100p - is this the frame rate ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
100p - is this the frame rate ?

Hi all,

Tried to already post this, so apologies if it shows twice.

Getting really confused. I have a camcorder (Sony FDR-AX700) and have just returned from hols. All my footage looks a bit odd. It is juddery, it freezes in a few places, and almost looks like its too quick.

I think it may be to do with the settings. I was messing about with them, and the Rec format is currently set at:

XAVC S HD / 1080/100p 100Mbps

Can anyone advise if this could be causing the issues, and if so, what I should be shooting at for normal use.

i thought the 100p was the frame rate, but after checking online im not sure. Also, there is a setting in the camera which lets you change the fps (frame rate) but when it does, the p-part is not identical (i.e. can change to 25fps but have the other settings at 1080/50p/50Mbps.

Any advice very greatly received.

I am using premier pro if that helps (i.e to rectify the issues).

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hardiman View Post
Hi all,

Getting really confused. I have a camcorder (Sony FDR-AX700) and have just returned from hols. All my footage looks a bit odd. It is juddery, it freezes in a few places, and almost looks like its too quick.

I think it may be to do with the settings. I was messing about with them, and the Rec format is currently set at:

Can anyone advise if this could be causing the issues, and if so, what I should be shooting at for normal use.

i thought the 100p was the frame rate, but after checking online im not sure. Also, there is a setting in the camera which lets you change the fps (frame rate) but when it does, the p-part is not identical (i.e. can change to 25fps but have the other settings at 1080/50p/50Mbps.

Thanks,
Richard
1. Yes, 100p is a frame rate = 100 fps.

2. Yes, that could be the reason your computer and the software you are using are having trouble.

3. Try playing the clips from the original sd card in the camera (playback). The clips should play smoothly. They might also play smoothly if you use some other software player (not an editor), just to see.

4. No, it is not "normal' to shoot at that frame rate. Usually people in your country will choose 25p.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Usually people in your country will choose 25p.
I would say that usually they will choose 50p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hardiman View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Richard
That frame rate is used for slow motion video, but it comes at an image quality cost due to the amount of data being processed. Unless you specifically want slow motion video, you should shoot at the normal refresh rate of your viewing device, which in your case I am guessing is 50p for FHD (4K on that camera probably caps at 25p).
post #5 of 5 Old 01-30-2020, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks very much all.

I think my original settings were 50p and that was fine, so that makes sense.

I will also view the footage back through the camera (thanks for that advice) as it would then eliminate the possibility that it might be a corrupted SD card etc.

It will be a shame but I think all the holiday footage was shot on this setting (100p). Premiere Pro may be able to sort it so will experiment.

Thanks again for all your advice, much appreciated.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Tags
100p , 1080p , bit-rate , frame rate , xavc s hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page