DJI Introduces Mavic Air 2 Drone - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By P&Struefan
  • 1 Post By Mudslide
  • 1 Post By Kriilin
  • 1 Post By Mudslide
  • 1 Post By SirMaster
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By imagic

post #1 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9555 Post(s)
Liked: 16966
DJI Introduces Mavic Air 2 Drone

Camera drones are an exciting way to create your own compelling videos of landscapes, cityscapes and more. DJI is the king of consumer camera drones and the Mavic Air is one of its most popular models. Now DJI has announced the Mavic Air 2, a drone with impressive specs for its size with 34-minute flight time and a 48 megapixel camera on board that can shoot 4K/60p video.

The Mavic Air 2 offers a compelling and powerful camera system. The 1/2 inch sensor provides 48 megapixels of resolution, allowing the Mavic AIr 2 to shoot 8K hyperlapse footage. It supports HDR for photo, video as well as panorama shooting.

Cinematographers will surely be interested in this drone’s ability to shoot 4K/60p video. And thanks to the 48 megapixel sensor, the 8K hyperlapse footage promises to provide a spectacular option for showing off the detail today’s latest TVs can reproduce.

A camera drone is no good unless it’s flying. The 34 minute maximum flight time ensures this drone will stay in the air long enough to get the key shot. Furthermore, the remote control battery lasts for four hours. Plus, the Mavic Air 2 Plus offers DJI OcuSync 2.0 radio transmission that delivers 1080/30p live video at distances up to 10 km.

All this capability is packed into a remarkably compact drone that folds up to easily fit inside a small bag.

BUY NOW

-----------------

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-28-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 183
post #3 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post
Cool. Where can I fly it legally?
The law varies by country. I see you are in the U.S. There are a lot of places you can fly legally as long as you read up on the rules. A lot of city sand state parks, for example.

In some ways it's easier to list how and where you cannot fly. You can't fly in national parks, you can't fly over people, you can't fly over traffic, you can't fly near airports or near sporting events and you can't fly at night. You can also can't fly at altitudes above 400 feet.

But that still leaves plenty that you can do.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Perverts of AVSF and the world rejoice! Your peeping tom day has arrived!

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #5 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Nice piece of hardware until I saw the price. Ouch. One failure or accident and it's gone.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Great specs, and I am quite sure it flies well as most DJI drones do. First quadpixel cellphone sensor in a major brand drone too I believe. Should be a good option for the new normal of distancing videography. True, the $800 price is on the high side but nothing that flies today has what this drone does.
imagic likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-28-2020, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 230
And, essentially, DJI owns the quad after you buy it. It's like you're renting it. You will not be allowed to fly it in certain designated areas...DJI will not allow you to start the craft. Hard as you might otherwise try...they control the start up of the motors.

And, well, DJI is a Chinese owned company. Essentially they have available every video or still the cameras record. That, in fact, may be one reason DJI GAVE free quads to the police and other official government agencies all around the U.S.

Not a fan.
Kriilin likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-29-2020, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7459 Post(s)
Liked: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
And, essentially, DJI owns the quad after you buy it. It's like you're renting it. You will not be allowed to fly it in certain designated areas...DJI will not allow you to start the craft. Hard as you might otherwise try...they control the start up of the motors.

And, well, DJI is a Chinese owned company. Essentially they have available every video or still the cameras record. That, in fact, may be one reason DJI GAVE free quads to the police and other official government agencies all around the U.S.

Not a fan.
None of this would surprise me.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-29-2020, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:

Not a fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
None of this would surprise me.
Skydio 2 looks like the drone to get if you don't want to deal with all the DJI stuff. It's also radically better at obstacle avoidance than anything else out there I'm aware of. And it does 4K/60p.... probably my next drone.

But... DJI's consumer camera drone offerings are unparalleled in breadth. Mavic Air 2 looks like a drone I'd want to have, very compact and the long flight time is super appealing. Just gotta decide if you are willing to play by their rules. I've had no actual issues flying my Mavic Air.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-29-2020 at 05:17 AM.
post #10 of 30 Old 04-29-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Skydio 2 looks like the drone to get if you don't want to deal with all the DJI stuff. It's also radically better at obstacle avoidance than anything else out there I'm aware of. And it does 4K/60p.... probably my next drone.

But... DJI's consumer camera drone offerings are unparalleled in breadth. Mavic Air 2 looks like a drone I'd want to have, very compact and the long flight time is super appealing. Just gotta decide if you are willing to play by their rules. I've had no actual issues flying my Mavic Air.

Thanks for the tip on the Skydio, Mark. I'll check it out.

