Quick automation questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have Control4 for my home automation and in the theater have added an Emotiva amp to run my front stage and an EP4000 to power my Danley DTS10 kit. My question is what is the best way to turn these on and off with the home automation. The EP4000 doesnt have any IR controls and turns on and off with a hard switch on the front. The Emotiva may have something else to be able to control it but I was hoping for some help with everyone that has already experienced this.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not familiar with Emotiva. Which model is it? If they have IR or RS232 control, it should work with Control4 (i'm a Crestron programmer not Control4 so I'm going off of Crestron capabilities).

As for the EP4000, if it only has a hard switch that's the only way to power it on and off. Is it a problem if it's on all the time? You could talk to an integrator about doing a custom circuit board/controller to make a small motor flip the switch on and off. That would be very expensive though, much more than just leaving it on all the time.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Liked: 20
The Emotiva amp should have a 12v Trigger IN. With this you can power it on and off via C4 IF your C4 controller has an available IO or Relay port. You will want to check with your C4 dealer in regards to adding 12v Trigger control.

As far as the EP4000 goes. You can not remotely turn on or this device using Control4.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the C4 controller have any relays built into it? You could pass the power of the two units through a relay activated switch of some sort...or use C4's switched lamp/lighting (outlet adapter with remote on/off ability) solution?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by weddellkw View Post

...or use C4's switched lamp/lighting (outlet adapter with remote on/off ability) solution?

I would be leary of using C4's switched lamp/lighting outlet adapter. If you do make sure it can handle the 15 Amps the EP4000 requires. I don't think C4's outlet adapter can handle that.

With that said, no matter what your C4 dealer tells you, make sure you check with an electrician to see if the C4 outlet adapter can handle the draw of the EP4000 or the Emotiva.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious View Post

I would be leary of using C4's switched lamp/lighting outlet adapter. If you do make sure it can handle the 15 Amps the EP4000 requires. I don't think C4's outlet adapter can handle that.

With that said, no matter what your C4 dealer tells you, make sure you check with an electrician to see if the C4 outlet adapter can handle the draw of the EP4000 or the Emotiva.

Yeah, that was not a well thought-out suggestion, was just thinking about turning a device on and off without considering we're talking about an amplifier...
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
What about power strips that have advanced controls? If the power strip senses current through outlet A then it will activate outlets B-E, or something like that. I think several manufacturers offer them.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you all for your replies.

I think I have narrowed down the Emotiva to the 12v trigger and the EP4000 to plug into the Monster cable power conditioner. It looks like I can remote switch certain plugs on and off and it looks like it is also a 12v trigger.

I have never used 12v triggers myself but am assuming I can just use the ones coming from my receiver to these and it will power them up. Any suggestions for me to proceed?

Thanks again

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page