Multiple trigger light controll for home theater? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am looking for a light control to control the eye-strain reducing lights that I have set up on the sides of my display. What I am wondering if there are any out there that allow multiple triggers. I would like the lights to be on when it is dark outside, however, I also only want them on then I am watching something on the display. In other words, I want them to be on when I am watching something and when room lighting conditions necessitate their use - i.e., when ambient light is minimal.

I am looking for suggestions as to how this might be accomplished.

One thought I had was that there could be multiple trigger inputs and that the light would only be on if both triggers were active. That way, I might have one of the triggers come from an ambient light sensor or computer that turns the trigger on based on sunset / sunrise times through the year, and the other trigger comes from my receiver or remote control system.

I am open to suggestions, though, as to how this might be accomplished.

Thanks.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 151
It'd start with having dimmers controlling the lights. Many vendors have options for this. Then you'd have to decide just how much automation you want involved. Some systems are more controllable than others.

Many of the systems have timers and features for sunrise/sunset triggers. Which works great most of the time but wouldn't help deal with ambient light levels on sunny vs overcast days. Not always a big deal for most lighting scenarios, but could be for yours.

Adding ambient light sensing is not all that trivial. It's got many of the same complications that come up when trying to determine occupancy. Someone walking around is relatively easy to detect. But what if they're sedentary siting on a couch. It becomes difficult for automated systems to 'know' if you're there or not. This is a problem for office or home theater situations.

The important question here is how much are you budgeting for this?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thanks for your reply.

My plans are to use a dimmer for the light strips.

I think I may have a solution to this that is relatively inexpensive, and I have decided to abandon the 12V trigger approach. The solution is as follows:

I am switching my remote from a Pronto TSU-7500 to Command Fusion's iViewer running on Android. The particular Android that I am using has an ambient light sensor that iViewer can read. In addition, iViewer can send commands using tcp/ip, i.e., my local network. There are ip based power switches - specifically these http://3gstore.com/product/4186_single_outlet_remote_power_switch.html

My current plan is that when the system is turned on using iViewer, check the ambient light level in the room by using the Android's sensor. If the ambient light level meets a certain threshold, send a command to the ip power switch to turn on the lights. The actual level of the lights, of course, will be set accordingly with the dimmers.

Given what I understand about iViewer, this is within the realm of possibility. Implementing it and seeing if it works will be the next step. smile.gif

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page