Qualcomm's new 865 chipset supports 8K - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan
  • 1 Post By jogiba
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By jogiba
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Qualcomm's new 865 chipset supports 8K

Quote:

The Snapdragon 865 chipset is also a major boost for mobile video. In addition to 8K video capture, the chipset can also handle 4K HDR (HDR10+, HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision), 4K video at 120fps and 4K video capture while simultaneously capturing a burst of five 640-megapixel photos. This makes it the first chipset that captures Dobly Vision video on the fly and in addition to capturing 120fps video, the chipset can also playback 120fps video in realtime when paired with a 120Hz display, such as those found inside the Razer Phone, Razer Phone 2, Sharp Aquos R3 and Asus ROG Phone II smartphones.

Qualcomm has addressed high-speed capture as well. The Snapdragon 865 can capture 720p video at 960fps without limits. 720p video at 960fps is nothing new, as the Sony Xperia XZ and over a dozen of other smartphones from Sony, Samsung, Huawei, Sony and Xiaomi can attest to, but current devices are limited to capturing just a few seconds at a time. When paired with the proper hardware, the Snapdragon 865 chipset will be able to record 960fps video indefinitely; or at least until you run out of storage.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/054162...pture-and-more

Samsung Q900 65" Class HDR 8K UHD QLED TV

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._class_8k.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Continuous 4K/60p in HDR10 or even plain Rec.709 in warmer climate without melting the phone for me would already be a great achievement. Continuous 4K/120p certainly won't hurt but I doubt the practicality of 8K and Dolby Vision recording. How can we do anything with those files in post, not only on our computers let alone on the phones that are used to capture the footage? Maybe it's strictly a you-get-what-you-shoot kind of fancy new tech and not much else you can do after that at least in a practical sense.

And constant recording frame rate, please, after all these years.
jogiba likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-07-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Continuous 4K/60p in HDR10 or even plain Rec.709 in warmer climate without melting the phone for me would already be a great achievement. Continuous 4K/120p certainly won't hurt but I doubt the practicality of 8K and Dolby Vision recording. How can we do anything with those files in post, not only on our computers let alone on the phones that are used to capture the footage? Maybe it's strictly a you-get-what-you-shoot kind of fancy new tech and not much else you can do after that at least in a practical sense.

And constant recording frame rate, please, after all these years.
Constant frame rates would mean lower frame rates. That in turn would be lower video specs. Your 4k60p/120p vfr would turn into 4k30p cfr for example. And when it comes to have the top specs in marketing, it means people buy your competitors phones instead of yours.

Variable frame rates are the cheat that allows cell phones to have what superficially appears to be cutting edge specs.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-22-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The best TV to show your 8K videos on !
Ken Ross likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-24-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
I would contend the quality of this 88” screen is more a function of the characteristics of OLED rather than going from 4K to 8K. Anyone that has a 65” or 77” 4K (or more properly UHD) OLED knows what I mean. You would definitely need something like an 88” screen to begin to see the difference between 4K & 8K (if you could even find the content) and even then you’d probably need to sit closer to the screen than you’d typically sit.

With that said, I do recall watching an 8K YouTube demo on both my 65” & 77” OLED and it was stunning. Of course I wasn’t seeing anything beyond 4K, but I was probably seeing every ounce of quality & resolution a 4K OLED screen could produce. IMO, the quality of this 8K demo, a city flyover, was largely due to the amazing quality of the cameras and the production efforts rather than the 8K resolution.

To my point though, you could only appreciate every bit of detail by moving within inches of the screen. At that distance, the tiniest bits of 4K detail of this 8K demo could be resolved. Obviously an 8K screen would resolve more, but again, you’d have to be very close to the screen.
jogiba likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-27-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ken, I agree, it makes no sense to pay the huge premium for 8K today vs 4K. The 4K Note 3 came out over 6 years ago and 4K TV back then is were 8K TV is today so give it 6 more years for a great deal on a large 8K TV. BTW I have not seen that much better image quality in the new cameras compared to the gear I already have.

Ken Ross likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-27-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Ken, I agree, it makes no sense to pay the huge premium for 8K today vs 4K. The 4K Note 3 came out over 6 years ago and 4K TV back then is were 8K TV is today so give it 6 more years for a great deal on a large 8K TV. BTW I have not seen that much better image quality in the new cameras compared to the gear I already have.
I'd pretty much agree, Joe. Aside from feature differences, it seems the quality of the better cameras hasn't changed much and there's less to differentiate between them. The top picks from Sony, Panasonic, Olympus & Fujifilm are pretty much unchanged from a pure PQ standpoint. Sure you can nitpick about some differences in DR based on chip size, but the more I've used FF vs m4/3, the less I'm impressed with these differences. I don't even see a whole lot of difference in AF now either. Panasonic has refined their contrast-based AF in their newer cameras to a point where it doesn't differ that much from the Sonys I've used.

I think one should factor in the 'fun factor' of using these cameras as much as anything. IMO there's more of a difference in that fun factor than in some of the picture attributes we knock our heads against the wall to see. It's kind of like the 4K vs 8K argument. If display A has a much higher resolution than display B, what difference does that make if most people can't see it or you must have a gigantic display and need to sit uncomfortably close to appreciate it...assuming you even have the content to feed it.
jogiba likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page