On-line Vendors - How can price vary so much - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please do not post prices for vendors, so this thread does not get pulled.

When you Froogle items like the HDR-HC3 HDV the price varies by over 150% from lowest to highest.

The lowest do not have any star ratings points, are these just scams??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When I was looking I asked this same question. A lot of them were very tempting until I found web sites like epinions.com that allowed customers to review online vendors. There were some really bad experiences that I read about so I stayed away. In the past I've gone to B&H Photo & Audio because they have a huge selection, excellent customer service, and their prices are about as low as you can find. I have had instances where I've even haggled with them if their website links to a 'click for an emailed price'.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I used to hop on the train and go to B&HPhoto when I was still living in NY. Great service and low prices. Now I just order online and very much satisfied with every purchase. They are authorized dealers for a lot of name brands. I recently purchased a Yamaha YSP-800, a Panasonic SA-XR57 and my Sony HDR-HC1 from them.

Home Theater System: Sony VPL-HW45ES; 120" Carada 2.35:1 Criterion Series Projection Screen, Panamorph P752 Vertical Compression Anamorphic Lens, Lumagen VisionHDQ Video Processor, Oppo Digital BDP-93 Bluray Player, Origen AE X15e HTPC, Sony STR-DH590 Receiver, AV123 X-Series 5.1 Speaker System.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottatl
.......The lowest do not have any star ratings points, are these just scams??????
Most likely. Or gray markets/refurbs/etc. Top outfits like B+H typically do not allow themselves to get too far above street value on their items. While they are generally a little higher, the service is more than worth it.

You can often get a good sense of what street price is by comparing B+H, Adorama, and even eBay with the "buy it nows" and checking completed listings.

Anything much lower than that and it would be to your benefit to conduct a full-scale background check on the merchant. Use the ranking systems with Froggle, Pricegrabber, etc...and check them on www.resellerratings.com
post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
your looking at prices from msrp down to the scammers that dont have it in stock unless they sell you on super high price add on packages/warranties/accessories.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the deal looks too good to be true it probably is. I have a product that costs me a thousand dollars. I advertise it at $750. I offer several hundred dollar in accessories, which are needed. Lets say $500 worth that cost me $100. I add a profitable amount for shipping and I've made a couple of bucks. The customer wants the product only. That's fine, I charge his credit card and sit on the free money. I do enough of these and I'm making big bucks. That is one of the newer more popular web games. B&H was mentioned and there are several other reputable web sites. Be cautious and above all, if you buy on line, don't bug your local brick and mortar guy with questions before the sale. And if there are no more locals, well the customer always gets what they ask for.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page