Need Mac recommendation for Canon HV30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-04-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need Mac recommendation for Canon HV30

Hi folks. I got some old equipment and need to start thinking about upgrading.

I have a Canon HV30 camcorder. I love this camera, it still works, so I have no desire (or money) to buy a new one.

But, my 2010 Macbook pro is getting very long in the tooth. He's already had his battery removed, and he's quite sluggish with the latest browsers and other software.

My concern is this: If I buy a new Macbook, complete with the lightning ports (or whatever they're called), will I be able to capture video from this 11yo camera with a FW800 adaptor? Is the iMovie software compatible with it? Or, is there some workaround I'd need to pursue to capture video without just holding on to my ancient laptop?

Thank you much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithiepoo View Post

I have a Canon HV30 camcorder. I love this camera, it still works, so I have no desire (or money) to buy a new one.

But, my 2010 Macbook pro is getting very long in the tooth. He's already had his battery removed, and he's quite sluggish with the latest browsers and other software.

My concern is this: If I buy a new Macbook, complete with the lightning ports (or whatever they're called), will I be able to capture video from this 11yo camera with a FW800 adaptor? Is the iMovie software compatible with it? Or, is there some workaround I'd need to pursue to capture video without just holding on to my ancient laptop?

Thank you much.
I am not a Mac user but I can tell you what I found. There is a connector called a Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (from Amazon) which may do the job but there seems to be concerns about the newness of the Mac and compatibility. (see users comments below this item)
I had the HV20 for a number of years before concerns about wear and tape print through moved me to SD card based cameras. I am also a PC user so there was no problem fitting a IEEE1394 port to the PC. This worked perfectly up to the time I changed to SD cards.
IEEE1394 is often missing from new computers probably due to the fact that SD card readers are fitted as standard but if you can find a Firewire retro fit that will work with your new Mac you should have no problems.

A final thought. With cards there is no requirement to split the video into shots using timecode. The biggest change I found moving from tape to card was that every shot had its own file so all the work had been done when loading from SD card to the editor, this plus the added reliability of the card mechanism convinced me the change was for the better. I still have my HV20 for "old times".
post #3 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thank you much.
Yes it will do with an adaptor....thunderbolt to FireWire.
But stay with Mojave OSX.
After that.....nobody knows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
I am not a Mac user but I can tell you what I found. There is a connector called a Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (from Amazon) which may do the job but there seems to be concerns about the newness of the Mac and compatibility. (see users comments below this item)
I had the HV20 for a number of years before concerns about wear and tape print through moved me to SD card based cameras. I am also a PC user so there was no problem fitting a IEEE1394 port to the PC. This worked perfectly up to the time I changed to SD cards.
IEEE1394 is often missing from new computers probably due to the fact that SD card readers are fitted as standard but if you can find a Firewire retro fit that will work with your new Mac you should have no problems.

A final thought. With cards there is no requirement to split the video into shots using timecode. The biggest change I found moving from tape to card was that every shot had its own file so all the work had been done when loading from SD card to the editor, this plus the added reliability of the card mechanism convinced me the change was for the better. I still have my HV20 for "old times".
Well thank you for the full response. I guess I would say that I cannot afford a new camera right now, so the SD card thingie is out. I've got to find a way to make what I have work. Maybe the best bet for me (since I'm using a laptop, which does not have the ease of upgrade towers do) is to try to keep my ancient laptop alive as long as possible for the specific purpose of video capture. Not idea, but it may be my best solution for the next few years or so.

I know there's also a response below, so I will address that as well. Adaptors sound like good ideas -- as long as they work and the latest versions of the movie editing software "sees" my camera.

Again, thanks for taking the time.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geani66 View Post
Yes it will do with an adaptor....thunderbolt to FireWire.
But stay with Mojave OSX.
After that.....nobody knows
Okay, thanks for responding.

I'm running Yosemite. It's as far as I feel comfortable going.

iMovie v9 sees my camera just fine. I'm concerned later versions will not.

I can always look into adaptors. Not a terrible idea. My concern about them is losing video data or at least slowed-down capture times (although the latter would not be the end of the world).

But, as I wrote to Terfyn, I'm thinking about buying a newer laptop (I really have to at this point -- not an expense I want to make, but my machine just isn't behaving normally anymore), but keeping this 9yo guy for the express purpose of capturing video. For that, I could even do a fresh install from the original discs and make him feel like new -- for a while. In the mean time, perhaps I could experiment with ways to make the newer laptop my capture device.

Any other thoughts or ideas welcome.

Thank you!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Just want to chime in on the adapters because going forward with this ancient tape workflow you would want to get some available on hands just in case you would need them in the future. A straight firewire 400, either 4 or 6 pins, to USB-C Thunderbolt 3 may be very hard to find, if at all. So you'd better have at least first a FW400 to FW800 which is pretty old but quite common and either a FW400 or FW800 to Thunderbolt 2 (aka Mini Display Port) which can then be hooked up to a common Thunderbolt 1 or 2 (same physical jack) to USB-C Thunderbolt 3 for the latest computers.

I used to work with the FW400-FW800 and FW800-Thunderbolt 1/2 connected at the same time and there was absolutely no video transfer hiccups. The throughputs of these newer AV ports are so much higher than the Firewires. If your NLE can accept them it is no problem.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 529
For $1,399 you could get a 27" 5K iMac .
Quote:
  • 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core
  • 8GB of DDR4 RAM | 1TB Fusion Drive
  • 27" 5120 x 2880 IPS Retina 5K Display
  • AMD Radeon Pro 570 Graphics Card (4GB)
  • Apple weds high-res 5K visuals into its sleek, 5mm thin, mid 2017 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display. With a 5120 x 2880 screen resolution, this iMac provides 1 billion colors and 500 nits of brightness, which is 43% brighter than the previous model. The Retina 5K display also features a wider color gamut. Using a P3-based color gamut, the Retina 5K display provides a larger color space that more equally represents red, green, and blue, as compared to standard sRGB displays. And with more available colors, the images will appear more vivid and reveal greater detail, with more balance and precision.
    The iMac's processor has been upgraded and now houses a 7th-gen Kaby Lake 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core processor that can be overclocked up to 3.8 GHz, as well as 8GB of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM. Visuals are powered by a dedicated AMD Radeon Pro 570 graphics card with 4GB of vRAM, and for storage, there is a 1TB Fusion Drive.
    Outfitted with 802.11ac Wi-Fi and backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n for speedy hook-ups to your home network, this iMac is also configured with Bluetooth 4.2, as well as a UHS-II SDXC card slot, two 40 Gb/s Thunderbolt 3 ports, four 5 Gb/s USB 3.0 Type-A ports, a Gigabit Ethernet jack, and a FaceTime HD camera. It also has a Kensington lock slot for added security.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...th_retina.html

A $1,399 Mac Book Pro specs :
Quote:
  • 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core
  • 8GB LPDDR3 RAM | 256GB PCIe SSD
  • 13.3" 2560 x 1600 Retina Display
  • Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._pro_with.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version