There is no doubt that, currently, DJI makes quite good drones. That said, they have a very poor record of product support. On the earlier Phantom series drones, there were great numbers of fly-aways. It was obviously a product wide mechanical failure. DJI would not honor the product, claiming the thousands of fly-aways were pilot errors. Later in the series, DJI put out a drone killing firmware update. Most Phantom 2's were blinded by the update as the wifi modules overheated or simply burned out. Again, DJI would not honor warranties or own their mistake. (Sound familiar?) In case one, we all had an expensive lump of plastic trash on our hands and frustrated pilots. In case two, we had expensive lumps of plastic trash on our hands that could be repaired (by the owners) at great expense.

DJI is not for me. And the company has a long list of folks that feel as I do. And the data security issue better be worrying the powers that be. Lastly, but not inconsequentially,....let's bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

MARGARITAS,
post #11 of 30 Old 04-29-2020, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Not a fan.
Agree, will avoid as much as I can from China, guaranteed to have ties to the CCP. Taiwan, no problem. At least I know they don't make stuff in internment camps.
Mudslide likes this.

I see dead pixels.......
post #12 of 30 Old 04-30-2020, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I still use my Mavic 1 and have never upgraded the firmware. DJI has made it where they pretty much let you buy a drone THEY control. So many areas you aren’t allowed to fly and they have blocked. So many restrictions on these things now.

I refuse to upgrade or buy new, my Mavic is perfect and never had issues flying anywhere.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #13 of 30 Old 04-30-2020, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Still got my first gen Mavic with the exception I managed to mess it up a little in sports mode not paying attention to a tree line while trying to film some dirt bike footage. Must say I'm really impressed with the specs on the Air 2. I had little expectation and thought it would still set a few pegs below the full sized Mavic but the specs are pretty astounding with range increase and camera performance.

Fortunately I have little of now hassle flying here. I don't live over any built up area but mind you I've seen Mavics flying in built up areas too here. Sounds like the US is just about a total waste of time for DJI ownership. Probably limits the demand a bit in the US in that case I would hazard a guess.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-30-2020, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post
I still use my Mavic 1 and have never upgraded the firmware. DJI has made it where they pretty much let you buy a drone THEY control. So many areas you aren’t allowed to fly and they have blocked. So many restrictions on these things now.

I refuse to upgrade or buy new, my Mavic is perfect and never had issues flying anywhere.
All you have to do is notify them that you are flying in that area and they unlock the restriction for a couple days. It's super quick and easy.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock
post #15 of 30 Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
All you have to do is notify them that you are flying in that area and they unlock the restriction for a couple days. It's super quick and easy.

The other thing to do is to dump the DJI Go software for flying your Mavic and go to a third party app like Litchi : https://dronerush.com/dji-go-4-app-a...o-spark-10251/
post #16 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This can take weeks in some cases to get approval. But the point here is THAT THEY CAN CONTROL YOUR CRAFT. It's at their whim.

I would also like to note that the U.S. Army and Homeland Security have banned the use of DJI drones. They see it for what it potentially is...a security Trojan Horse. One has to wonder why does the CCP owned DJI give away, as in free, their drones to all the U.S. first responders?
Ken Ross likes this.

MARGARITAS,

Last edited by Mudslide; 05-05-2020 at 07:56 AM.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This can take weeks in some cases to get approval. But the point here is THAT THEY CAN CONTROL YOUR CRAFT. It's at their whim.

I would also like to note that the U.S. Army and Homeland Security have banned the use of DJI drones. They see it for what it potentially is...a security Trojan Horse. One has to wonder why does the CCP owned DJI give away, as in free, their drones to all the U.S. first responders?
Uhhh. I fly my fully updated Mavic Pro 1 all the time and when I submit a self-unlock it gets approved in minutes... I have never had to wait longer than minutes. It's an automatic process. I have no idea what this weeks you are talking about. And the unlock lasts cor a couple days for that area.
post #18 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Uhhh. I fly my fully updated Mavic Pro 1 all the time and when I submit a self-unlock it gets approved in minutes... I have never had to wait longer than minutes. It's an automatic process. I have no idea what this weeks you are talking about. And the unlock lasts cor a couple days for that area.

Ask those who fly drones for a living...those who have site permission (say over a stadium or near an airport), but the Chinese must 'verify' site approval before giving arming approval.

MARGARITAS,
post #19 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ask those who fly drones for a living...those who have site permission (say over a stadium or near an airport), but the Chinese must 'verify' site approval before giving arming approval.
I fly all the time near an airport. That's why I must submit for the unlock. But the unlock happens in minutes automatically....

I fly all the time in the blue circle and brown rectangles after a few minute automated GEO unlock.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Last edited by SirMaster; 05-05-2020 at 01:22 PM.
post #20 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I fly all the time near an airport. That's why I must submit for the unlock. But the unlock happens in minutes automatically....

I fly all the time in the blue circle and brown rectangles after a few minute automated GEO unlock.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Ask yourself...why even have the restricted zones (those requiring authorization) if they're automatically...unrestricted.
And the point remains, these are potentially serious security issues.

