Testing the PolarPro Variable ND Filter in the Field - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By markr041
  • 1 Post By Ungermann

post #1 of 4 Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Testing the PolarPro Variable ND Filter in the Field

Keeping to the 180-degree rule to maintain good motion is tricky if one also wants to have some control of DOF (set the aperture). Changing ND filters as the sun moves in and out of clouds is a pain.
So, the variable ND filter is a solution for cameras that do not have built-in ND's (most). But variable ND filters get bad raps for impairing image quality (color, artifacts). The new and expensive PolarPro variable ND is supposed to maintain quality. The one I tried out goes from 2-5 stops with a simple ring turn (with markings).

In this video I wanted to keep the lens wide open (at F4) to get a shallower DOF, and sure enough, there was both bright sunshine and cloudy conditions within the couple of hours I was out. So I went between 2-stop and 4-stops on the filter.

Canon EF 24-70 F4 L lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-26-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8262
Mark, I can't tell if there's a color shift that's occurring with this filter because we don't have a reference clip shot without the filter.

For me it's been an ongoing source of frustration because so many of these ND filters, variable or fixed, add color. There's not even a consistency to the color that's added. Some create a considerably cooler WB and others warmer. The AWB rarely compensates for this in any camera I've ever owned. Even with the same manufacturer, there's no consistency. I've also found that price doesn't necessarily guarantee you a color-free filter.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-26-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mark, I can't tell if there's a color shift that's occurring with this filter because we don't have a reference clip shot without the filter.

For me it's been an ongoing source of frustration because so many of these ND filters, variable or fixed, add color. There's not even a consistency to the color that's added. Some create a considerably cooler WB and others warmer. The AWB rarely compensates for this in any camera I've ever owned. Even with the same manufacturer, there's no consistency. I've also found that price doesn't necessarily guarantee you a color-free filter.
Yes, VND's have been troublesome. This guy compared VND's:

My experience was that I did not see any odd color shift, and the video I posted does not seem to have any odd tint (except for one scene that I mucked up the WB in post) and I accomplished what I set out to do with no shortcomings.

I agree a good old comparison - on and off - video is helpful, but I just do not have interest in those kinds of dull video demonstrations. This guy does it for money...
Ken Ross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 122
No fun looking at watering cans. I prefer your New York videos. Just watched the one with a guy in a sweater playing piano, I watched it for the content, but it also looked good.
markr041 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page