Is the iPhone 11 Pro good enough to replace a professional videocamera? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Is the iPhone 11 Pro good enough to replace a professional videocamera?

A fun read & video:

https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-11-...-video-camera/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Nothing special. There are full-length feature movies shot on iPhone 5.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

That’s not the point. The camera is vastly improved over the iPhone 5 and thus the question was asked precisely because the camera has gotten that good. Of course it’s not going to replace a pro videocamera, but it’s good enough that they showed it could be used in a pinch when the production simply needed a quick clip and other cameras weren’t available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To me, the major difference is three cameras with different focal lengths, but seems that even this did not help much regarding DOF. Hence, meh. Resolution? Yeah, it has it. Use in a pinch? An iPhone 5 can be used in a pinch and is good enough.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-10-2019, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 146
IMO what would normally make the bigger difference nowadays is probably not on the acquisition side but on the consumption side. People who watch stuff on cellphone screens mostly couldn't care less if you shoot that stuff using the iPhone 5 or the Arri Alexa. Meanwhile people like Ken would sure see the difference on his 70+" 4K TV and be able to nitpick everywhere. Yet there are consumer groups who would watch he exact same stuff on smaller screen TVs, desktop computer displays, notebook displays and tablets, all with countless combinations of different native display resolutions and graphic processor capabilities etc.

From all those groups, the groups of people who watch content on cellphone screens are collectively the biggest. And the dominant vertical resolution of the newest cellphones coming out over the past 2-3 years is only 1080p while the horizontal resolutions vary greatly depending on the ever wider aspects to accommodate user handling of the ever larger screens but none in the market currently exceeds 3840 pixels except for a couple or three phones from Sony.

My Asus ROG 2, for example shoots better looking 4K/60p downconverting to 1080/60p in better lighting conditions than the footage from my favorite loan camera, the Canon C100, shooting at 1080/60p. Would the final 1080p videos from both devices stand up to the full scale theatrical projection? I am pretty sure they will not but since all the materials I have produced for my clients or my own viewing have never gone into theaters so they have proved to be adequate so far. YouTube has for a very long time allowed content uploaders to view the statistics of the breakdown on the viewing platforms the audience use to view the videos, among a few other criteria, so it's been easy for me to see how the makeup of the audience of my videos is headed. Bigger screens or smaller screens. In my case it's been overwhelmingly going towards smaller. Not only the sheer size but also the resolution which has been ironically heading down to 1080p or 720p in this age of ever cheaper 4K or higher acquisition devices.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
To me, the major difference is three cameras with different focal lengths, but seems that even this did not help much regarding DOF. Hence, meh. Resolution? Yeah, it has it. Use in a pinch? An iPhone 5 can be used in a pinch and is good enough.
There is no way you’d get the DR with an iPhone 5 that you can with an 11 Pro. Hence meh to your post.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
IMO what would normally make the bigger difference nowadays is probably not on the acquisition side but on the consumption side. People who watch stuff on cellphone screens mostly couldn't care less if you shoot that stuff using the iPhone 5 or the Arri Alexa. Meanwhile people like Ken would sure see the difference on his 70+" 4K TV and be able to nitpick everywhere. Yet there are consumer groups who would watch he exact same stuff on smaller screen TVs, desktop computer displays, notebook displays and tablets, all with countless combinations of different native display resolutions and graphic processor capabilities etc.
The size of the screen does not matter. What matters is eye resolution, which is about one arcminute. One can resolve more on a high-res smartphone held closely than on a 4K TV watched from afar. Ken himself stated that there is negligible difference between 4K and HD image on his TV, and don't forget this is not a static image, so motion blur significantly decreases the resolution.

Ken, yeah I can see good DR, but clearly they shot at the golden hour, and they used filters. Also, DR by itself have never been a problem for CMOS sensors (it is a problem for CCD, especially with small but bright sources, which cause bleeding into a whole column of pixels). What has been a problem is compressing this DR into usable format. 8-bit video even with gamma tricks allows only for 5-6 stops. Maybe up to 8 stops with additional knee adjustment. Thus, to get wider DR new video format was needed, first and foremost more bits, like 10-bit. Does iPhone 11 use 10-bit recording? The S10 can record in 10-bit HDR.

Last edited by Ungermann; 11-10-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page