Panasonic HDC-SD9 Pre-release - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got it home, and no SD card. Well. so much for quickie review. Have one on mail order. But let me say,this SD9 is tiny. Truly is smaller that a 12 oz soda can.

Again, check your local circuit city stores.In stock. I was shocked too. Just cruising the BB, CC sites, and it showed up in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Just checked here in SLC, UT and no go. I borrowed a Canon XHA1 today to film a gymnastics meet - didn't use a tripod. Looking forward to small LIGHT camera!!!

Give us a review!!!!
post #33 of 44 Old 02-23-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Has anyone seen a comparison of PQ between the SD9 and the Canon HF10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 02-23-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The HF10 has 1/3.2 inch sensors vs 1/6 inch on the SD9.
post #35 of 44 Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 AM

I purchased mine at CC, and have been playing with it now for a couple of days.
It's one that I will take back, because I found it stutters playback.

With a class 4, type II 4 GB SDHC card, using the full HD mode at 60 frames/sec., there shouldn't be any stuttering. Really disappointed there. After all, the camcorder was not in motion, only two subjects on a stage, and they were walking casually. The lighting was typical 2-point wash at a medium intensity. With the absence of any fast movement on either end, the jumpy playback is inexcusable. This is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned.

I was prepared to accept some limitations for an $800 camcorder, but the unreliable playback is not negotiable.
post #36 of 44 Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 AM

You mean, onboard playback, on the Panasonic ? (not through a computer)
I owned the SD9 for a week (before I sell it because of it's bad picture quality), and did not notice any problem with playback..
post #37 of 44 Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 PM

I have revisited this post, because it turns out my memory card was causing the problems with jumpy playback. It was the recommended card, purchased with the camcorder. After replacing it with another card of the same class, all hiccuping has disappeared.
This doesn't mean the camera functions are any better, but with the major issue resolved, It's no problem to live with minor annoyances for the price.

MPEG-4, AVC/H.264

Shown are the times using the highest capacity SDHC card, 16GB, in each mode:

HA mode 1920 x 1080/60i - 17Mbps 'highest' picture quality {2 hrs}
HG mode 1920 x 1080/60i - 13Mbps 'high' picture quality {2 hrs, 40 min}
HX mode 1920 x 1080/60i - 9Mbps 'normal' picture quality {4 hrs}
HE mode 1440 x 1080/60i - 6Mbps {6hrs}

The manual DOES NOT have any information about 32 GB cards, even though Panasonic had to know they were due to be released soon after their product was.

Next, the LCD screen is overkill on over saturation. On a beautiful day at the park, it's hard to know if the green trees are really going to be that deep on your dvd, or if the display is off. Previously, I'd only used professional cameras indoors, under focused lighting. Good cameras show you what's there, the way your eyes see it. Outdoors, with this SD9, the colors are almost un-naturally deep, so I can't tell how much is 3 CCDs, vs. mis-representation from the LCD.

About the display, I haven't figured out how to turn off the large avatar (player controls) which appears on one side. I went into the setup menu, selecting Display OFF, but the transport buttons still appear. While it's nice to have, there should be an option to turn it off.
There is a point at which the user learns how to toggle stop/pause/>>/<< without looking, a large icon obscuring your High Definition image gets annoying.

About the Focus. Good and Bad.

Good - The Tele Macro mode is designed to operate at a distance of 20 inches, and at a magnification of at least 10x (less than 10x, tele-macro is automatically canceled.) Going wider, the auto focus will adjust continuously until 1x, where I got clear fingerprint at about 1.5 inches from the lens. Very good in that area.

Not as Good - In lower light (overcast morning) auto focus is slower than I'd prefer, mentally urging it to settle in every time I'm out to 10x zoom. Auto focus in the digital zoom range is almost non-existent, only bright illumination need apply.

Bad - The manual focus is either not enough, or too fast and crap-its-passed-it-already. Trying to nudge the joystick for precise focus never seems to make a move, but a constant press on the joystick will send focus rocketing past your sweet spot.

Microphone - A comment about the lack of microphone inputs sent me to the manual. The presets are either 5.1 surround, Zoom, or Focus modes. Individual levels are not available, but you can manually adjust the overall gain of all 5 mics.

About missing features, the lack of inputs seems a slap to the consumer. Before I purchased the Panasonic, I experimented with other flash-based HD camcorders that are less expensive. Of course, you get what you pay for, but a couple of these cheaper units would import your old video to 720p.

In summary, this camcorder is so cool looking, so light-weight, so almost-there. I can't decide if I want to wait to see if another contender shows at the same price point, or if If I can justify $1,000+ for the extra options of the Sony.
post #38 of 44 Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elifino View Post

About the display, I haven't figured out how to turn off the large avatar (player controls) which appears on one side. I went into the setup menu, selecting Display OFF, but the transport buttons still appear. While it's nice to have, there should be an option to turn it off.
There is a point at which the user learns how to toggle stop/pause/>>/<< without looking, a large icon obscuring your High Definition image gets annoying.

Just push the joystick once (not up/down/left/right, but like you were pushing a button) and it will disappear
To make it visible, push again.
post #39 of 44 Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldivide View Post

Just push the joystick once (not up/down/left/right, but like you were pushing a button) and it will disappear
To make it visible, push again.

Thanks for pointing that out. There's a catch tho, because making the icon disappear also disables the 4-way direction of the toggle. If you want to shuttle back-n-forth on the camera with no distracting icon, you must use the remote control (thereby always knowing where the remote is).
post #40 of 44 Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Hello eveybody,
I'd like to get me this camera. But I have a question and I hope you can help me. I will be going to Europe for a while (Military). Does the "AV out" support PAL? I cannot find anything about that, not even at the Panasonic website. Would somebody be so kind and check it in the user guide? Thank you.
post #41 of 44 Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 AM

No. Panasonic has a different version of this camcorder for different areas of the world. For example, if you were going to Germany, the model number would be HDC-SD9EG-S. I don't read Deutsch, but if you can, you could compare differences, if any. http://produkte.panasonic.de/product...N&upper=&prop=
As an active duty serviceman, you may get a chance to purchase 'universal' products through the base AP store, or the base exchange system. God Speed, and may you return from your tour safely and securely.

My latest comment on this camera had to do with photo performance. It is below average, so much so that the manual suggests using 'paused' frames from the high definition video if a photo isn't satisfactory. I had taken several indoor pictures of my dog from 3-4 feet. All of them were severely overexposed by the flash. The cheapest digital camera I ever tried didn't do this until I was much closer to the subject.
post #42 of 44 Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 AM

Thank you very much elifino. I better get it in Germany then.
post #43 of 44 Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 AM

hey i was gonan get a sd5 but found out it had no 24p mode and a sd9 doe shvae it, and somone is selling me a sd5 for 250$ and on ebay i seen some sd9 under 350

now is 24p really that cool? can i atleast notice a little diffrence? also would a sd5 or sd9 be better than a sanyo hd700 or hd1000?
post #44 of 44 Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi all, I finally got my Panasonic HDC-SD9D camcorder , but as soon as I wanted to move the recorded files from my sdhc 4G memory card to my computer I got a little frustrated , it keep saying that it can not read the it because the format is not compatible, I can do nothing I cant even play beck it on my computer when recorded in HD1940 format, I find out that I have to buy Panasonic VW-BN1 DVD burner which cost about £124, is there another way? I have Windows.XP and the software that came with the camera. Can you give me some advice please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page