Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #2161 of 2336 Old 12-19-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Thanks for clarifying. I'll look tomorrow for the updated software. This is a new build so shouldn't have any problem having a neutral used universally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2336 Old 12-19-2018, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I'll look tomorrow for the updated software. This is a new build so shouldn't have any problem having a neutral used universally.

I would have a couple of 6CL's on hand just in case. You may have some switches where the fixture is between the source and the switch. In this case, there may not be a neutral in the box and you would not be able to use the 6ND. I had one switch wired this way, even though my house is 1996 construction and has neutrals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2498912  
post #2163 of 2336 Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have found that generally the 6CLs work better than the 6NDs across a host of LED dimmable bulbs. Your mileage may vary, but I was disappointed with the 6ND.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2336 Old 12-20-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the practical experience. I'll probably order one of each and evaluate them myself on a few bulb types.
post #2165 of 2336 Old 12-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
I would have a couple of 6CL's on hand just in case. You may have some switches where the fixture is between the source and the switch. In this case, there may not be a neutral in the box and you would not be able to use the 6ND. I had one switch wired this way, even though my house is 1996 construction and has neutrals.
Quote:
Thanks for the practical experience. I'll probably order one of each and evaluate them myself on a few bulb types.
I have this wiring in my house and it drives me crazy. If you are having your new build, I'd recommend that you spec a neutral wire in every box.
post #2166 of 2336 Old 12-20-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
I have this wiring in my house and it drives me crazy. If you are having your new build, I'd recommend that you spec a neutral wire in every box.
I'll discuss it with builder and electrician. Its a custom home, they will ultimately do what I tell them within reason. May be a small surcharge for material, can't imagine it amounts to much in the overall picture.
post #2167 of 2336 Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
I'll discuss it with builder and electrician. Its a custom home, they will ultimately do what I tell them within reason. May be a small surcharge for material, can't imagine it amounts to much in the overall picture.
It is supposed to be code nationally. So verify but it shouldn’t be extra. If they don’t, you may want to get another electrician.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #2168 of 2336 Old 12-20-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
What version of the Essentials software are you running? That is likely the issue. When I completed the training and was given a link to download the software, it gave me a pretty old version. I created a MyLutron account and was able to download the latest version. That one had the 6ND dimmer.
Think my version is 11.6.0.

I created a mylutron account and poked around the various tabs, used the search box, but couldn't find the essentials software to download. Do I have to link it to my learn.lutron account to have that option? Looked for an aaccount number in learn and didn't see one there either.

I usually don't feel web ignorant but I made enough circles on mylutron I thought I'd just ask.
post #2169 of 2336 Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Think my version is 11.6.0.

I created a mylutron account and poked around the various tabs, used the search box, but couldn't find the essentials software to download. Do I have to link it to my learn.lutron account to have that option? Looked for an aaccount number in learn and didn't see one there either.

I usually don't feel web ignorant but I made enough circles on mylutron I thought I'd just ask.

Yes, the 2 accounts need to be linked. I now remember that I had to call Lutron to get the two linked up. Just like you, I couldn't figure out a way to do it myself. Their multiple websites (especially the Learn site) are not very user friendly or even up-to-date in appearance.

My Essentials software is 12.0.1. I haven't checked for an update in a while, there may be something even more recent. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
post #2170 of 2336 Old 12-21-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Oh yeah, it's up to version 12.0.1 now.

Lutron's handling of the website and the whole Essentials/Inclusive thing is... annoying at best.
post #2171 of 2336 Old 12-22-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is inclusive dealer only? What happens if I wind up needing 105 devices in essentials?

For me, a big selling point of Lutron is that I can program it myself. I don't mind so much if I need a dealer assistance to get initial configuration, but I'd really like to be able to tweak and adapt as we get acclimated to a system.
post #2172 of 2336 Old 12-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Is inclusive dealer only? What happens if I wind up needing 105 devices in essentials?

For me, a big selling point of Lutron is that I can program it myself. I don't mind so much if I need a dealer assistance to get initial configuration, but I'd really like to be able to tweak and adapt as we get acclimated to a system.
Inclusive is not dealer only. You do need to attend a Lutron training class to get the access to the upgrade from essentials.
post #2173 of 2336 Old 12-23-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Inclusive is not dealer only. You do need to attend a Lutron training class to get the access to the upgrade from essentials.
Ah. Well, will see how things look in essentials and go from there. Good to know there is a path.
post #2174 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
It was dealer only at the last time I reviewed because you needed to submit multiple projects, but keep in mind you’d need to go to PA or one other location and spend something like $1,000 plus travel.
post #2175 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Then hopefully I can keep it under 95. A bit worried about that since I assume even remote dimmers and Pico dimmers count. We will see.

