• 1 Post By P&Struefan

post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8262
Zurich, Switzerland- AX700

This was our first brief stop in Zurich on our way to a river cruise down the Rhine. No testing, no slow motion, no color correction, no rigs as we see on countless YouTube videos, just a 4K documentation of a trip the way one might actually use their equipment in real life. The camera was a joy to use. Contrary to my experience with my A7iii, I could comfortably hold and use the AX700 for a far greater period of time thanks to camcorder ergonomics. More to come.

Geani66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
This was our first brief stop in Zurich on our way to a river cruise down the Rhine. No testing, no slow motion, no color correction, no rigs as we see on countless YouTube videos, just a 4K documentation of a trip the way one might actually use their equipment in real life. The camera was a joy to use. Contrary to my experience with my A7iii, I could comfortably hold and use the AX700 for a far greater period of time thanks to camcorder ergonomics. More to come.

https://youtu.be/8DBCBtTXS48
I like this, straight forward and to the point, no gadgetry of any kind, what a vacation documentary should be
Luis
Ken Ross likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post
I like this, straight forward and to the point, no gadgetry of any kind, what a vacation documentary should be
Luis
THIS is straightforward and to the point :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tc01YLHwpk
Ok, definitely very impressive, but...... this is not a vacation documentary, this is a professional production with intensive editing intervention, likely performed by professionals.
Thanks,
Luis
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luidoly View Post
Ok, definitely very impressive, but...... this is not a vacation documentary, this is a professional production with intensive editing intervention, likely performed by professionals.
Thanks,
Luis
Totally agree, Luis. I was assuming that Ungermann was being Ungermann, but one never knows.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tc01YLHwpk
Pretentious claptrap by a Hollywood wannabe. If I want to see what a city is like to visit, I want a video like Ken's. I would want more real sounds though, rather than music; that makes the experience more live and relatable.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Agreed. I always believe true vacation filming is something that shouldn't take more than a casual effort from the vacationer/shooter and distract him from relaxed, enjoyable vacationing experience.

As a matter of fact Ken did better than I have done lately. With a few of my smaller, lighter cameras available I haven't brought the old trusty Sony AX100 along on my vacations for a few years now. Too big, and too heavy with IMO less than stellar stabilization by today's standards.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Pretentious claptrap by a Hollywood wannabe. If I want to see what a city is like to visit, I want a video like Ken's. I would want more real sounds though, rather than music; that makes the experience more live and relatable.
Regarding sound, I agree, but my decision on usable sound was largely based on two factors, a) was there any sounds of interest and b) was the wind noise so obtrusive so as to render the ambient sounds almost irrelevant. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of wind on this trip and this became a common issue. In fact we came very close to cancelling the trip since the extended forecast showed rain & wind virtually every day in Switzerland, Germany, France and Amsterdam. Incredible.

I got some nice shots from the ship you’ll see later, but the wind there was nuts. I almost lost my hat on multiple occasions.

It was only 2 days before departure we decided to pull the trigger as the forecasts (I used 4 different apps including European models) became more optimistic. We had ‘cancel for any reason’ insurance just in case. Expensive insurance.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Agreed. I always believe true vacation filming is something that shouldn't take more than a casual effort from the vacationer/shooter and distract him from relaxed, enjoyable vacationing experience.

As a matter of fact Ken did better than I have done lately. With a few of my smaller, lighter cameras available I haven't brought the old trusty Sony AX100 along on my vacations for a few years now. Too big, and too heavy with IMO less than stellar stabilization by today's standards.
Yup, as much as the video quality of the 700 impresses me, the stabilization isn’t up to the same level. I have a fairly steady hand, but between the wind and the less than stellar stabilization, it was a challenge at longer focal lengths. I was always in search of trees, poles, anything that could assist in steadying the video. I don’t know if there was any claimed improvement in stabilization going from the 100 to the 700.

With that said, I’ve found the AF on the 700 is just stellar. If I could get the 700’s AF together with the Panasonic A9’s stabilization, I’d be very happy.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Pretentious claptrap by a Hollywood wannabe.
Indeed, tasteless and over the top. Like he says in the BTS, everyone, well maybe except of Ken, includes fancy transitions in their travel videos nowadays, so his video has no chance to stand out.

Instead of navigating the less-known places of Andalusia and then toiling in front of a computer for two months editing it all together he should have been playing with a latest and greatest gimbal or a camera, shooting a typical boring suburban American street in 4K or a fat ass crossing a road in slow motion.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Indeed, tasteless and over the top. Like he says in the BTS, everyone, well maybe except of Ken, includes fancy transitions in their travel videos nowadays, so his video has no chance to stand out.

Instead of navigating the less-known places of Andalusia and then toiling in front of a computer for two months editing it all together he should have been playing with a latest and greatest gimbal or a camera, shooting a typical boring suburban American street in 4K or a fat ass crossing a rolad in slow motion.
Or even better, shoot no video, post no video, just sit in front of a computer and post snide comments, some of which are entertaining and to the point, and some of which are just bitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page