First HD camcorder: Sony HDR-SR1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get my first HD camcorder and after reading the forums here, some reviews, and the various manufacturer's sites it seems that the Sony HDR-SR1 is the front runner. My primary uses will be filming my kids, family events, and some sporting events. Some questions:
1. I don't have any experience with an HDD based camcorder, what kind of failure rates are people seeing due to embedded hard drives?
2. The various HD formats: it seems that I can download any of them to my computer and transcode them as needed, is that true? Any pro or con to the HDR-SR1 format?
3. Anyone got to play with a pre-release version of the HDR-SR1? if so can you comment?
4. How do HDD camcorders compare to MiniDV in general? The runner-ups have all been MiniDV based HD cameras.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Canon has released an HD palm sized camera as of today, the HV 10. It boasts 1920x1080 res. Check www.stevesdigicams.com for reviews.

Who's your daddy?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Any thoughts on which camera is better? The Sony HD or Canon's new HV10? I'm going to be buying one of them soon but can't decide which...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 PM

I think everyone will have to wait until both SR1 and HV10 are actually released and reviewed. Besides both being HD, they are different enough camcorders (matchbook vs. traditional, HDV vs. AVCHD, tape vs. HDD, etc.) that direct comparisions without reviews are pretty difficult.

I'm very excited by the flurry of new product releases though. Competition is good.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 PM

Only problem I have had with canon in the past is poor low level light performance.........the video is grainy compared to the sony (on past experience).

Who's your daddy?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 90
One of our AVS members has the Canon HV10. Take a look here for info. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=724204
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemloc
I'm looking to get my first HD camcorder and after reading the forums here, some reviews, and the various manufacturer's sites it seems that the Sony HDR-SR1 is the front runner. My primary uses will be filming my kids, family events, and some sporting events. Some questions:
1. I don't have any experience with an HDD based camcorder, what kind of failure rates are people seeing due to embedded hard drives?
2. The various HD formats: it seems that I can download any of them to my computer and transcode them as needed, is that true? Any pro or con to the HDR-SR1 format?
3. Anyone got to play with a pre-release version of the HDR-SR1? if so can you comment?
4. How do HDD camcorders compare to MiniDV in general? The runner-ups have all been MiniDV based HD cameras.

Thanks.
That model should be available late next month. Despite the convenience issue, it is my choice as well. I still haven't recorded in the AVC mode but am hoping it works well. We've carried HDD camcorders for well over a year. We have had no repair issues as yet from several camcorder sales

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page