Maybe a stupid question, but if an overlaid automation system was planned, like CQC or whatever, could that glue together two RadioRa 2 systems/main repeaters without them being internally connected? Unless the transmission frequencies/signals clash without the two being linked, which may be the case.

Have no problem paying the smallish fees I've seen for online system design, but programming... that's the deal breaker.
post #2176 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Then hopefully I can keep it under 95. A bit worried about that since I assume even remote dimmers and Pico dimmers count. We will see.

Maybe a stupid question, but if an overlaid automation system was planned, like CQC or whatever, could that glue together two RadioRa 2 systems/main repeaters without them being internally connected? Unless the transmission frequencies/signals clash without the two being linked, which may be the case.

Have no problem paying the smallish fees I've seen for online system design, but programming... that's the deal breaker.
yes, an automation system can bridge between multiple hubs / lighting systems, if programmed to do so (from the automation supplier), and configured to do so (by you / your installer). And certainly you can do a whole lot more at that point with the overall system.
With myServer and CQC you can do all the programming yourself. Or, at least with myServer, you can have us do it for you, either initially or also ongoing. Whatever you need.
post #2177 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any idea about conflicts between Ra2 signaling? I assume frequency band would be the same. My fear is that device 1 in system 1 and device 1 in system 2 might look the same to both main repeaters, and thus if in range respond to commands from either.

Conceptually, I have no problem with independent systems on floors 1 and 2 so long as there isn't a crosstalk issue as above. Most dimmers would be local to those rooms anyway, and more generic keypad scenes like "all off" can easily enough ping both systems I guess.
post #2178 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Think of it as two apartments next to each other, each having their own RadioRa devices. Yes, the frequencies "co-mingle" but the devices aren't subscribed to both hubs so the hub to device relationship is "private".
Same thing with your neighbor and your WiFi coexisting. But your devices aren't authenticated to the neighbors access point, so they can't get to your device's files and functions. Yes there are some RF downsides when the airwaves get too saturated, but typically not an issue.
post #2179 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool, good to know. I didn't think of an apartment situation. I was thinking with limited range there might not be a need to be so tidy with the digital pairing.
post #2180 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Deep Sea Sound

And that brings up that I’d recommend a left-right configuration as opposed to an up-down setup as that way you could put a main repeater on the left and right of your house and have better coverage of your house and less overlap/interference.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #2181 of 2336 Old 12-24-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the tip. I've got some work to do in essentials to see just what my device count might be.
post #2182 of 2336 Old 12-25-2018, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
yes, an automation system can bridge between multiple hubs / lighting systems, if programmed to do so (from the automation supplier), and configured to do so (by you / your installer). And certainly you can do a whole lot more at that point with the overall system.
With myServer and CQC you can do all the programming yourself. Or, at least with myServer, you can have us do it for you, either initially or also ongoing. Whatever you need.
Sorry for the somewhat off topic question but I’m currently trying to tie an AV system together that has components that are controllable vía IR (in multiple rooms), IP, and RS-232. I’ve been looking at a variety of control systems but haven’t looked at myServer or CQC closely. My question is why would you need both? They seem somewhat redundant.
post #2183 of 2336 Old 12-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
Sorry for the somewhat off topic question but I’m currently trying to tie an AV system together that has components that are controllable vía IR (in multiple rooms), IP, and RS-232. I’ve been looking at a variety of control systems but haven’t looked at myServer or CQC closely. My question is why would you need both? They seem somewhat redundant.
You wouldn’t. myServer and CQC are competitors and do the same thing. I have a license to CQC but really don’t use it anymore but it is good software with great support. I’m not familiar with myServer. But CQC could do what you’re trying to do assuming all of your devices have a driver, which you could send an email with your model numbers to get an answer. And Cocoontech.com forum has a lot more information and people knowledgeable about automation systems and software (security too).

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 12-25-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #2184 of 2336 Old 12-25-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

yes, dgage is correct.
myServer and CQC are similar solutions that compete with each other. No need to have both.
You might also read about Homeseer. A third good example of similar. All three are probably the most powerful automation controllers on the market, at any price. Certainly there are pros and cons comparing one to the other.

If the automation software has a RadioRa driver, and allows for multiple instances or multiple Ra hub connections, then the software can bridge between the user interface, the macros, the event triggers to the multiple Ra hubs. Then, each Ra hub sends "private" commands to each RadioRa device that it is enrolled to (paired with).

For ksalno's use case, the automation software also helps bridge multiple inputs to multiple outputs. IR, Serial, TCP are examples of communication mechanisms that can be an Input or as an Output.

