Z CAM E2 firmware 0.94 - Low Jello Mode - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2020, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Z CAM E2 firmware 0.94 - Low Jello Mode

I've tested this new mode at C4K/30p (it works also at 60p but not C4K/120p) where it speeds the sensor scan by about 30%, to 8.5 milliseconds - very fast by current rolling shutter standards (though 4K/150p actually achieves 6.7 milliseconds).

I think this is all it does to reduce jello, and can't detect any further 'de-wobbling'.

4Kshooters.net claims the Low Jello mode causes a slight crop, but certainly at C4K/30p there is no crop whatsoever. However there is a distinct increase in noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2020, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Wish to see this feature in other cameras. Not only do wobbles affect EIS system, they are one of the worst, if not the worst, impediments to getting useable footage from telephoto filming, not just action shots. They are also one of the most visible giveaways in video the audience sees that scream "amateur shooting". Normally the higher the frame rate, the less of the problem so if your camera is capable of 60p or above, it is often easier to manage. This is one aspect that makes me appreciate the dying CCD technology in our old cameras over a decade ago, if nothing else.
Cloudstrewn likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Struefan View Post
Not only do wobbles affect EIS system, they are one of the worst, if not the worst, impediments to getting useable footage from telephoto filming, not just action shots.
It's been the bane of my video life. Thankfully we're now seeing manageable rolling shutter rates, and even the sniff of global shutters in other than oddball cameras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudstrewn View Post
It's been the bane of my video life. Thankfully we're now seeing manageable rolling shutter rates, and even the sniff of global shutters in other than oddball cameras.
Actually, the situation is getting worse: the rolling shutter in full-frame cameras in full-frame, the current fad, is much worse than in APS-C cameras or from the same cameras in APS-C mode. Also higher in 4K than in 1080 on many cameras. See the RS list: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-on-this-issue!

Thus, there are still trade-offs:

1. Bigger sensor, longer scan.

2. For the same sensor, but a faster scan (same electronics) -> more noise. And the E2 noise when the scan is fast (either in low RS mode or using the VFR frame rates of 120 or 160P) is VERY noisy (not subtle).
post #5 of 5 Old 01-30-2020, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
the rolling shutter in full-frame cameras in full-frame, the current fad, is much worse than in APS-C cameras or from the same cameras in APS-C mode.
Thankfully not a fad I've followed - all my cameras have been micro4/3 or smaller (except a7s and as7ii specifically for low light) - convenient for long lenses and rolling shutter benefits. My micro4/3 in chronological order together with their approx. rolling shutter periods (at 30p) are: GH4 - 22ms, GH5 - 15ms, GH5S - 11.5ms, Z CAM E2/Low Jello - 8.5ms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page