I need help with Sony HDR-HC3...!!!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got it two days ago. I shot some videos in HD and when I tried to connect it to the computer, it could not find the appropriate drivers and Sony didn't provide a drivers cd. After a bit of searching around here, I learned that it needs to be manually installed, but I couldn't find the drivers "Sony D-VHS device"....can someone post a copy of that drivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,

You don't need any 'drivers' from Sony. However, you do need to be running Windows XP SP2 with current updates. Please, no excuses that "SP2 sucks" or any other crap. No SP2, go install it. No XP, forget it, this is 2006 not 2000.

* Put camera in "PLAYBACK" mode
* Insert 1394
* Wait for windows to auto-detect D-VHS and install drivers.

At this point camera driver is installed.
Now, you can use CapDVHS as usual to play back a tape and record it.

Alternatively, you can connect the camera in LIVE mode using meidvhs driver (same driver as used to capture HD from cable boxes etc)

* Move mstape.inf from windows\\inf somewhere else temp
* Put camera in CAMERA mode
* Connect 1394
* When prompted for driver, point to meidvhs driver and install

Now you can use it to capture with CapDVHS LIVE (*not* to record material already on tape). This is useful if you don't mind dragging your laptop along with the camera and recording direct to HDD.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-28-2006, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
Hi,

You don't need any 'drivers' from Sony. However, you do need to be running Windows XP SP2 with current updates. Please, no excuses that "SP2 sucks" or any other crap. No SP2, go install it. No XP, forget it, this is 2006 not 2000.

* Put camera in "PLAYBACK" mode
* Insert 1394
* Wait for windows to auto-detect D-VHS and install drivers.
I do have Windows XP + SP2 + all available updates until August 2006 and did the steps you recommended, but Windows still could not find the D-VHS drivers, it's not there in manual search also. If it was that simple I wouldn't need to ask... After a bit of tinkering, I found out the only way for me to capture video is to turn on the HDV-DV conversion, in this mode, Windows is able to locate and install my camcorder, but I wouldn't be able to transfer videos in its original HDV format.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-28-2006, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is nothing to "find".
Check windows\\inf for mstape.inf
Camera *must* be in playback mode, not in camera or still images mode.
Did you check device manager, the device driver is probably already installed if you plugged it in at least once.
What software are you using to capture? I've only used CapDVHS and TSReader.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I finally got it working after digging through various resources. The "mstape.inf" driver was not on the CD, probably because I removed it when I made nlited my Windows CD. I had to go download it on the internet and then it asked for mstape.sys and avcstrm.sys, which could not be downloaded anywhere without paying 9 euros each. Finally, I whipped out my uncustomized Windows SP2 CD and got all the necessary files and the DV cam appears to be working perfectly now....

Thanks for the pointers!

By the way, I use Nero to capture the videos, but I'll try CapDVHS, TSReader and HDVSplit when I get a chance, to see if they are better, but Nero works pretty good for my needs.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nero? Shudder.
Its nice to mention all the things you did to your windows installation AFTER I pointed out the problems. You'd probably get quicker reply if you said something along the lines of:

"I have a pirated windows install with half the components including firewire removed, I'm using Windows XP <insert version here>, I'm using Nero <insert version here> to try to download HDV, etc etc".

Then people wouldn't have to guess 90% of the things that could be wrong with your system.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well, for one thing the Windows isn't pirated. It's legal to create a customized Windows CD with components removed using nlite, but that's irrelevant.

And another is I didn't remove the firewire support. Had you read my post more clearly, you would see that I was able to capture video, but in DV format, which was obviously done with firewire connection.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Hi guys, looks like you've both been through the hc3 connection to capture HDV before. I have wondows xp sp2 and here's what I've done:
  • Turn on HC3 in Play/Edit mode
  • Check HC3 Menu > Standard Set > VCR HDC/DV is set to HDV
  • Plug in iLink cable connecting to PC
  • PC says found new AVC subunit, then immediately says DV Camcorder is ready for use
  • Neither CapDVHS or Ulead 10 will recognize the camcorder when in HDV mode, Ulead will recognize it in DV mode and capture DV output.

So it looks to me like the correct driver is not being installed ? Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

I have also been through the steps in this link:

http://hdvforever.com/hdv/hdrhc1/fre...re/default.htm

and when I Click on Sound, video and game controllers as the hardware type there is no Sony or Sony Corp even on the manufacturer list. Help! Can't seem to get the PC to recognize the HC3 as a D-VHS device or even find the drivers manually!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 44
To play back HDV, you need to be playing a tape made in the HD mode.
The drivers in device manager should look like these pictures
LL
LL
LL
post #10 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the screenshots, I don't have a an AV/C device under sound, video and game controllers. When I plug the ilink into the hc3 my pc always recognizes it as a DV camcorderd even when I've set it to output HDV. So I always end up with a Sony DV Camcorder device under Imaging Devices in Device Manager. been through several rounds of uninstall and new hardware detected and always ends up as a Sony DV Camcorder, never an AV/C device.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The DV Camcorder in the device manager should go away when you switch the camera to HDV at least it does with my HC1. John
post #12 of 15 Old 09-03-2006, 05:34 PM

OK, so I just noticed that when I actually press play on the camcorder when its outputting HDV I do see the AV/ device in device manager. After seeing that I was able to capture video with CapDVHS. Still no luck with Ulead 10 yet but hey thanks for the info John.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-08-2006, 04:09 AM

and when I Click on Sound, video and game controllers as the hardware type there is no Sony or Sony Corp even on the manufacturer list. Help! Can't seem to get the PC to recognize the HC3 as a D-VHS device or even find the drivers manually![/quote]

This is the problem im going through. Get so far throught the steps discribed in the link then no Sony listed. Where do i go from here? :confused:
post #14 of 15 Old 09-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iainross

and when I Click on Sound, video and game controllers as the hardware type there is no Sony or Sony Corp even on the manufacturer list. Help! Can't seem to get the PC to recognize the HC3 as a D-VHS device or even find the drivers manually!

This is the problem im going through. Get so far throught the steps discribed in the link then no Sony listed. Where do i go from here?
I apparently never needed to install the driver manually. I've read in several places that the D-VHS drivers come installed in XP already so these instructions to install the Sony drivers manually no longer make any sense to me. Been a frustrating journey to capture HD but all seems to be working now after I realized that the camcorder needs to be connected and playing HD for the PC to recognize it. I'm currently capturing using CapDVHS, still no luck getting Ulead 10 to recognize the HC-3.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydman
I apparently never needed to install the driver manually. I've read in several places that the D-VHS drivers come installed in XP already .
That is correct.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page