Progressive scanning in digital cameras - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a sony DCR-HC42 miniDV handicam. I like it - in general - for its size and 16:9 capabilities.
But I saw that even if I transfer the material uncompressed through the firewireport in avi format, I still end up getting interlacing artifacts.
The specs doesnt in general say anything about the interlacing/progressive capabilities.
I also saw another sony handicam with my friend ( Sr100 with a 30GB hard disk ). That too produced interlacing artifacts.

My question is this : In general unless one goes with High definition handicams, it is true that he will be getting interlacing artifacts, no matter what the advertised number of pixels for the camera is.
In general, are there any *non-HD*handicams that can shoot in progressive scan mode ?
Thank you very much for reading
--nw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, just about any low-cost SD 'home' MiniDV camcorder will be interlaced.

There are usually 3CCD, more or less 'pro' models, which have a '24p' (for 24 frames/sec progressive) recording mode.
One such example is Panasonic AG-DVX100B, which records progressive in 24 and 30fps, as well as standard 60i (interlaced) that every other consumer DV camcorder can do.
It's also priced at ~$3500.
There are a number of others, from Canon and Sony as well.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-25-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :
But if what you are saying is true, I cant think of the reason why it is so ( that only pro models will be progressive scan )
After all the data bandwidth required is the same betweeb 30p and 60i.
The CCD being electronically driven, I dont quite understand why they provide progressive scan only in models ~3500

Will anybody care to shed some light please.

Also are there any utilities available that can tell whether a given AVI file is progressive scan or not.
--nw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is just how consumer DV works.
It is interlaced, because its destination would be a TV set or a DVD, both of which accept interlaced content without problem. All editing etc applications for DV usually work with interlaced source.

CCDs are progressive, but they're scanned at 60 *fields* per second, which is only half vertical resolution.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The NTSC TV system in North America and Japan is an interlaced system. If you take interlaced video and display it on an interlaced TV set, there are no interlace artifacts. If your intended audience will view your video on a NTSC TV set, no problem. This system has worked well 60 years.

Now if you intend to view your interlaced video on a computer monitor (which is a progressive scan system, you will probably have a few artifacts, but who cares? This is usually only during the editing process and you can learn to live with that.

You only need to consider what your end product will be viewed on. At least this is how I see it.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page