So, myServer (for example) can "Hear" an IR remote button push, and then myServer can run a rule that says "when I hear IR Button X get pushed, I should tell the RadioRa light in the theater room to turn off by sending a IP message to RadioRa hub #2 ." and "warm the projector up by sending a On command via serial port #3 . And Turn on the AV Receiver by sending an IP command to IP address .123". Etc.
ksalno likes this.
post #2185 of 2336 Old 12-26-2018, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Lutrons RadioRA2

Isn’t it better to use a wired lighting control system for a new build (as was stated a few posts back) to not only improve reliability, but to reduce the number of traditional ganged switches needed on the walls ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2186 of 2336 Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

re: new build:
Yes, hard wired, home run systems are the best but at a major premium in price.
RadioRa2 can also be wired to minimize multigang switches by locating the load switching to an appliance room ("semi home run wired") and putting multi button switches in a single gang in the room that are programmed to turn the right load switch on / off / dim.
Most of the advantages of a true home run, but at least half the cost.
post #2187 of 2336 Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 93
FYI, Lutron is having a price increase on January 20th. This effects all Lutron distributors. We don't know exactly what parts and what % exactly, but they are stating systems, so it will effect RR2.
Many of you have been getting the same pricing for years with no price increase, so this was inevitable.

From Lutron:
"As previously communicated in our email dated November 16, 2018, Lutron will adjust pricing on select products in the commercial systems, residential systems, shades, and fixture product families effective January 20, 2019. This price increase will average 4% and is necessary due to multiple cost impacts in the overall marketplace."

"Systems" means Caseta, Select, Radio Ra 2, Grafik Eye & Home Works. We have skirted other price increases in the past, but this one is across the board. 4% isn't huge, especially from all the other tariff related increases we've seen being 15-25% in the lighting and electrical industry.

The last day we'll be able to take orders at regular price will be the 18th. If I have quoted you something, including shades, the quote price will only be good until the 18th as well.

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
[email protected]
post #2188 of 2336 Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Isn’t it better to use a wired lighting control system for a new build (as was stated a few posts back) to not only improve reliability, but to reduce the number of traditional ganged switches needed on the walls ?

Yes, to both. But the home runs can be expensive as mentioned, or the idea is to just get the stuff out of site, so another perspective, is just moving them to another accessible area. Maybe a closet, attic, basement, mechanical room, pantry, etc... In other words, if you are planning a new build or major remodel, place the dimmers out of site, and place Keypads as necessary (where it makes sense to). Especially in rooms with 3 or more dimmers. The nice part of RR2 is we also have the Hybrid Keypad & Dimmer in one, so you can leave at least 1 local lighting circuit. If you are just replacing dimmers or switches in an existing home, you may not have the luxury of placing dimmers & switches where you want. In this case the Hybrid Keypad/Dimmer is also a great choice, but also take a look at you multi-locations circuits (3-ways & 4-ways). If you have a switch at either end of a Hall or Stairs, typically one of these locations is a high traffic area that could use a keypad. One of the Keypads buttons can be programmed for the 3-way operation for those hall/stair lights and the other location is reconfigured to a single pole. We call this a virtual 3-way & keeps you from adding or enlarging existing switch boxes. Also their PICO scene controller is a great add-on for up to 3 scenes (+off). That can be placed without a box.

Paul W.
'Lutron Grafik Eye & Radio Ra Specialist - or anything Lutron'
Hanks Electrical Supply
www.hankselectric.net
FB Page
[email protected]
post #2189 of 2336 Old 01-03-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I sometimes use RadioRA2 in some of my clients houses. It uses a wireless solution to bring everything together and work. It’s actually really good, and I’ve had GREAT experiences with it. There’s other solutions such as UPB. Which run off the neutral wire in the house. The problem with that however, is that sometimes you’ll get noise somewhere on the line, and it is a pain to find and fix at times. Depending on the house, the material the house is made of, I tend to use either UPB or Radio RA2. I’m not a fan of using Zigbee devices, so it’s usually those two.
post #2190 of 2336 Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I have Lutron shades and lights in my home. They were installed 5 years ago before a lot of smart home tech was around. I mostly wanted them for the shades which were/are the best and quietest in the business.

I'm now looking at more home automation but I'd like to move away from the proprietary dealer-centric model Lutron requires. Specifically I'd like something to integrates with my existing RadioRA2 Lutron network but will also handle things like door locks, sprinklers, some IFTTT, and if possible AV abilities. I have a home theater (receiver, Nvidia Shield and Projector) I'd like to hook up for easy control under one system. I suspect I'll have to get a Harmony Remote in the end but are there any existing Home Automation products that work with RadioRA2? It seems they've heavily protected their controls.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
lighting control , wireless switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page