Rs232 control on my projector via GC100 (irule) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I'm looking at setting up a projector with rs232 control and using a gc-100 to control via my iPad. I have a few noob questions:

1.Is it possible just to run a db9 to rj45 covert or and use a cat5 run to connect the two devices?

2. Is the process for setting the serial similar to the IR commands on the ir port on the gc?

3. Is the 12v connection as simple as it looks? Ie connection the projector and screen via the 3.5mm jack lead, enable the setting and the screen will go up/down when the projector is switched on/off?

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
I can't answer the rest, but most 12v screen triggers are that easy. They work the same as amp triggers. When 12v is present, the screen will drop. When 12v is removed the screen will raise. 3.5mm MONO connector, not a stereo connector!

Just for grins I'll take a stab at #1....

Yes, DB9 to RJ45 converters can be used at either end. You do want to be sure that you are connecting Tx to Rx and vice versa from source to sink. Typically a male pin #2 is Rx and male pin #3 is Tx, and pin #5 is ground. Generally no other pins must be connected. You will need to look at the owner's manual (or tech manual) to see the pinouts to be sure.

You can also get a DB9 termination kit that you can use with cat5 cable and some pliers...
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/RS-232-Connector-Kit-DB9-Female/FA049

I've used these before and it leaves you a very nice looking final connection as there are no adapters between or tabs to break off a RJ45 cable.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 896
I'm controlling my JVC projector via RS232 from a GC100, and use iRule. Very simple if you're already familiar with iRule. And yes, RJ45 to RS232 adapters at both ends works fine. Depending on the device types, if needed you can do the DTE/DCE send/receive pin swapping in the adapter (keep the wiring a straight pass-through so you don't confuse yourself years later).

My projector has a 12V trigger output that can be controlled - what model projector? But yes, as AV_ said, 12V triggers are just that simple.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Jeff,

I'm fancying a optoma hd25... the reviews are decent.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page