Date and Time Issue With Sony Handycam - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Date and Time Issue With Sony Handycam

I have a HDR-CX550V which has worked great since I got it back in 2011.

However I noticed a few weeks ago while back up the videos that the files all showed dates with the year being 1999.

I went into the camera and sure enough the date had 1999 as the year. So I changed it to the correct date on the camera.

Last week we are on vacation at Disney World so we took a lot of videos.

I was backing up the files and at first noticed no problems.

But then I noticed for any videos taken after 10/23/19 the date again changed this time with the year 200.

Fortunately I was able to correct the dates on these files I knew when the change happened.

The camera battery pack was never empty and I did recharge it once to top it off.

Also from what I know there's an internal battery that's supposed to keep the date and time-but I figure this wouldn't been needed since the battery pack always had a charge.

Any idea what's causing this?
Shaun Streich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 5,187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
What does the Operating Manual say regarding this?

Quote:
Also from what I know there's an internal battery that's supposed to keep the date and time-but I figure this wouldn't been needed since the battery pack always had a charge.
Internal battery is likely a non-rechargeable galvanic cell. Check your Operating Manual.
Ungermann is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P&Struefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It's likely the internal battery. I have the Sony CX500E, a generation older than yours and since I have rarely used it over the past few years I have always put a fully charged H or V series battery on it while it's not used. Both the time and date as well as most of the camera settings are set to the current date/correct preset values when the camera is used again. Once in a while it has been put away too long both the external and internal batteries ran out I had to change the external battery and reset the whole thing again. But once they have been reset everything worked perfectly fine. In your case, I suspect the internal battery maybe nearly worn out so it can't hold or pass through the charge to allow the timer to function properly. Your other settings might later be affected too but I have no idea how much this thing would cost to replace in your area.
P&Struefan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
It's likely the internal battery. I have the Sony CX500E, a generation older than yours and since I have rarely used it over the past few years I have always put a fully charged H or V series battery on it while it's not used. Both the time and date as well as most of the camera settings are set to the current date/correct preset values when the camera is used again. Once in a while it has been put away too long both the external and internal batteries ran out I had to change the external battery and reset the whole thing again. But once they have been reset everything worked perfectly fine. In your case, I suspect the internal battery maybe nearly worn out so it can't hold or pass through the charge to allow the timer to function properly. Your other settings might later be affected too but I have no idea how much this thing would cost to replace in your area.
That's the thing-the first time this happened I am certain the external battery had drained since the camcorder hadn't been used in awhile.

But for the trip last week I made sure the battery always had a charge so it was never empty.

I am just trying to remember if the date changed after I had plugged it back in to get the battery to 100% again. But again the battery still had some charge left.
Shaun Streich is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-30-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 5,187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Streich View Post
But again the battery still had some charge left.
What does the Operating Manual say regarding this?
Ungermann is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Cloudstrewn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Streich View Post
But then I noticed for any videos taken after 10/23/19 the date again changed this time with the year 200.
Unfortunately, low manufacturing standards were commonplace in the latter years of the Roman Empire.



(sorry)
Cloudstrewn is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-30-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
Unfortunately, low manufacturing standards were commonplace in the latter years of the Roman Empire.



(sorry)
Wah wah.
Shaun Streich is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
What does the Operating Manual say regarding this?
Only thing I could find was the mention of the internal battery for the date and time-but cannot find a part # for the battery.
Shaun Streich is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-31-2019, 02:29 AM
Senior Member
 
spyker1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Streich View Post
I have a HDR-CX550V which has worked great since I got it back in 2011.

However I noticed a few weeks ago while back up the videos that the files all showed dates with the year being 1999.

I went into the camera and sure enough the date had 1999 as the year. So I changed it to the correct date on the camera.

Last week we are on vacation at Disney World so we took a lot of videos.

I was backing up the files and at first noticed no problems.

But then I noticed for any videos taken after 10/23/19 the date again changed this time with the year 200.

Fortunately I was able to correct the dates on these files I knew when the change happened.

The camera battery pack was never empty and I did recharge it once to top it off.

Also from what I know there's an internal battery that's supposed to keep the date and time-but I figure this wouldn't been needed since the battery pack always had a charge.

Any idea what's causing this?
i have sony hdr550, cx700, ax53, ax100, ax200, gopro 4, 6, 7. soon 8 and max 360


does your hdr500 play memories folder still works? you can connect camcorder directly to computer and save from there.


if you remove the card and transfer files to computer. it will give you 0001, 0002 file number


use can download free software 'Bulk Rename Utility'


https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/


can change date and time thru software. but be very careful when renaming cause it may mess-up you file order taken. experiment with dummy video first until you get use of the software
spyker1212 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
i have sony hdr550, cx700, ax53, ax100, ax200, gopro 4, 6, 7. soon 8 and max 360


does your hdr500 play memories folder still works? you can connect camcorder directly to computer and save from there.


if you remove the card and transfer files to computer. it will give you 0001, 0002 file number


use can download free software 'Bulk Rename Utility'





can change date and time thru software. but be very careful when renaming cause it may mess-up you file order taken. experiment with dummy video first until you get use of the software

That's the software I used to correct the dates from the vacation I was on last week.

Unfortunately the ones from earlier this year I am not as certain which dates the videos were recorded on.
Shaun Streich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Camcorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off