Bush Gardens Tampa-Panasonic G9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7417 Post(s)
Liked: 8310
Bush Gardens Tampa-Panasonic G9

This was a visit to Bush Gardens in Tampa. Here you'll see a cheetah racing at 65mph, lions, tigers, kangaroos, exotic birds and other animals. What makes this park different from many zoos, are the 'enclosures' or lack thereof. Rather than a fenced in cage, animals largely roam about, isolated from humans by moats. It makes for some nice videography & photography.

CAF using animal detection was used 90% of the time. In a few clips MF was used.

jogiba likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Chris had alerted me to the fact that he wasn’t able to view this on his TV, although he was able to see it on his computer. I checked and noticed I inadvertently had set the last two videos to unlisted. I have since set them both to ‘public’.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 104
[QUOTE=Ken Ross;59229714]Chris had alerted me to the fact that he wasn’t able to view this on his TV, although he was able to see it on his computer. I checked and noticed I inadvertently had set the last two videos to unlisted. I have since set them both to ‘public’.[/QUOTE

Yes its top notch Ken,the male lion looked like it had bullet wounds in the head but probobly growths removed,the Elton John impersonator is not up to the standard of the real thing by a fair bit though , i am not sure what the GH5 has that the G9 does not but its not things i use for sure but it would not be worth me changing it for the sake of it,the G9 is realy good though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Yes its top notch Ken,the male lion looked like it had bullet wounds in the head but probobly growths removed,the Elton John impersonator is not up to the standard of the real thing by a fair bit though , i am not sure what the GH5 has that the G9 does not but its not things i use for sure but it would not be worth me changing it for the sake of it,the G9 is realy good though.
Thanks, Chris. I agree, the PQ of the G9 is really top notch. The colors are extremely accurate without any need for tweaking in post.

Like you, I feel the few added features of the GH5 don't hold any significant interest for me. However the improved AF of the G9 relative to the GH5 does.

We too were trying to figure out what the issue was with the lion’s head, but we assumed they were growths that had been removed. I agree about the Elton John impersonator, but I included that clip more to show the G9’s capability in a relatively low lit environment.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 257
PQ, color and focus are indeed all there! Are you having to throw away many clips? Or is the camera really doing that well?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
PQ, color and focus are indeed all there! Are you having to throw away many clips? Or is the camera really doing that well?
Thanks, Bill. I had very few clips that I had to discard because of poor focus behavior. I’d say the hit rate for focus was close to 95% overall. Overall PQ (sans the occasional misfocus) & color were 100%. I never had to discard a clip because of color or other PQ issues not related to focus. Unlike previous Panasonic Mirrorless cameras I’ve owned, I was able to have some success with birds in flight in the Wetlands video. For that type of clip there was actually little difference between my A7iii and G9. I found that surprising. Videoing birds in flight is not easy with any AF system.

The majority of clips that did have CAF issues were the result of animals walking behind trees, shrubbery or some intervening object where the animal AF apparently got confused. I also had that occur in shots I tried shooting from a cable car. There the tops of trees would suddenly partially obscure an animal as I pointed the camera down to the ground. I’m not sure any camera could have achieved a high hit rate under those conditions. But even in those cases it was often not an entire clip that was discarded, but only partial clips. So I’d still had a usable clip, only shorter than the original. There were also a couple of misfocused clips that you couldn’t explain, but those were very rare. I also had a couple of misfocuses shooting through dirty glass and a couple using MF. In the MF cases I can only assume I wasn’t reading the peaking indicators correctly.

Bill, I should also mention that just like my Sony A7iii, I also used AF lock in addition to CAF. When you know your subject is remaining a set distance from the camera or moving laterally, I gravitate toward AF lock. I’ve been doing that for years with all my cameras and that’s resulted in an extremely high hit rate. Of course when I can’t predict movement, CAF is the choice and that’s where Panasonic has made strides in the G9. Perfect, no, much improved, yes.

If I was a sports videographer and color was less important to me, I’d still prefer Sony’s PDAF, but the G9 is really quite good. But I don’t shoot sports and overall PQ & color are more important to me. I’ve said it before, but even my Sony would occasionally give me odd misfocus issues, but in a different way than the G9. With the Sony I could have a face filling up 2/3rds of the frame and even with PDAF, it would still occasionally focus on the background. I actually get less of that with the G9.

Knowing the camera and its AF strengths & weaknesses, you can get excellent results with most new cameras.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Thanks, Bill. I had very few clips that I had to discard because of poor focus behavior. I’d say the hit rate for focus was close to 95% overall. Overall PQ (sans the occasional misfocus) & color were 100%. I never had to discard a clip because of color or other PQ issues not related to focus. Unlike previous Panasonic Mirrorless cameras I’ve owned, I was able to have some success with birds in flight in the Wetlands video. For that type of clip there was actually little difference between my A7iii and G9. I found that surprising. Videoing birds in flight is not easy with any AF system.

The majority of clips that did have CAF issues were the result of animals walking behind trees, shrubbery or some intervening object where the animal AF apparently got confused. I also had that occur in shots I tried shooting from a cable car. There the tops of trees would suddenly partially obscure an animal as I pointed the camera down to the ground. I’m not sure any camera could have achieved a high hit rate under those conditions. But even in those cases it was often not an entire clip that was discarded, but only partial clips. So I’d still had a usable clip, only shorter than the original. There were also a couple of misfocused clips that you couldn’t explain, but those were very rare. I also had a couple of misfocuses shooting through dirty glass and a couple using MF. In the MF cases I can only assume I wasn’t reading the peaking indicators correctly.

Bill, I should also mention that just like my Sony A7iii, I also used AF lock in addition to CAF. When you know your subject is remaining a set distance from the camera or moving laterally, I gravitate toward AF lock. I’ve been doing that for years with all my cameras and that’s resulted in an extremely high hit rate. Of course when I can’t predict movement, CAF is the choice and that’s where Panasonic has made strides in the G9. Perfect, no, much improved, yes.

If I was a sports videographer and color was less important to me, I’d still prefer Sony’s PDAF, but the G9 is really quite good. But I don’t shoot sports and overall PQ & color are more important to me. I’ve said it before, but even my Sony would occasionally give me odd misfocus issues, but in a different way than the G9. With the Sony I could have a face filling up 2/3rds of the frame and even with PDAF, it would still occasionally focus on the background. I actually get less of that with the G9.

Knowing the camera and its AF strengths & weaknesses, you can get excellent results with most new cameras.
Thank you Ken. Your comments here many moons ago lead me to be a user of AF lock!

Improved AF alone is enough for me! We have some fun road trips and an Alaska cruise ahead this summer. I deserve the better AF and better 4K stabilization than the GX8 provides.

I'm intrigued by your comment that the G9 focuses better than the GH5. Could that mean a GH6 is on the calendar?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

You're welcome, Bill.

I'm sure the GH6 will have the improved AF. I know that even the GH5 has implemented AF improvements since I sold mine. BTW, we took that Alaska cruise several years ago and it's still the best trip we've ever taken. You'll absolutely love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page