AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Sony Alpha a9 II

Quote:
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format

Internal recording of UHD 4K movies is possible in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps and, based on the Super35mm recording area and effective 6K resolution, oversampling renders greater detail and full pixel readout is possible, that is void of pixel binning, for higher quality imagery with reduced moiré and aliasing. Full-frame 4K recording has also been dramatically improved for improved quality when working at mid to high sensitivities to permit full use of the entire sensor width. Full HD 1080p recording is also supported in frame rates up to 120 fps, and both resolutions utilize the 100 Mbps XAVC S format contained within an MP4 wrapper with 4:2:0 sampling. The high-speed, 120 fps recording also enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate set to either 30p or 24p. In addition to high-resolution internal recording, uncompressed HDMI output also enables the use of an optional external recorder for clean 4K recording with 4:2:2 sampling.

4K video recording also avails the ability to produce 8MP stills during playback by taking a frame grab from a movie and storing it as a separate file.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...irrorless.html

A sport shooter/ wedding camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

A sport shooter/ wedding camera.
Not for videographers. From Sony: "Picture Profiles have been left out since the a9 II is focused more on high-end photography applications where speed is critical." 'Nuff said.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I posted "A sport shooter/ wedding camera." meant for stills not video like the a7 S III.
Quote:
Sony users have been waiting a long time for the successor to the Sony a7S II. But according to the most recent report from a source who actually used a prototype of the a7S III, the wait might actually be worth it.

The report comes from Sony Alpha Rumors, who claims “a reliable source” told them Sony is planning to release an a7S II successor with a built-in fan and the ability to shoot 4K/120p video. Everyone is expecting 4K/60p, but if Sony could pull this off, video shooters would be very interested indeed. The source also said the camera does not record 8K, but with the ability to shoot 4K/120p, we speculate 6K/24p might not be out of the question.

Notably, Sony wouldn’t be the first to put active cooling into a full-frame mirrorless camera for the purposes of shooting ultra-high quality video. Panasonic already did this with its S1H (photo above), which can shoot 6K/24p and 4K/60p video in 10-bit 4:2:0—but not even the S1H has managed to crack 4K/120p.
https://petapixel.com/2019/09/23/son...ng-fan-report/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
I posted "A sport shooter/ wedding camera." meant for stills not video like the a7 S III.
https://petapixel.com/2019/09/23/son...ng-fan-report/
Yes, I was agreeing with you, just making clear to others. Clearly for stills
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Doesn't seem to have much improvement over the previous A9 as a stills camera either except for the data communication features but what can I say I'm not a "Fuh-tog-gruf-fuhr" (spoken softly) as some guy likes to say on his gear parody YouTube channel.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Doesn't seem to have much improvement over the previous A9 as a stills camera either except for the data communication features but what can I say I'm not a "Fuh-tog-gruf-fuhr" (spoken softly) as some guy likes to say on his gear parody YouTube channel.
It has the latest version of the Bionz X processor, so there will be improvements in overall performance that does not reflect in a spec sheet. The ergonomics of the grip have been improved as well. This is pretty much how Sony does things, lots of small relatively frequent incremental improvements on what is already there, rather than something completely new every time. I don't have a problem with that.

Most of my stuff is stills photography, and I would love to get an a9, it is just the price tag that keeps me from doing it. Certainly, when my NX1 dies someday, or otherwise becomes significantly obsolete, my plan is to bite the bullet and get one of these.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Careful what you say, the 'cripple hammer' is never far away
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
Careful what you say, the 'cripple hammer' is never far away
I remember myself always being mindful of thrashing the plain AVCHD codec whenever I used the Canon's otherwise superb C100 for lacking the broadcast standard MPEG-2 4:2:2 codec its near identical sibling C300 had. "Crippled" sometimes isn't all bad. A slightly lighter body, using cheaper SD cards instead of CF cards, and a more efficient compression codec which 99% of my clients or end users couldn't tell the difference from the more professional one. Nevermind saving my pocketbook from getting a hammer hit by the absurd cost difference the "Uncrippled" one, essentially the same camera with unlocked firmware had.
Cloudstrewn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page