteries, I expect GoPro to also increase battery life, till then I'll use my 5.... no way am I stopping a epic MTB ride to swap in new batteries ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page