MARGARITAS,
post #21 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ask yourself...why even have the restricted zones (those requiring authorization) if they're automatically...unrestricted.
Because it notifies the air traffic control at the airport that you are operating a drone nearby and tells them when your planned flight times are.

Becasue if there is an incident, they have data to track down what happened.

I have contacted airports before to let them know I am flying nearby. They have always been cool about it and never had a problem. They were grateful that I notified them of my flight window and approximate flight plan.

Honestly the reason that you hear about people hating drones etc is because of those people who DON'T follow the simple rules. They ruin it for the rest of us who do follow all the rules and protocols properly.
imagic likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 05-05-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Because it notifies the air traffic control at the airport that you are operating a drone nearby and tells them when your planned flight times are.

Becasue if there is an incident, they have data to track down what happened.

I have contacted airports before to let them know I am flying nearby. They have always been cool about it and never had a problem. They were grateful that I notified them of my flight window and approximate flight plan.

Honestly the reason that you hear about people hating drones etc is because of those people who DON'T follow the simple rules. They ruin it for the rest of us who do follow all the rules and protocols properly.

Please don't generalize like that. It's silly. I fly drones and run videos (including DJI in the past!). I follow all the rules. I love quads. And I detest DJI for multiple reasons...most of which have been delineated in my posts above.

You're welcome to fly all the DJI products you wish. It's a free country...or used to be before Governors started becoming little dictators during this pandemic. But continued support of the Chinese CCP is not for me...and I would argue shouldn't be for you.

MARGARITAS,
post #23 of 30 Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

I sold my Mavic Air yesterday, placed an order for the Mavic Air 2 today. Geopolitics notwithstanding, I don't see any other drone offering this kind of camera quality in this compact a package with this kind of flight time. I'll find other ways to reduce my reliance on Chinese merchandise. I see this is a must-have for aerial drone photographers needing an ultra-compact solution.

I also picked up the Mavic Mini. I wish there was a "true" US alternative. Anyhow, nothing I photograph is going to be of any use to any Chinese spy agencies or anything with that. And it is absolutely worth remembering that wherever something was made, buying it from an American store is putting money into the American economy. Even if it's a corporation like Best Buy or Amazon.
OzHDHT likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-19-2020 at 05:08 PM.
post #24 of 30 Old 05-27-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
I sold my Mavic Air yesterday, placed an order for the Mavic Air 2 today. Geopolitics notwithstanding, I don't see any other drone offering this kind of camera quality in this compact a package with this kind of flight time. I'll find other ways to reduce my reliance on Chinese merchandise. I see this is a must-have for aerial drone photographers needing an ultra-compact solution.

I also picked up the Mavic Mini. I wish there was a "true" US alternative. Anyhow, nothing I photograph is going to be of any use to any Chinese spy agencies or anything with that. And it is absolutely worth remembering that wherever something was made, buying it from an American store is putting money into the American economy. Even if it's a corporation like Best Buy or Amazon.
Skydio 2 not shipping due to Covid19. Is the Mavic Air 2 video of higher quality?

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #25 of 30 Old 05-27-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Skydio 2 not shipping due to Covid19. Is the Mavic Air 2 video of higher quality?
The two drones have very similar camera specs, I don't know which drone is better for video but after a couple flights I can report I am thrilled with the Mavic Air's camera. With its smooth flight, it's a very "cinematic" camera drone.
Tom Roper likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-27-2020 at 11:54 AM.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-27-2020, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocab View Post
Cool. Where can I fly it legally?
100 miles from the nearest structure.
post #27 of 30 Old 05-27-2020, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
And the point remains, these are potentially serious security issues.
The reason is not because you can't fly there, but if there is an incident then authorities have a record of who was flying there.

DJI is not implementing these things because they want to, it is because they have been ordered to by the US government. If they don't implement it, they won't be able to sell their products in the US. It is not the CCP that is keeping tabs on you, it is your own government, lol.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-27-2020, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Two ways to look at that. I could regard it as a feature because I don’t want to interfere with the airspace, DJI has the off limits areas mapped, and it could be an aid to not flying illegally. I live near an air force base, I’ve been hassled by base security already for just pointing my tripod at the runway, so it can happen without a drone even being the offender.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #29 of 30 Old 06-14-2020, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

SDR 4K/60P from the Mavic Air 2. This is Graffiti Pier in Philadelphia. Shot with obstacle sensors disabled, tripod mode.

OzHDHT and markr041 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #30 of 30 Old 06-14-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
SDR 4K/60P from the Mavic Air 2. This is Graffiti Pier in Philadelphia. Shot with obstacle sensors disabled, tripod mode.

https://youtu.be/EsJM4c_ewYA
This is excellent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Tags
4k drone , drone , mavic air 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page