Panasonic HC-X2000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 2 Post By bsprague
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By jogiba
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By bsprague
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By bsprague
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Panasonic HC-X2000

Haven't posted here for a really long time. This looks like a reasonable excuse!

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consume...hc-x2000e.html
jogiba and Ken Ross like this.
bsprague is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
Welcome back, Bill! You were missed.

There's actually a trio of camcorders that's being released by Panasonic. The cheapest is just under $1,700 and all should have essentially the same PQ. Here's the trio:

HC-X1500: $1,697.99
HC-X2000: $2,197.99
AG-CX10: $2,795.00
jogiba likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,606
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Panasonic HC-X1500 UHD 4K HDMI Pro Camcorder with 24x Zoom

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._hd.html/specs


Ken Ross likes this.
jogiba is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
It's also nice to see some manufacturers not letting the camcorder concept die and actually progress.
jogiba likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Welcome back, Bill! You were missed.
Thanks for saying that.

I do lurk, but once one's camara is about a week old, there's not much to post here. My newest one is a Samsung S9. I really don't like the cell phone form factor so have to force myself to use it.

I sincerely miss using my SDT-750 Panasonic camcorder from the TM900 era. I still have it. It still works. But 1080p is just what? Weak?

Then there are all the other temptations like drones and spending camera money on going places like Iceland.

Still, a new camcorder just might "wind my watch".

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Panasonic HC-X1500 UHD 4K HDMI Pro Camcorder with 24x Zoom
Gotta have the handle and mic Joe!
bsprague is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Thanks for saying that.

I do lurk, but once one's camara is about a week old, there's not much to post here. My newest one is a Samsung S9. I really don't like the cell phone form factor so have to force myself to use it.

I sincerely miss using my SDT-750 Panasonic camcorder from the TM900 era. I still have it. It still works. But 1080p is just what? Weak?

Then there are all the other temptations like drones and spending camera money on going places like Iceland.

Still, a new camcorder just might "wind my watch".

Bill
Speaking of Iceland, here ya go in HLG:

jogiba likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,606
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Gotta have the handle and mic Joe!
$299.99 option :


https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ndle_unit.html
jogiba is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Speaking of Iceland, here ya go in HLG:
I mentioned Iceland for two reasons. One was that, while lurking, I spotted your video AND watched it. We were there about two years ago and I've not put the video together. I do have some favorite stills from the trip.

HLG? What's that? I wonder if my two year old Samsung TV can do that? I watched on my laptop and don't think it had an HLG driver in play.

Bill

Last edited by bsprague; 01-06-2020 at 03:48 PM.
bsprague is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
$299.99 option :
Joe,

The 1500 is $1700. Add the $300 handle and you get $2000. The 2000 looks like a 1500 plus the handle but is $2200. Maybe you get a $200 mic?

Bill
Jeff Memmer likes this.
bsprague is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jogiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,606
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Bill, I don't think I will be getting any new camera gear this year since the gear I have is all I need. I started using the free Strava bike app on October 20, 2017 and have rode 13,677 miles or about 6,500+ miles a year and shoot mostly with my iPhone Xr or carry my Nikon P1000 with 125x zoom. Here is a photo from a few days ago :
jogiba is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P&Struefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Joe,

The 1500 is $1700. Add the $300 handle and you get $2000. The 2000 looks like a 1500 plus the handle but is $2200. Maybe you get a $200 mic?

Bill
Looking solely at the specs, the thing that got my attention was the similarity between the sensor in these new Panasonic camcorders and the the sensor inside the 3-year-old Sony FDR-AX53/55 palm-sized camcorder. If I have to venture to guess I would say these "new" Panasonic cams have also adopted that Sony's native 16:9 aspect sensor like their own consumer line that came out a year or two ago, which also use the same Sony sensor that bad been used exclusive by Sony on their flagship small sensor camcorder a year previously.

At any rate 4K/60 doesn't sound cutting edged anymore. Even Sony themselves don't seem to be rushing the A7SIII because of it. By the time all this camcorder sensor recycling round is finished, cellphone sensors would likely go beyond 108M-pixel count with up to 9:1 pixel downsampling for the kind of light sensitivity and detail capture the conventional 1:1 sensor design, no matter how big its photosites, could only dream of.

You'd be better off saving your money and buying a fine bycicle to enjoy life like Joe did and passing over all these lame stuff.
Geani66 likes this.
P&Struefan is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
I mentioned Iceland for two reasons. One was that, while lurking, I spotted your video AND watched it. We were there about two years ago and I've not put the video together. I do have some favorite stills from the trip.

HLG? What's that? I wonder if my two year old Samsung TV can do that? I watched on my laptop and don't think it had an HLG driver in play.

Bill
HLG (hybrid log gamma) is a form of HDR that is offered in some 4K cameras. It’s becoming more popular as time goes on and thus appearing in more and more cameras. Sony’s 8bit implementation is scoffed at by some since it doesn’t meet the true, 10bit, definition of HLG. The bottom line is it does provide an HDR experience. My issue with Sony’s implementation is that it alters the color relative to the same camera’s SDR color character (I get weary of the overused ‘color science’ term).

Most newer TVs can play HLG properly. If yours doesn’t, you won’t see an HLG/HDR indicator on your display. Further, the video may appear somewhat drab and low in contrast.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Bill, I don't think I will be getting any new camera gear this year since the gear I have is all I need. I started using the free Strava bike app on October 20, 2017 and have rode 13,677 miles or about 6,500+ miles a year and shoot mostly with my iPhone Xr or carry my Nikon P1000 with 125x zoom. Here is a photo from a few days ago :
Joe, with all that biking, your legs must be the size of tree trunks.
jogiba likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Looking solely at the specs, the thing that got my attention was the similarity between the sensor in these new Panasonic camcorders and the the sensor inside the 3-year-old Sony FDR-AX53/55 palm-sized camcorder. If I have to venture to guess I would say these "new" Panasonic cams have also adopted that Sony's native 16:9 aspect sensor like their own consumer line that came out a year or two ago, which also use the same Sony sensor that bad been used exclusive by Sony on their flagship small sensor camcorder a year previously.

At any rate 4K/60 doesn't sound cutting edged anymore. Even Sony themselves don't seem to be rushing the A7SIII because of it. By the time all this camcorder sensor recycling round is finished, cellphone sensors would likely go beyond 108M-pixel count with up to 9:1 pixel downsampling for the kind of light sensitivity and detail capture the conventional 1:1 sensor design, no matter how big its photosites, could only dream of.

You'd be better off saving your money and buying a fine bycicle to enjoy life like Joe did and passing over all these lame stuff.
‘Lame stuff’ is in the eyes of the beholder. Whether 4K60p doesn’t sound cutting edge or not, some of us value it and Sony, amazingly, still doesn’t offer it. Shame. Further, I don’t believe we’ll be seeing 24x optical zoom on cellphones anytime soon and the ergonomics of a cellphone for video will always be a deterrent to most who take video shooting seriously.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
"Whether 4K60p doesn’t sound cutting edge or not, some of us value it.... "

4K 60p, 24x in a camcorder body does appeal to me. I'll assume the color and stabilization are at least "pretty good".

This forum is clearly about gear. Marriage is certainly beyond the intended scope, but here's the deal. My wonderful wife of 51 years just got a $3000 sewing machine, we sold our condo leaving some cash resting in the bank, our retirement plan just bumped in with a raise and my 74th birthday is in July. High on my list is an electric bike, a new mirrorless camera body, a drone or a camcorder (like this one).

Electric bike: We just moved to a "retirement resort" with lots of bike trails and placed to go. (Joe, which one?)

Camera Body: I have a Panasonic GX8 and want the improved G9. (I have Panasonic M4/3 lenses I like.)

Drone: What can I say other than I spent my career as a pilot and everyone should have a drone.

Camcorder: The most fun I've had photographically is shooting crappy home video with my Panasonic SDT-750.

I have about four months before I need to be leaving brochures laying around. Life is sweet.
markr041 likes this.
bsprague is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
Bill, I can attest to the quality of the Panasonic G9. I'm sure you'd be very happy with its quality.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 4,329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Bill, I can attest to the quality of the Panasonic G9. I'm sure you'd be very happy with its quality.
Thanks Ken. The GX8 isn't very bad. But there are irritating improvements in auto focus, stabilization, shutter, etc that are hard to ignore. Truth is that I am not equipment limited. Other deficiencies are more relevant!
bsprague is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 01-12-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 123
This is the format I have always liked. I owned the JVC HM100 (crappy stabilizer, bad low light), Sony V1U (tape, no built-in mic), Panasonic AG-HMC40 (overall a very decent machine, despite its consumer origins). This looks like a great camera. But nowhere in the specs or in promo video do they say what the sensor size is. Hmm.

EDIT: Found it: 1/2.5 inch. I guess, Panasonic had to step down from 1" to offer 24x zoom.

Last edited by Ungermann; 01-12-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Ungermann is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 01-13-2020, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
flintyplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: yeovil somerset
Posts: 1,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 104
What i can never understand is how bridge cameras with the same size sensors have far longer reach than Camcorders like this,1600 2000 even 3000mm optical reach.
flintyplus is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Cloudstrewn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
https://translate.google.com/transla...w.slashcam.de/

HC-X2000 detail in 4K looks quite poor - typical for 'tiny' sensor like this.



Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
What i can never understand is how bridge cameras with the same size sensors have far longer reach than Camcorders like this,1600 2000 even 3000mm optical reach.
My experience with the two types is that bridges have clunky zoom and stabilization more suited to stills photography. They go the extra mile with camcorders to make these features smooth.
Cloudstrewn is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 01-13-2020, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
https://translate.google.com/transla...w.slashcam.de/

HC-X2000 detail in 4K looks quite poor - typical for 'tiny' sensor like this.
The FullHD test looks nice. So, it is actually an HD cam. Not bad, considering 4:2:2 10-bit option.
Ungermann is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 04-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HC-X1500 vs HC-X2000 price

[quote=jogiba;59057836]$299.99 option :




Isn't it a bit strange that the HC-X1500 is $1,697.99 and the HC-X2000 is $2,197.99, which is a $500.00 difference for something listed as only being $299? Unless I'm missing something?
Jeff Memmer is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 04-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Joe,

The 1500 is $1700. Add the $300 handle and you get $2000. The 2000 looks like a 1500 plus the handle but is $2200. Maybe you get a $200 mic?

Bill
I noticed this too.
Jeff Memmer is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 04-07-2020, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,347
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7457 Post(s)
Liked: 8341
[quote=Jeff Memmer;59463616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
$299.99 option :




Isn't it a bit strange that the HC-X1500 is $1,697.99 and the HC-X2000 is $2,197.99, which is a $500.00 difference for something listed as only being $299? Unless I'm missing something?
The HC-X2000 also has an SDI port on the body, not the handle, that is lacking on the 1500. It is more ‘broadcast friendly’. That’s the reason for the price difference.

Unfortunately both units share the same small, abysmal (in this day & age), low resolution EVF. It’s inexcusable that such an outdated EVF was used in these camcorders.
jogiba likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Camcorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off